PDA

View Full Version : 11pt down.

SuperSeal110
10-08-2010, 12:22 AM
This season has been very good so far. I've manage to hunt everyday since Oct 1st. Today was the 1st day I haven't hunt.

I've seen a handful of shooter bucks. This one came in last night. I made an absolutely pi$$ poor shot on him at 30yds. Found no blood anywhere. He went through the corn after he was hit.

G/f and I searched for almost 2hrs, till we kicked this deer up by the creek. He sounded like he crossed the creek and went back down after 50yds. I hurried up and checked out where he was bedded. This is the 1st blood we seen... Decent color blood, but also had watery blood. Blood didn't smell, so I'm thinking it was a liver shot? We hurried up and backed off. We didn't want to push this deer any further.

I was sick to my stomach about making such a horrible shot on this deer. I wanted to call into work, but since I did that last Friday (Oct 1st) it wasn't an opinion. Got out of work at 3pm and had another buddy ready to help me search. We went to the last sign of blood from yesterday. We immediately find my arrow in the mucky creek. I ended up finding this deer about 60yds in the woods.

Here's some picture of my success.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m39/SuperSeal110/Hunting%202010/DSC_1189.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m39/SuperSeal110/Hunting%202010/DSC_1191.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m39/SuperSeal110/Hunting%202010/DSC_1192.jpg

Armed citizen
10-08-2010, 12:26 AM
That's a nice one, congrats.

Imshootin
10-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Nice rack.

pgaplayerless
10-08-2010, 06:04 AM
nice buck! But with the temps being what they were, do you think all the meat is wasted? It sure would seem like it to me.

enigmatical
10-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Nice buck, that should score.

So, what was the path of the arrow?

OpenSights
10-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Very nice! Congrats!

State land or private?

Webb
10-08-2010, 07:28 AM
nice!:bowdown:
Jelous every day?
Were did you hit? What broadhead?

enigmatical
10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Were did you hit? What broadhead?

Even with the limited info provided, liver hit seems improbable.

jackle1886
10-08-2010, 09:41 AM
It happens to us as hunters. Even with firearms it can happen. But that doesn't make it any easier, and the fact that you were so upset about it proves you are an ethical hunter. I thank you for that and promoting our sport.

Nice buck! I'm interested in what he weighs as well. Nice mass on that rack!! Hopefully he'll still be quite tasty, enjoy some fresh filet minon!

SuperSeal110
10-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I would say 75% of hunters would of lost this deer, imo. This way by far the worst shot I've taken with a bow or gun. I hit far back on the last rib, towards the liver. I had absolutely no blood anywhere, except when I bumped him off his death bed that night. Pretty crazy when you don't see a drop of blood in the standing corn anywhere! I've never lost a deer and didn't want to start with this buck...

This guy was in the woods from 10pm on Oct 6th and I recovered this deer on Oct 7th around 4-4:30pm.

When I located this deer, he was covered in flies and ants! He was already blooded and stunk to high heavens!!!:bs: I'm surprised the turkey vultures didn't find him! I know for sure the next day the would of.

With this high temperatures 73*, I wasn't going to chance it. This makes me sick to my stomach as all the meat was going to waste, but having a buck sit in the sun from 8am-almost 5pm doesn't sound so appetizing. By the time I got home, it was pushing 7pm. IF I had a chance to find this deer in the AM, no doubt, he would of been good.

I had half my face covered in Vick's vapor rub and I still almost puked when I was capping it out. :toss:

SuperSeal110
10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I was running Rage, 2 blade, 100gr. When I capped this deer out, the Rage did INSANE amount of damage on the chest cavity. The whole left side of the bucks chest cavity was nothing but red blood clots. Looked like this deer got hit by a truck doing 60mph...

Private property. G/f's parents farm. We manage and don't shoot the dinks. We shoot bucks at their ears or past. For meat, we shoot quite the few does during late doe season. I've been dating my g/f for 4yrs, and the hunting just keeps getting better and better.

