PDA

View Full Version : Son's first deer, a buck too!

Skinner 2
10-12-2010, 04:13 AM
My wife dropped our 12 year old son off at deer camp Saturday late noon. Russell went to a 4-H fair with his Mother, Aunt and cousin. They got to camp a little late but I was not too worried about it due to the high temperature. The thermometer was hitting 76 degrees outside.

Once my son was unpacked I had him ready for the hunt. I had him read Jeff Kunkles article about crossbows and kids in my fathers Woods and Waters magazine. I myself just read it Friday night after arriving in camp myself. I thought it was very good and figured it could be a good incentive for Russell. I saw some similarities in how Jeff worked with his kids and how my father worked with me. Now I was using these same techniques for my son. We didn’t have a toy deer to talk about shot placement but we had that issue of Woods and Waters. We flipped through the book and every picture of deer and elk I used for Russell to point out where he should aim. My father used pictures for me too 35 years ago.

After a shower we headed off to the pop-up blind. This was the location Russell chose to hunt. We had hunted there for the youth hunt. We saw a couple deer but a shot was not offered one deer was a small buck. I preferred the two man ladder stand myself. We learned a few things during the youth hunt. The folding chair was noisy for Russell to move in and with it he sat low. He was unable to sit and shoot my TenPoint Defender out the window of the blind at a downward angle. Today for him I carried in a plastic patio chair.

We set up the new chair and got him settled in for the evening hunt. He adjusted his shooting sticks to rest my heavy crossbow on. I didn’t like how he set them up and I didn’t say too much about it, but it bothered me. A groundhog feed into the small food plot we worked on this spring. I grabbed the crossbow and aimed at it. I wanted to see how the set-up was working. I didn’t like it at all. I looked at how Russell was sitting and determined he sat as high as I did now and should not have to stand to shoot like the youth hunt set-up and the current set up. I told Russell why I didn’t like it and he agreed to change it. After around 6 or 7 modification to the shooting stick heights and chair placement it came together. Russell could now sit, rest the bow and shoot out the window at the downward angle required. I felt better about this and as I sat down myself I looked out the window down a trail leading to the small food plot we worked on. There stood a buck no more the 30 yards away. His head down feeding and unaware we were there or what we just went through.

Russell was just starting to take the bow down. I told him to leave the bow up and get ready as there was a buck coming in and he was already close. This is what Russell was wanting. He decided that for the youth hunt. He said he wanted antlers for his wall. He preferred big ones and with many point. I agreed and said don’t we all.

Russell was sitting and watching the deer through the corner window as was I. I have Russell shooting left handed because of a left eye dominance issue. This placed his shoulder and elbow into my chest.

The buck was now only 20 yards away and quartering to us. I was hoping the buck would keep coming into the funnel in front of us. The buck however started to take the trail out to his left. The same as a doe had done during the youth hunt. However at the last minute the buck turned 90 degrees and continued to use. Now 15 yards away the buck was in the shooting window but still quartering to us. Russell had quietly taken the safety off the crossbow reading for his shot. I guess I was surprised he remembered how to maneuver it so it didn’t make noise but he did. I could hear how much Russell’s breathing increased. It was fast and heavy. Myself I think I forgot to breath.

I whispered to Russell to tuck it behind the leg once the deer was straight out. He nodded and the breathing increased and so did the wobbling of the bow. I finally took a breath myself and whispered to him to breathe and stay calm. The deer now was very close. The buck hit the edge of the food plot only yards in front of us. He stated to just walk past instead of feeding. Without thinking I used my voice to bleat the buck to a stop. It worked. The buck was broadside maybe ten yards away. As the buck looked around I whispered to Russell OK. Man the excitement in the blind at this point. I could see and feel Russell and well I thing I was holding my breath for the third time. It seemed like a hour passed and the bow still didn’t fire. I was getting nervous. The buck decided to start walking. Again without thinking I used my voice bleating it to a stop a second time. Still broadside and still maybe ten yards away stood a motionless buck. I whispered for Russell to shoot.

It seemed like two hours passed as I waited for the shot I think my dad excitement spring was wound too tight. MY mind was screaming OMG, SHOOT, SHOOT, NOW OMG ……..I took my eyes off the deer and glanced at Russell, as I did the bow fired.

I looked back at the buck to see the Lumenok disappear into the deer with a resounding Thump. The buck mule kicked and was gone. I marked where I last saw him heading down the valley. Russell was very excited at this time and wanted to call mom. I suggested he wait until we recovered his buck and he agreed.

