PDA

View Full Version : Negligent Discharge - Man shoots himself with a Hydra Shoks (Warning - GRAPHIC PICS)

doctorj77
10-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but just now found this. This guy was changing the grip safety on his RIA 1911, and failed to clear the action. He shot himself in the right leg with a Hyrda Shok 230gr. What a ******* idiot. I mean I know it can happen to anyone who gets complacent just once. But changing a grip safety without removing the slide, OR clearing the weapon is just dumb

http://negligentdischarge.com/leg.html

and here is a 2nd link showing the wound after it was cleaned up more

http://negligentdischarge.com/updates.html

RPMO6
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
OH MY LORD!

It is hideous...I haven't even read the explanation. I was completely taken when I saw the lower...sooo lucky.

k9guysarge
10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I bet he is wishing he would have cleared that weapon before hand...:tsk:

tom-n8ies
10-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I'll bet he knew he messed up right when he did it.

hopeitsfast
10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
"Life sucks until you accidentally shoot yourself in the leg. Then you realize life hadn't sucked as much as you thought it had."

I loved this line. It sounds like that man went through quite the ordeal.

thatguy423
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised his whole body didn't explode on impact.. It was a .45 after all! :D

Made_in_Michigan
10-07-2010, 03:45 PM
His writing is worth the read as well. I like how he took responsibility for his actions immediately.

jackle1886
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
What a long terrible ordeal. Besides the fact that he could of cleared his weapon, what if he had just pointed it in a safe direction when pulling the trigger? What a difference following even some of the rules of gun safety, all would be best, but just ONE of the rules would of saved him from this.

kimber745
10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised his whole body didn't explode on impact.. It was a .45 after all! :D

It sure did a lot of damage though!!!!!

tote'ngranny
10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Gotta feel a lot of empathy for this guy. His whole world has changed since that accident, and then to loose his wife.

Joeywhat
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM

yeah, but they were hydra-shoks. Everyone knows that stuff is too old school and doesn't do any real damage...so it only performed like a 9mm.

Now if that were Extreme Shock ammo, he would no longer have a leg, and the hydrostatic shock from the round travelling through the leg would've turned him into a female.

dpgperftest
10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
All I can say is that’s the kind of SH$% that make you think GUN Safety Safety Safety ...

thatguy423
10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
yeah, but they were hydra-shoks. Everyone knows that stuff is too old school and doesn't do any real damage...so it only performed like a 9mm.

Now if that were Extreme Shock ammo, he would no longer have a leg, and the hydrostatic shock from the round travelling through the leg would've turned him into a female.

Sorry about that Joe I was under assumption they were Extreme Shocks.. Had I known they were measly Hydras I would brush it off as simply a flesh wound.. Besides.. A .45 will take a jetliner down from the stratosphere.. Duh..

RSF
10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
they are life saftey rules not gun saftey or range rules

they are LIFE because they apply to whatever you do in your daily life while carry a loaded firearm

autosurgeon
10-07-2010, 08:29 PM

they are LIFE because they apply to whatever you do in your daily life while carry a loaded firearm

AMEN!!!

Islander48506
10-07-2010, 08:43 PM
AMEN!!!
+1+1+1

dpgperftest
10-07-2010, 08:52 PM

AMEN

kimber745
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM

:lolup: Dats funny

jmacken37
10-09-2010, 10:42 AM
This is always good stuff to read. It reminds me to always be diligent. There but for the grace of God go I is my response. It is very easy to armchair quarterback this stuff.

Jake

customizedcreationz
10-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I remember seeing this years ago when it happened.

I had a customer MGO member negligently discharge his gun in my shop and destroyed alot of things. Luckily never hurt anyone physically.

He thought the gun was unloaded and ( glock ) with the stupid having to pull the trigger to take the slide off.......

Now I have signs ....

It happens, no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, most are lucky its not something critical like this guys accident....

_DK_
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I remember seeing this years ago when it happened.

I had a customer MGO member negligently discharge his gun in my shop and destroyed alot of things. Luckily never hurt anyone physically.

He thought the gun was unloaded and ( glock ) with the stupid having to pull the trigger to take the slide off.......

Now I have signs ....

It happens, no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, most are lucky its not something critical like this guys accident....

My XD is the same way, you must pull the trigger. My M&P's come with a "tool", but you can just pull the trigger as well... Does everyone use the tool to field strip an M&P Semi-auto or do they pull the trigger?

kkolodsick
10-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Does everyone use the tool to field strip an M&P Semi-auto or do they pull the trigger?

Pull the trigger

Garretts_turbo
10-14-2010, 04:22 PM
yikes. those pictures made me a bit squirmish haha....good insight into just how much the gun wound affected his life

dirtyharry
10-14-2010, 06:32 PM
That sucks. I think that when things like that happen, it is good to spread the word (and pics) to remind everyone how important it is to always be vigilant about gun safety. I think it was great that he kept a journal of his ordeal. Often times you hear about someone shooting themselves, and don't really think about what they have to go through afterwords as far as recovery.

Obviously he's lucky that it wasn't worse (not that it wasn't horrible already), but I couldn't help think about the issues he'd be having if it had penetrated the length of his leg rather than perpendicular.

justin92
10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
i got a kick outta this and i read his whole story and he admits he was dumbbut how dumb can you be to shoot youself in the leg?

Dabears!
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
i got a kick outta this and i read his whole story and he admits he was dumbbut how dumb can you be to shoot youself in the leg?

I'm just gonna go ahead and guess that you are a moron.

scecil
10-21-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm just gonna go ahead and guess that you are a moron.
+1

JimSig
10-21-2010, 08:55 PM
man.. after reading his posts all the way till his wife died, i feel depressed.. I just gave my wife a big hug as she was washing the dishes.. She didn't know what was that about... I feel sorry for this guy.. What a series of missfortunate events..

Darminator
10-21-2010, 11:13 PM
This man put a .45 ACP Black Talon bullet through his hand.

http://www.thegunzone.com/nd.html

Always remember to check........ :shocked:

Darminator
10-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Does anyone have his user name on the GT forum?

snapshotdod
10-22-2010, 01:07 AM
after looking over all that all I can say is, I sure as heck don't want to get shot! PERIOD

seeker01
10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
His writing is worth the read as well. I like how he took responsibility for his actions immediately.
...ultimately, a reminder for us all to be always conscientious about being safe and remembering the key 4 rules.

XDM 40 cal
11-01-2010, 05:11 AM
WOW, Well i guess gun safety was a miss when he relaxed and became complacence...
I would think this guy learn a hard way...

justin92
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
imagine how bad it would burn

TAC
12-11-2010, 01:23 PM
It doesn't appear from the pictures there was any expansion.