I've honestly have seen 5 different shooter bucks. I messed up and blew an opportunity on Monday on a beautiful 9pt. A deer down wind scented me and the 9pt was 28 yards away... I didn't have the proper angle for a shoot.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m39/SuperSeal110/Hunting%202010/DSC_1194.jpg

Jonnysea
10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Congats! I guess? Sorry no offense, but, I am happy for you that you had the opportunity to take such a nice animal. But, what a waste. I understand that the best choice was to wait. I would have done the same. However, I would have checked the weather and realized that I needed to get out first thing in the morning (Even if it was 2 or 3am before work) to try to recover this deer. Its a shame that the only salvaged thing was the antlers. Was the cape even usable for a mount? I personally would not be posting pics in multiple threads looking for praise. Just my opinion.

Signess
10-09-2010, 04:07 AM
Yep, no offense. But this is why I don't bow hunt. No knock on anyone that does by any means. To each his own.

Nice deer though!

mikethepike
10-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Too hot to hunt with skeeters buzzing in my ear. Looked like a big bodied deer.

Btw does your girlfriend have a sister???

SuperSeal110
10-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Congats! I guess? Sorry no offense, but, I am happy for you that you had the opportunity to take such a nice animal. But, what a waste. I understand that the best choice was to wait. I would have done the same. However, I would have checked the weather and realized that I needed to get out first thing in the morning (Even if it was 2 or 3am before work) to try to recover this deer. Its a shame that the only salvaged thing was the antlers. Was the cape even usable for a mount? I personally would not be posting pics in multiple threads looking for praise. Just my opinion.

I agree, it was a waste. Don't you think I'm not sick to my stomach about the whole situation?:banghead: All night and all day I beat myself up about the situation.

What makes you think the deer would of been dead at 2 or 3am? Just what I want, take a chance to push this deer even further without any blood. Yea, good idea! I bet my g/f neighbors would love to see us comb their woods at 2-4am.

85% of people would of lost this deer. There was no blood from where I shot this deer, nor ANY blood in the damn corn ANYWHERE! Most people would of stopped searching then, but I didn't!

This deer was 225yds-250yds away from where I hit him when I recovered it. No blood trail and you're giving me chit? I put 110% effort into finding this deer and I found him! :hot:

Yes, the cape was fine, according to my taxidermist. Nothing was slipping when I took it over to him that night.

Signess This could of happen during gun season, too... Will that make you stop gun hunting, too?

As to everyone else, Thank you for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

SuperSeal110
10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
MTP, lol, yes, she does have a sister, but she's happily married. :wink:

jackle1886
10-11-2010, 11:59 AM
It happens when you hunt. Bow hunting takes more practice than gun hunting. Some people do it, some don't. Even those of us who practice a lot can still blow a shot. I've double lunged a deer and not seen blood for quite a while. I've also dropped them in their tracks with a bow. Just depends. Kudos to the OP for tracking the deer down and giving everything he had to find the animal.

enigmatical
10-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree, it was a waste. Don't you think I'm not sick to my stomach about the whole situation?:banghead: All night and all day I beat myself up about the situation.

What makes you think the deer would of been dead at 2 or 3am? Just what I want, take a chance to push this deer even further without any blood. Yea, good idea! I bet my g/f neighbors would love to see us comb their woods at 2-4am.

85% of people would of lost this deer. There was no blood from where I shot this deer, nor ANY blood in the damn corn ANYWHERE! Most people would of stopped searching then, but I didn't!

This deer was 225yds-250yds away from where I hit him when I recovered it. No blood trail and you're giving me chit? I put 110% effort into finding this deer and I found him! :hot:

Yes, the cape was fine, according to my taxidermist. Nothing was slipping when I took it over to him that night.

Signess This could of happen during gun season, too... Will that make you stop gun hunting, too?

Don't pay any attention to the naysayers. You were smart to wait until daylight and have help in the attempts to track. Sometimes, that doesn't even work and one must resort to circling and hoping. Maybe your nose helped you find the buck, maybe it was just luck.

