PDA

View Full Version : Conceal Carry Full Auto?

SpaceOddity
10-07-2010, 09:43 PM
This is just out of curiosity, but assuming you had the proper paperwork to own a full auto NFA handgun - would it be legal to conceal carry something like a Glock 18? Or even more ridiculous, could a civilian legally conceal carry a pre-1984 full-auto HK MP5K with just a Michigan CPL?

mechredd
10-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't see why not. If it's technically a MI pistol, then you should be able to CC it under a CPL.

Fuel Fire Desire
10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Ted Nugent does.

He constantly brags about the automatic MP5 he keeps in his truck.

mini4m3
10-08-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't see why not. If it's technically a MI pistol, then you should be able to CC it under a CPL.

My hypothesis....

NFA laws would trump all that jazz. It'd be a machine gun - not a "michigan pistol" thats full auto also. That being said its concealed pistol license not CCW anymore.

ahlbe1cl
10-17-2010, 10:28 PM
That would definetly be a grey area. A court might ask why you would want to conceal an automatic weapon for self defense

Joeywhat
10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
My hypothesis....

NFA laws would trump all that jazz. It'd be a machine gun - not a "michigan pistol" thats full auto also. That being said its concealed pistol license not CCW anymore.

I don't think MI considers those pistols anyways. Since we are allowed FA's here, I think Michigan considers them as machine guns ONLY...which is why we can have SBR's here as long as it's full auto. It's an MG before anything else.

GLOCKME
10-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't think MI considers those pistols anyways. Since we are allowed FA's here, I think Michigan considers them as machine guns ONLY...which is why we can have SBR's here as long as it's full auto. It's an MG before anything else.

I concur,MG first!!!

chewy
10-18-2010, 06:05 AM
My impression is also that it's a MG first. I'll call MSP today and from work (my real job :) ) and see if I can get clarification on that.

pgaplayerless
10-18-2010, 06:07 AM
My impression is also that it's a MG first. I'll call MSP today and from work (my real job :) ) and see if I can get clarification on that.

Tee hee hee too chicken to use ur home phone? :p ;)

zigziggityzoo
10-18-2010, 07:00 AM
A machine gun that meets the following definition can be considered to be a "pistol" for the purposes of MI Law.
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-421

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

What's funny is that a Machine Gun is not a shotgun or a rifle, because those definitions say precisely that one pull of the trigger = one projectile fired (or one shotshell, of course), and anything else doesn't fit the definition.

jmacken37
10-18-2010, 12:48 PM
This is just out of curiosity, but assuming you had the proper paperwork to own a full auto NFA handgun - would it be legal to conceal carry something like a Glock 18? Or even more ridiculous, could a civilian legally conceal carry a pre-1984 full-auto HK MP5K with just a Michigan CPL?

The problem is that the Feds and the State have differing definitions when it comes to firearms.

If you've ever shot a G18, you'd never carry one...

Jake

mini4m3
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
The problem is that the Feds and the State have differing definitions when it comes to firearms.

If you've ever shot a G18, you'd never carry one...

Jake

I'd carry one if I could own one.

chewy
10-18-2010, 04:41 PM
I'd carry one if I could own one.

Well, don't have an 18 but have a full auto 17 and 22 and have carried both :)

mini4m3
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

...at the same time....dual shoulder harness

SpaceOddity
10-18-2010, 05:46 PM
...at the same time....dual shoulder harness

That sounds action-movie worthy

Pyzik
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
<-------- Jeleous!
I'll be keeping an eye on your Nov. shoot. That's not too far from me.

willowofwisp
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM

how controllable is a g22 full auto?

GarrettJ
10-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Think of it this way: you are allowed to carry a pistol (as defined under MI law) with your CPL. But if it's not a "pistol" you can't carry it concealed.

I think the pertinent question is whether or not a machine gun (assuming it's shorter than 30") is required to be registered as a pistol under Michigan law.

As to why you would want to CC a MG, "carry" includes the manner in which you can or cannot transport in your vehicle, does it not?

mini4m3
10-18-2010, 09:57 PM

without a shoulder stock its kinda rough to stay on target.

The big thing with the Glock full autos is the muzzle flip, the gun just wants to point vertical.

willowofwisp
10-19-2010, 03:58 AM
without a shoulder stock its kinda rough to stay on target.

The big thing with the Glock full autos is the muzzle flip, the gun just wants to point vertical.

That's why yyou aim at the ground! i wouldn't mind a g18c either though.

chewy
10-19-2010, 05:37 AM

Well, I've been shooting my whole life, qualified expert in the military and LE for over 18 years, worked on an SRT/Entry team for four years and have shot about half of the weapons known to man but I can't keep it in one spot! I would NEVER use the 22 on full auto for defense, it's way to hard to keep on target. With a stock it's great but the 9mm is 100% more controllable and even then it's not super easy. But you have to keep in mind also that the gun wasn't designed for full auto. The G18 has ports to keep the muzzle down and such so it's a little better. If I can get the dang guns paid down I'll buy some more and one of the ones on my list is an actual G18 (and probably the auto Beretta :) ). But I'll need huge turnouts at my next several shoots to pay the last $40k off!

TRoebs00
10-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Ted Nugent does.

He constantly brags about the automatic MP5 he keeps in his truck.

