PDA

View Full Version : Used 1911 questions

SparkyAR
10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Hello all,
I am going down to look at/maybe buy a 1911 some time next week. I have no experiance with any 1911s. All my other pistols are Sig Sauer P220-series. What should I look for? What problems do I need to look for? Thanks. Any help will be great!

SparkyAR
10-07-2010, 05:41 PM
The gun in question is a Sig Sauer 1911 GSR with rails.

kimber745
10-07-2010, 06:17 PM
One thing I always check is what I call the lock up. With the slide forward check for play between the frame and the slide it should be minimal to none.

Combat Commander
10-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Slide to frame fit don't mean much in a 1911. How well the barrel is fitted to the slide and bushing is a big deal. If it's to tight or too lose it will cause all kind of problems. Safety check and have a good 1911 guy if you can check it out.

Sigs are pretty good out of the box if not Sig will take care of you.

kimber745
10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Slide to frame fit don't mean much in a 1911. How well the barrel is fitted to the slide and bushing is a big deal. If it's to tight or too lose it will cause all kind of problems. Safety check and have a good 1911 guy if you can check it out.

Sigs are pretty good out of the box if not Sig will take care of you.

Your right frame fit doesn't matter if you like a loose sloppy gun that rattles.
Sure there is more to look for!

Combat Commander
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Your right frame fit doesn't matter if you like a loose sloppy gun that rattles.
Sure there is more to look for!

That was not my point if a gun that has a tight slide to frame fit it don't mean its good to go. It just means it don't rattle.

I agree there is alot to look at. If your going to play with 1911's you need to do your homework. There like anything else in life the more you know the less problems you will have.

I like 1911's that shoots well and feeds ammo all the time.

You can Keep the Bling give me a 1911 that sings.

Here is something you will find useful and good luck with the 1911

http://www.coolgunsite.com/buying/buying.htm

Good sight with lots of info and some good people.
http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

kimber745
10-07-2010, 07:11 PM
That was not my point if a gun that has a tight slide to frame fit it don't mean its good to go. It just means it don't rattle.

I agree there is alot to look at. If your going to play with 1911's you need to do your homework. There like anything else in life the more you know the less problems you will have.

I like 1911's that shoots well and feeds ammo all the time.

You can Keep the Bling give me a 1911 that sings.

Ok then stick to the OP's question and offer what you would look for so he can get the help he's looking for. No reason to say I'm wrong because I'm not. I offered one thing figuring others would offer input.

kimber745
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.coolgunsite.com/buying/buying.htm

Good link.

Combat Commander
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Ok then stick to the OP's question and offer what you would look for so he can get the help he's looking for. No reason to say I'm wrong because I'm not. I offered one thing figuring others would offer input.

Sorry I thought I did, it must be me I've been pissing alot of people off lately.

Really I was trying to help the guy out.

SparkyAR
10-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys!

Combat Commander
10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
IMO Sigs are one of the best non custom 1911. I think you will enjoy it Holster are a little harder to fine ( some 1911 holster will not work with the Sig)

hashelocmaccabee
10-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I have this thing about spending money on 1911s not made in the USA. I figure with a pistol that has deep history and many years of service to the USA... If it's not free, it should be American.

that goes for ARs, Garands, M1As, Colt SAA clones.

I'm not saying the Sigs are not good, I'm just a pratriot

hopeitsfast
10-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I have this thing about spending money on 1911s not made in the USA. I figure with a pistol that has deep history and many years of service to the USA... If it's not free, it should be American.

According to everything i have read, Sig 1911s are made in America. Do you have a link that says otherwise? I can't find one.

pkuptruck
10-24-2010, 02:21 AM

the Sig 1911 ( while I personally DONT care for them...) are (were?) made right here in the good ole USA... Frames and Slides were originally contracted thru arguably one of the finer 1911 mass producers of AWESOME
frames/slides.... Caspian..

Earlier models had some issues.... but the basic function ( besides the god-aweful external extractor..LOL) is all 1911...

Getting one to run right isnt all that much work.... and the origin is forged steel, Whats not to like?

hashelocmaccabee
10-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm sorry, I ASSuMEd they were imported. In that case, I don't have anything to say about them.

joepistol
10-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Ever since I purchased a (used) Sig 220 (also 45 ACP) I've wanted
a Sig 1911..they are kinda pricey (like a Colt or Kimber isn't ?) I still can't believe how "managable" (& accurate!) my Sig 220 is....(now 1 of my Favorites)

If I ever find a clean used Sig 1911GSR@ an attractive price
( it COULD happen ! ) it'll be in my collection... Joepistol..:pistols:

fuerstma
10-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Xavier often bugs me, but he did do a good writeup on buying a used 1911.

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/10/checking-used-1911-with-purchase-in.html