PDA

View Full Version : Are indoor ranges dangerous or what?

whitehawk
10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
My bro wasn't too happy with me going to indoor ranges because he says I'm going to get shot. I was pretty uneasy at the CCW class, most of the people never shot a gun before, and it seems that way at the range I go to in Roseville.

RSF
10-12-2010, 11:48 AM
as apposed to getting shot at an outdoor range or walking down the street?

hopeitsfast
10-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't say they are dangerous. But, they can be if you have a group of dumbasses and no oversight. If you see people that are doing things in an unsafe manner, stay away from them, even if that means leaving and make sure you report it ASAP. Preferably as soon as the dumbasses start doing dumb things. That way they can be corrected(they might not even know they are being unsafe) and everyone stays safe.

One thing you will hear about a lot in the firearms community is situational awareness, that doesn't just mean on the street, you have to apply those thoughts everywhere including the ranges. Outdoor or indoor.

Sorry for long winded reply.

_DK_
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
My bro wasn't too happy with me going to indoor ranges because he says I'm going to get shot. I was pretty uneasy at the CCW class, most of the people never shot a gun before, and it seems that way at the range I go to in Roseville.

Any range is dangerous... Peters is small, the staff is generally cool. Just go tell them someones being unsafe, they will handle it.

I was there last Saturday and one guy on the far left was shooting something that was coming apart and hitting my wife and I 2 and 3 lanes over. I talked to him about it and he picked a different spot on the paper and things went into the traps like they where supposed to. Maybe he was clipping the wall or floor... I don't know.

XDM 40 cal
10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
as apposed to getting shot at an outdoor range or walking down the street?

+1...

If you see a person thats not following the rules then get the RSO...

DetroitStyle
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I've seen a lot of first timers or "gangster" shooters at Peters. I rarely go there. The staff is cool there and it's a shame, but they have a lot of trashy clients.

If I saw somebody being unsafe, I wouldn't just report it, I would leave. I've seen to many people who are just unsafe and the barrel follows wherever they happen to be looking or talking at the moment. It's not worth my life because somebody can't keep it aimed downrange.

whitehawk
10-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Yeah those guys at Peters are nice.

Prevention is good and reporting the idiots, but sometimes you may not have a chance. You're right, there are threats all around us, but bullets are flying in a gun range. My brother told me his friend was at an indoor range and the guy next to him must of accidentally shot the wall, the friend felt something on his face but didn't sweat it. Later he went to the emergency room to remove some kind of shrapnel from his face.

I just don't feel that I should be policing people and making sure they're keeping their damn fingers off the trigger :tsk: I guess I need to find a place where people know what gun safety is, or go outdoors alone 8)

_DK_
10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I've seen a lot of first timers or "gangster" shooters at Peters. I rarely go there. The staff is cool there and it's a shame, but they have a lot of trashy clients.

If I saw somebody being unsafe, I wouldn't just report it, I would leave. I've seen to many people who are just unsafe and the barrel follows wherever they happen to be looking or talking at the moment. It's not worth my life because somebody can't keep it aimed downrange.

I'm moving pretty much walking distance to Peters this weekend, I'm sure I'll be there more often... It sucks no other range in the area allows for controlled rapid fire.

I really want to sign up at Bluewater but I don't think I'll have the time to get out their often enough.

Joerockhead
10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
One thing you will hear about a lot in the firearms community is situational awareness, that doesn't just mean on the street, you have to apply those thoughts everywhere including the ranges. Outdoor or indoor.

Yeah That....

I was just at a outdoor range with my youngest son ,and this guy comes up with what was probably his kid and starts setting up his shooting area.
The whole time shooting ,he was more concerned with making sure everyone around saw his bag full of handguns, than he was shooting them.
His son ( 14-15 yrs old maybe) was shooting a Glock and I witnessed him
swapping mags into his firearm with his finger on the trigger (or in the guard)and the
gun pointing across range to us....mean while the old man was looking at his gun trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire with the safety on..:wtf:
( glocks + slammed in mag = ........)
Well I immediately moved my kid off the line.....Flammed :flamethr: the old man and got the RSO involved....

+ 1 for SITUATIONAL AWARENESS everywhere every second....

sprinklerguy28
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Just look at the bullet holes in the lane dividers, ceiling, target retriever, and every where else imaginable.

XDM 40 cal
10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Just look at the bullet holes in the lane dividers, ceiling, target retriever, and every where else imaginable.

Also the Dents/marks on the floor... This is why there should be more RSO and classes on properly handling a handgun, so on..
(side note)
IMO, i think everone should have some training with a firearm...

whitehawk
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Also the Dents/marks on the floor... This is why there should be more RSO and classes on properly handling a handgun, so on..
(side note)
IMO, i think everone should have some training with a firearm...