I took the two-way out of my pocket and called for my dad. I asked if his radio was on. A reply yes, why came back. I handed Russell the radio which he keyed and screamed into it that he just shot a buck. Russell told his grandpa what just happened. My dad asked if he should come over. I suggest for him to sit tight just in case as the deer left in his direction. Russell stated he didn’t realize deer hunting could be so exciting and we talked about what just happened.

Three hours passed OK maybe twenty minutes and we went out to look at the arrow. It was painted red and a good bloodtrail led down the valley. We told my dad this and were heading his way. The buck covered a fair distance but the trail was east to follow. I let Russell lead most of way but I had to slow him a few times to keep him from over walking the signs. Both covered in sweat from the heat we trailed the deer. Russell commented the deer could be far now because of the sign we were seeing. I told him I agreed that the deer was close. Russell trailed for another couple feet the stood up and looked around. He saw the bucks side off to our right. He pointed and asked if that was his deer I told him it was.

We walked over to the deer and I congratulated Russell on his first deer. Russell called to his grandpa with the radio telling him we found it. My dad was now on his way to us. Russell now used my cell phone to call home. I could hear mom on the phone too. When done Russell called his other grandparents and told them he had gotten a deer. My dad now with us congratulated Russell.

The three of us, three generations of hunters returned to camp with the deer. I don’t know who the deer meant more too. Russell for his first deer, Grandpa sharing a first deer with a second grandson, a dad with his son….

Overall this moment meant a lot to me. Perhaps it’s because it was close to not happening. My dad now 83 was being forced to give up bow hunting. To continue bow hunting at 80 he filed Age Discrimination against the State to be allowed the use of a crossbow. This he won. I realized then how a crossbow affects my family and how it could help others. Russell spent this summer in a JOAD league. Being left eye dominate and right handed he did ok. His compound at 28 pounds however is a tad light to hunt deer. Without the use of a crossbow my dad would not have been there nor would my son. I’m not even sure I would have been there in this heat myself.

Here is a picture of Russell and his deer. The smile tells the story.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/skinner2/DSC00323.jpg

To Mrs Humphries and her staff, to the NRC and everybody else who helped get crossbows legalized I thank you!

Sincerely
Proud happy, Skinner

Signess
10-12-2010, 04:28 AM
That is awesome brother! Good on Russel! :wink:

fr3db3ar
10-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Way to tell it Skinner, I expect to see this story elsewhere :cheers:

pkuptruck
10-12-2010, 05:29 AM
the story.... the picture.... the situation.... and the outcome..

AWESOME!!!! :ukliam2:

mikeb32
10-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Good Job Russell....Next hunt, don't forget to take the "Nitro" Patches for Dad!!!! :)

fishpinoy27
10-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Congratulation!!....Awesome!!

bad86ta
10-12-2010, 06:44 AM
congrats... :thumbup:

What broadheads where you guys using?

enigmatical
10-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Here is a picture of Russell and his deer. The smile tells the story.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/skinner2/DSC00323.jpg

Hey Skinner: Buy the young hunter some camo why don't ya?

Jonnysea
10-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Congrats to the young man!

greggs
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
nice story and congrats!

alex
10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Awesome........young man:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Skinner 2
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys and a nitro patch may be in order.

bad86ta. were using 125 grain Grizz Tricks from Slick Trick. Four blades and 1.25 cutting diameter. The hit was perfect and well the broadhead did its job. No problem following the deer.

Skinner

Skinner 2
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey Skinner: Buy the young hunter some camo why don't ya?

He had it! It was just so hot as soon as we came in he changed. Well ok the pants were bluegeans.When I got the camera I told him to put the hunting clothes back on. He said itwas too hot. I decided well who am I to agrue and get him mad over a picture of his first deer. Shorts, tee and barefoot is fine with me LOL

Have to admit first deer I ever trailed wearing loafers too.

Skinner

Billetproof
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Nice, looks like a perfect shot!

jackle1886
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Let me say this was a great story. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as deer camp consisted of three generations for my family too. Myself, Dad, and Grandpa were all there to help drag my first buck in. Your son will cherish those moments for the rest of his life. They are especially important to me now as my Grandpa has since passed on.

Great job getting another kid interested in hunting!

JimSig
10-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Great Story.. Thanks for sharing.. You should be a proud father.. Good job both of you (father and son).. Now that's tradition and family bonding.

SuperSeal110
10-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Congrats!