People can talk all they want but, sometimes things like this happen, even to a very responsible hunter. I lost a buck one year because it dropped right behind a combine (no blood) and I didn't think to look there. The combine moved and there laid my buck but, it wasn't usable either.

I hate hunting in the heat but, around here, if it isn't one thing, it is another. It is not unusual for coyotes to find deer shot at dusk before the hunter. Things happen. Bottom line is, you were SMART to wait until daylight to look for sign. Sure, morning would have been better but, now you have come to know the feeling and you know that it isn't a good one.

Signess
10-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Perhaps, but the chances are far less likely. As I said, to each his own. And I stand by that comment.

But isn't the intent on bow hunting, the sport of it? Don't most bow hunters hunt for the sport of it? I mean, one uses a bow, because it's more challenging do they not? I don't know, nor am I being confrontational with you. But I've heard more bow hunters cite "the challenge of it", than I can count on both hands. Not being a bow hunter, taking that challenge brings on another responsibility to the hunter imo.

Look, I'm not against it, it just isn't my gig. In part for reasons that you experienced. Nothing more, nothing less. And I'm not saying all applies to you either. Just stating my opinion on the situation as a whole. But something about whacking a deer to simply get a bust mount kinda bugs me. Gun, Bow, or otherwise. And I KNOW that was not your intent.

enigmatical
10-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Perhaps, but the chances are far less likely. As I said, to each his own. And I stand by that comment.

Say what?

Please provide some sort of evidence to support your assertion.

I mean, how many projectiles are sent towards deer in the firearms season vs how many are sent by archers. Those numbers alone would seem to indicate that there is a much greater chance of deer being wounded by bullets than broadheads.

And, I know many a hunter who shoots once or empties a gun at a deer and if it doesn't go down or doesn't leave a good blood trail, the search is over.

Granted, many deer succumb to wounds from either bullets or broadheads but then again, many live to only die at the hands of another hunter the next year.

But, to say that the chances of firearms poking holes in deer that are not recovered in a timely fashion are LESS than from arrows, I say---DEER POOP.

Go ahead and prove us wrong!!!! And you may want to spend some time at a few deer processing places doing your research.

Signess
10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Say what?

As for statistical numbers, I don't have any. And my comment was based on opinion.

But lets put it this way homie! If I were shooting that deer with a 12 gauge slugger, I just might be having me some backstrap tonight. Just sayin...

What's your take on the rest of my comment? Just for shat's n giggles.

Quack Addict
10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
This season has been very good so far.
I'd consider your story a horrible start to the season.

But something about whacking a deer to simply get a bust mount kinda bugs me. Gun, Bow, or otherwise. And I KNOW that was not your intent.

I have to agree with Signess here. If this was a doe that was shot and recovered late the next day, the OP wouldn't have bothered to post.

I love hunt deer with bow and gun. Both have their +'s and -'s. I have taken about an equal number with each (of 28 total deer I've taken), have not recovered 1 with a 165gr BT to the chest (?) out of a 30-06 @ 70 yards and a picture-perfect double-lunger (?) with a bow. Both will haunt me till the day I join them. Lessons learned with each and every one, and I don't just mean the ones that got away. Live, learn, don't forget.

Relative to the OP's comments, 75% of people may not have taken the shot; 85% may not have missed. Maybe my numbers are off; maybe yours are too. Finding the animal is great but there would always be an asterisk associated with that mount if it was hanging on my wall.

Jonnysea
10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I have to agree with Signess here. If this was a doe that was shot and recovered late the next day, the OP wouldn't have bothered to post.

I love hunt deer with bow and gun. Both have their +'s and -'s. I have taken about an equal number with each (of 28 total deer I've taken), have not recovered 1 with a 165gr BT to the chest (?) out of a 30-06 @ 70 yards and a picture-perfect double-lunger (?) with a bow. Both will haunt me till the day I join them. Lessons learned with each and every one, and I don't just mean the ones that got away. Live, learn, don't forget.

Relative to the OP's comments, 75% of people may not have taken the shot; 85% may not have missed. Maybe my numbers are off; maybe yours are too. Finding the animal is great but there would always be an asterisk associated with that mount if it was hanging on my wall.

