PDA

View Full Version : restrictions in shotgun zone?

papabear
12-17-2004, 12:09 PM
I have heard rumors of the state banning black powder in the shotgun zone. Any truth to this? Thanks in advance

RSF
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
No i hear this every year! until it happens i wouldnt worry! if that was the case then they would ban all hunting in our zone and the state would losse to much money

karcent
12-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind a ban on inlines, and that is something that might happen.

t/c mark
12-18-2004, 12:53 AM
I am going to have to disagree with you, Karcent. A muzzle loader is still a muzzle loader. The only advantage my inline has over my flintlocks is water resistance. OK, there is the reliabilty of ignition, but two of my flints work so well it is not an issue. Both actions have the limit of slow reloads. Watching guys at the range with 150 grains of pyrodex in a scoped inline, shows this to true. Most of the shooters have trouble even geting on the paper, and thier groups are poor. Many of the inline shooters do not shoot them enough to realize any of the advantages of having a scope. In my inline(T/C Encore) has never seen over 90 grains of FFg. My flint shoots 70 grains of FFg. Deer, when hit, can't tell the difference. I think manufacturers claims are going cause states to ban the inlines during muzzleloader season. Even though I do not shoot any "evil assualt weapons" I am not calling for them to be banned. The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, chartered as a historical organization, supports the inlines as way to get more people into the sport. Please do not start the "these guns are not OK" here. We should be educating shooters to better understand the limitations of their firearms, not limit the firearms they can use.

Mr. 16 gauge
12-18-2004, 01:27 AM
A muzzle loader is still a muzzle loader. The only advantage my inline has over my flintlocks is water resistance. OK, there is the reliabilty of ignition, but two of my flints work so well it is not an issue.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Any time you have a muzzleloader that shoots 5 pyrodex pellets and light pistol bullets, plus has the capability to shoot smokeless, then they are not "the same". The range of inlines goes way beyond what the traditional caplock or flintlock is capable of.

In my inline(T/C Encore) has never seen over 90 grains of FFg.

Yours may not have, but I know plenty of others who have........

I think manufacturers claims are going cause states to ban the inlines during muzzleloader season.

I don't know if that is necessarily true, but I do believe that there advertising claims cause alot of folks to stretch thier range to unbelievable levels. It's not just inlines, either.....I have seen way too many waterfowl crippled because guys were shooting hevishot......at birds that were out of rifle range, let alone shotgun range! :( I saw the same thing happen when 3.5" shells first came out as well.

I don't think there will ever be a ban on inlines; they are much too popular and I think the DNR has there hands full with other things at the moment. And I really don't want to see a ban on inlines; I would, however, like to see a truly "primative" season here in Michigan where only cap or flintlocks would be allowed, loaded with loose powder and patched round ball or conical, even if was only for a three day weekend. Doubt if I will ever see it in my life time, though. :(

RSF
12-18-2004, 01:33 AM
not this again didnt we just hash this out on mon's sight! lol

Mr. 16 gauge
12-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Yah, I suppose we did......nothing like beating a dead horse. :wink: :lol:

RSF
12-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Welcome, enjoy the sight! :P

karcent
12-18-2004, 03:11 PM
You're right t/c mark, I should not be suggesting any type of ban.
I cannot agree with your statement that all muzzleloaders are equal. They are not.
I got into muzzleloading in the mid 70s when a patched roundball fired thru a sidelock was the order of the day. The TC Maxi-Ball was about as radical as it got.
The newest offerings on the market extend the killing range of the muzzleloader far beyond the guns of 20-30 years ago.

t/c mark
12-19-2004, 10:28 AM
The savage muzzleloader that shoots smokeless powder is, in theory, illegal in Michigan. The gun has to shoot blackpowder "or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute." IMR 4227 is neither. As for making a primative only season, that is a good idea.
I hunt in the shotgun zone, on public land, within an hours drive of Detroit, and I would rather hunt near people with hot loaded inlines, than some of these idiots with 5 shot semi-autos.
Here in Michigan, the public ranges only go to 100 yards, how can people find out what their gun does beyond that? I do agree with you that these new products cause people to over think their abilities. A lot of this is marketing, and the hunting/gun magazines. I have not seen any magazine articles that say "product b surves no purpose that product a cannnot already fulfil." These magazines are not written to inform, they are written to sell products. Aldo Leopold was complaining about this before his death in the 1940's. He was also comenting on duck hunters shooting out of range birds long before the days of non-toxic shot. lAt least on a message board people can hash it out, not like a magazine where an editor has much sway about what is seen by readers.
We have placed to much premium on getting the game, not setting personal limitations and pursueing game.

Kouger
12-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Ok. I must ask. what are you guys talking about

what is the differance between a muzzleloader and an inline?

I have never shot either. to be honest. I seen a muzzle loader the other day. maybe my 3rd time ever

jr-vass
12-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Ok. I must ask. what are you guys talking about

what is the differance between a muzzleloader and an inline?

I have never shot either. to be honest. I seen a muzzle loader the other day. maybe my 3rd time ever

They are the basically the same thing, except to the purists. This link will show a Hawken in Cap & Flint lock versions:

http://www.tcarms.com/mlrifles/hawken/index.php

An inline M/L has the primer (cap) directly behind the powder charge:

http://www.tcarms.com/mlrifles/blkdiamond/index.php

Originally, muzzleloading hunting season were flintlock because the caplocks either didn't exist or were limited in availability. As more people wanted to extend their hunting seasons, caplocks became more widely available, and inlines were developed in the past 10 yrs. (+/-).

These developments angered the purists. If someone hunts bunnies with a muzzleloading shotgun in February... they might be a purist! :wink:

I hope this helped.

James