FYI: Nugent is a sworn LEO

Deputy Sheriff and Texas Constable

willowofwisp
10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Chewy how expensive is a real g18?

mini4m3
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Chewy how expensive is a real g18?

I forgot how much Tom paid for his auto sear, but from factory G18 go from around 850-1200$ on average. I think the sear kits are running like 250-400$

chewy
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I paid like $225 I think for my sear.

Ricebrnr
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Holy cow, I can't bring myself to pay more than $600 for a carry pistol as it stands for fear of it's confiscation and destruction during the investigation process of a self defense shooting.

Must be nice to have all that discretionary cash to play with.

mini4m3
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Holy cow, I can't bring myself to pay more than $600 for a carry pistol as it stands for fear of it's confiscation and destruction during the investigation process of a self defense shooting.

Must be nice to have all that discretionary cash to play with.

Silencers are good like that

hashelocmaccabee
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I was told by a LEO, if you possess a CHL/CPL/CWP...Ect from your state of residence, you can pay $25 for a permit to carry a short barreled shotgun or AOW shotgun concealed. I imagine there are other options, but never cared to look into them until I moved out of Texas. There, you can carry your rifle or shotgun loaded in plain view.

I don't understand why MI has different definitions for firearms than the Federal government. I don't see the logic or the need.

hashelocmaccabee
10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
FYI: Nugent is a sworn LEO

Deputy Sheriff and Texas Constable

Why would be be a Deputy Sheriff and Constable? Is he a reserve officer for two departments? What counties? Are they both Texas departments?

The State Of Texas requires that a Texas Peace Officer (any LEO in Texas) be licensed by the state, registered with a department, and perform a minimum requirement of hours per month to keep their TCLOSE license valid.

zigziggityzoo
10-23-2010, 10:24 PM
I was told by a LEO, if you possess a CHL/CPL/CWP...Ect from your state of residence, you can pay $25 for a permit to carry a short barreled shotgun or AOW shotgun concealed. I imagine there are other options, but never cared to look into them until I moved out of Texas. There, you can carry your rifle or shotgun loaded in plain view.

I don't understand why MI has different definitions for firearms than the Federal government. I don't see the logic or the need.

I've never heard of such a thing.

In Michigan, you may legally carry any legal firearm under 30" in length concealed with a CPL.

Leader
10-26-2010, 11:59 AM

And there you have it.... The reason the streets are littered with corpses.
That explains the mass killings, all the dead police officers, & the fact that you have NO game to hunt in TX.

hashelocmaccabee
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
And there you have it.... The reason the streets are littered with corpses.
That explains the mass killings, all the dead police officers, & the fact that you have NO game to hunt in TX.

according to DisasterCenter.com, Michigan has a 6.3 murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants in 2008, while Texas has a 5.4 per 100,000.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/micrime.htm
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm

Taking this information further, I have concluded that Michigan has 1 murder for every 154 sq miles. Texas has 1 murder for every 200 miles. "Littered"? there is a higher dead body density for Michigan than Texas. Besides, Texas deals with two variables more than Michigan. Illegal emigrants and drug trafficking from Mexico.

As for game to hunt... Alligator, Chachalaca, Common Snipe, Dove, Duck, Eastern Turkey, Goose, King and Clapper Rails, Javelina, Lesser Prairie Chicken, Pheasant, Moorhens (Common Gallinules) & Purple Gallinules, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Quail, Rabbits and Hares, Sandhill Crane, Sora and Virginia Rails, Rio Grande Turkey, Squirrel, Teal, White-Tailed Deer, Woodcock (this list doesn't include varmint/predators)

Combination permits allow you to take up to 5 whitetail deer, 2 mule deer, 4 East Tx Turkey, 4 Rio Grand Valley Turkey while counties and zones may have their own restrictions. MLS Control properties allow higher bag limits with special restirctions. No State bag limits for Javelina or feral hogs.

Your Claims have no substance.

SpaceOddity
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
It was sarcastic, like everything Leader says.

Leader
10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
according to DisasterCenter.com, Michigan has a 6.3 murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants in 2008, while Texas has a 5.4 per 100,000.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/micrime.htm
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm

Taking this information further, I have concluded that Michigan has 1 murder for every 154 sq miles. Texas has 1 murder for every 200 miles. "Littered"? there is a higher dead body density for Michigan than Texas. Besides, Texas deals with two variables more than Michigan. Illegal emigrants and drug trafficking from Mexico.

As for game to hunt... Alligator, Chachalaca, Common Snipe, Dove, Duck, Eastern Turkey, Goose, King and Clapper Rails, Javelina, Lesser Prairie Chicken, Pheasant, Moorhens (Common Gallinules) & Purple Gallinules, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Quail, Rabbits and Hares, Sandhill Crane, Sora and Virginia Rails, Rio Grande Turkey, Squirrel, Teal, White-Tailed Deer, Woodcock (this list doesn't include varmint/predators)

Combination permits allow you to take up to 5 whitetail deer, 2 mule deer, 4 East Tx Turkey, 4 Rio Grand Valley Turkey while counties and zones may have their own restrictions. MLS Control properties allow higher bag limits with special restirctions. No State bag limits for Javelina or feral hogs.

Your Claims have no substance.

How can that be? You allow loaded guns in vehicles & don't even tell the cops about them.

Who?

Me?

Sarcastic?????

Well.... maybe a little.