:yeahthat:

Jonnysea
10-11-2010, 09:46 PM

If I was that sick about it I definitely would not want to stare at the mount on my wall everyday to be reminded. Just my :twocents:

enigmatical
10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
As for statistical numbers, I don't have any. And my comment was based on opinion.

But lets put it this way homie! If I were shooting that deer with a 12 gauge slugger, I just might be having me some backstrap tonight. Just sayin...

What's your take on the rest of my comment? Just for shat's n giggles.

Which part?

mikethepike
10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
MTP, lol, yes, she does have a sister, but she's happily married. :wink:

Maybe she needs a pool guy or something. I just want to hunt on some sweet land as well. Perhaps we can trade for an ice fishing perch trip or early spring walleye bonanza. Just something to think about??:D

SuperSeal110
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Say what?

I mean, how many projectiles are sent towards deer in the firearms season vs how many are sent by archers. Those numbers alone would seem to indicate that there is a much greater chance of deer being wounded by bullets than broadheads.

And, I know many a hunter who shoots once or empties a gun at a deer and if it doesn't go down or doesn't leave a good blood trail, the search is over.

Granted, many deer succumb to wounds from either bullets or broadheads but then again, many live to only die at the hands of another hunter the next year.

But, to say that the chances of firearms poking holes in deer that are not recovered in a timely fashion are LESS than from arrows, I say---DEER POOP.

Go ahead and prove us wrong!!!! And you may want to spend some time at a few deer processing places doing your research.

I couldn't agree anymore. :thup:

SuperSeal110
10-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd consider your story a horrible start to the season.

Awesome, thank you for your opinion.

SuperSeal110
10-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Don't pay any attention to the naysayers. You were smart to wait until daylight and have help in the attempts to track. Sometimes, that doesn't even work and one must resort to circling and hoping. Maybe your nose helped you find the buck, maybe it was just luck.

People can talk all they want but, sometimes things like this happen, even to a very responsible hunter. I lost a buck one year because it dropped right behind a combine (no blood) and I didn't think to look there. The combine moved and there laid my buck but, it wasn't usable either.

I hate hunting in the heat but, around here, if it isn't one thing, it is another. It is not unusual for coyotes to find deer shot at dusk before the hunter. Things happen. Bottom line is, you were SMART to wait until daylight to look for sign. Sure, morning would have been better but, now you have come to know the feeling and you know that it isn't a good one.

I'm not and thank you.

Signess
10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not and thank you.

He's banned man.

SuperSeal110
10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
He's banned man.

Banned for?

hopeitsfast
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned for?
Agreeing with you. I've been told whoever agrees with you on this issue is going to be banned. :shock:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd193/hopeitsfast/posters/sarcasm.gif

SuperSeal110
10-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Agreeing with you. I've been told whoever agrees with you on this issue is going to be banned. :shock:

I wouldn't doubt it, grin. :coocoo:

tote'ngranny
10-13-2010, 04:58 PM

I just saw this thread... LOL you and Signess are sooo BAAAaaaddd :wink:

SuperSeal110 ... Congrats on the buck. Yes, it's too bad that the meat spoiled ... enjoy the trophy anyways. Why let that go to waste too? Stop beating yourself up.

autosurgeon
10-13-2010, 10:33 PM
My dad and I had one that we tracked for 2 days and lost similar weather... we found it 4 miles away in a river bottom later that winter... not much left but the antlers. Searching in the dark is a joke and even blood lights really don't help when the deer is bleeding internally.

You did the right thing... as getting hurt stumbling around in the woods in the dark is quite easy!

KayL
10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m39/SuperSeal110/Hunting%202010/DSC_1191.jpg

What do you use the Big Feet ducks for.... bait??? :wink:

Skinner 2
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Very nice buck and congrats on finding him.

Skinner

SuperSeal110
10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
What do you use the Big Feet ducks for.... bait??? :wink:

Confidence decoys, grin.