PDA

View Full Version : Wesley's "Big" Buck Landed

Wesley w/Glock
12-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi folks,

This is my first year hunting so I have much to learn. Since acquiring my ten acre home earlier this year I have been preparing both the land and myself for the season. I sent Deputy out on opening day of archery season and he bagged himself a respectable doe. On opening day of gun season SavedbydBelle and I sat up sixteen feet in my tree stand all day and saw nothing. Then muzzle loading season opened up and I sat up there all day Saturday, all of Sunday afternoon, and then again all day Monday.

Monday was my big day for that was the day I landed my really "big" buck. After waiting all day, about 5:15pm three deer came prancing down on my bait pile. Two stood off to the side of the bait pile and one landed on it like it was feeding time and saying, "Who has time for looking around?" All three were turned in my direction. It nibbled on the bait pile and I began to cautiously swing around into shooting position. It looked up sixteen feet at 50 yards at me so I froze. Then it began eating again and one of the other deer still off to the side soon after looked up at me and again I had to freeze. Eventually I lined up on the deer on the bait pile and placed my cross-hairs on it. I was a little concerned wondering what might happen with to the insides with my bullet entering the chest and traveling down the entire length coming out somewhere around the pooper. I went ahead and took the shot.

The deer began to run as if I had missed but I knew that no question remained at that range so I just watched. It did me a great favor in that it ran in a circle as if I was at the center. It eventually ran into a tree and fell, squirmed a minute and then got up to run another five yards where it dropped into its final resting place.

Eventually I went to the deer to examine it where I discovered that it had a little teeney, weeney, eensey weensey little pee-pee. It was a button buck!!! Well... I have much to learn.

Gutting it I found that its innards were a mess. My .50 cal bullet had entered and traveled the full length of the animal exiting a little below and to the side of the pee-pee and took some intestine out with it which was pulled outside the hyde.

I guess one would be correct in saying that I shot Bambi.

RSF
12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
hell i thoughtn it was one of sandi's dogs! lol

good job on your first deer wes! you have everything to proud about!
good clean kill, good food to come

BA
12-16-2004, 05:43 PM
No, Wesley you didn't shoot Bambi, your shot Bambi's older brother "TASTY" One in the Freezer is all that matters. Good job and Good eatin.

ba

Fiddler
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Good job, Wes! Congratulations. :thup:

Barbara
12-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Congrats!

:D

G22
12-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Way to go Wes :D

cl
12-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Most likely he would have frozed to death Sun nite anyway.

I read an interesting article recently.. 30% of deer in an area are fawns-but 60% of wither kill are fawns. The problem is that the winter kill dont happen till Late March. If it would happen sooner that would mean that much food for the others. Depending on available food, your location and the winter we all get that is the reason for some anterless harvest--early in the winter cycle.

ANIMAL
12-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Saw a small doe this afternoon just north of Deckerville about five miles. She was standing off the road about 20 feet and had an area torn up under an apple tree. She wasn't paying no mind to the cars going by.