For sure! Its not even that difficult to help somebody learn how to operate a gun properly:
Rule #1 The gun is always loaded
Rule #2 If the gun is loaded (see Rule #1), ALWAYS point the barrel in a SAFE DIRECTION
Rule #3 ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger
NO EXCUSES EVER, yell at them!

You may have to help them understand what ALWAYS and SAFE direction means too. After they get these basic concepts, then teach them about stance, grip, etc...

_DK_
10-14-2010, 03:07 PM
For sure! Its not even that difficult to help somebody learn how to operate a gun properly:
Rule #1 The gun is always loaded
Rule #2 If the gun is loaded (see Rule #1), ALWAYS point the barrel in a SAFE DIRECTION
Rule #3 ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger
NO EXCUSES EVER, yell at them!

You may have to help them understand what ALWAYS and SAFE direction means too. After they get these basic concepts, then teach them about stance, grip, etc...

If you follow #3 as you wrote you could never fire your gun... just sayin :gavel:

Garretts_turbo
10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Any range you go to is as unsafe as the people there treat it.

The (outdoor) range I go to most often does not have a range officer, so whenever we're there we self-police anything we see.
Most often we see people walking downrange when the firing line is hot. We drop everything we're doing until that person gets back and communicate that that type of behavior is NOT ok...

justin92
10-18-2010, 01:41 PM
if they are unsafe around them let them know :tomato:

Groo
10-23-2010, 05:52 PM
The CPL class I attended had plenty of shooter oversite, and more than a couple of threats about failing the class and no refund if you were unsafe on the range. Made for a very safe class.

in general, I'm not to crazy about indoor ranges. too many potential idiots, and little cardboard walls so you can't see just how idiotic they are.

Geogh3
10-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Sometimes an unsafe person just needs a little instruction like everyone else. Screaming at them or be littleing them is not the way to instruct. Just because you know all the rules about safety doesnt mean everyone else does. When I see unsafe behavior I walk over to them and have a safety discussion with them. Then I stay fairly close to them to keep an eye on their new behavior and make sure they know I am paying attention. We all need instruction and we all need each others help. Screaming, ranting, raving, leaving isnt the answer. Be nice, be firm, make your point and keep all of us safe. Leaving just brings him back next week and dangering others.

At the indoor range your going to feel a bit of schrapnel coming back at you. Thats just the indoor range. Thus the reason we wear eye protection.

The walls and roof sometimes are the case of a person trying to be a better shooter that just made a mistake. Lets all try to help that person become better.

It reminds me of the guy that takes the car keys away from the child because she bumped the car into something and says... Your not driving again until you learn not to bump into things" ... now how am I going to learn if you take the keys away...

:bigun2: :bigun2: :bigun2:

The ScuRRRvy
12-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I had to inform the employees at Target Sports once about the guys holding their guns sideways... it was actually kind of funny when one of the guys came in and said something along the line of "guys you might actually be able to hit your target if you use the sights.

Buzzcat
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I caught some ricochet shrapnel in my chest/shoulder area once at a famous indoor range that looks like a basement... :wink:

The lanes were full and everyone was shooting pretty steadily.

It went right through my shirt and poked a little hole in the skin.

It was no biggie, I've had worse shaving cuts, although it was hotter than hell for a couple seconds. I shrugged it off and kept shooting after I realized it was just a nick. But it was a bit alarming at the moment, as you might guess.

Just remember... your ears are one thing, but your eyes are everything. Buy and use quality eye gear!

Will-IB-Ready
12-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I'll be honest, I don't really feel very comfortable at any gun range, indoor or out. Unless my group is the only one firing, I am always keeping an eye out.
I'm just used to shooting without a bunch of strangers around.

One of the benefits of country living I guess. :thumbup:

Ruger
12-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I'll be honest, I don't really feel very comfortable at any gun range, indoor or out. Unless my group is the only one firing, I am always keeping an eye out.

I concur! I'm on Red Alert at any range.

Detroit Tackleberry
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Something to add is remeber we were all Rookies once as far as common ignorance when it comes to the correct use and handling of a firearm.

Have had a few scary situations at indoor and out door ranges also.
Found informing RSO to be the best solution to the problem.

It's funny at one Indoor Range after reporting problems on more then one occasion. They started putting myself and others with me on the second range all by ourselves.....:bow:

mikee1973
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I got spoiled shooting outdoors and having a bay all to myself or to share with friends (read: people i trust). Shooting in a booth isn't as much fun but is unfortunately a necessary evil once the snow starts flying. My club has an indoor range and "combat" sessions on Thursday which i try to attend at least once a month and CQT is also 10 minutes away so it is all good.

Just need to stay aware when in public indoor ranges, not only for stupid people but to also watch your stuff. I rarely go with less than to guns with me. I also like going on off times so there are less people, I was at CQT last week and I had the whole range to myself :)

cl76
12-02-2010, 08:48 AM

+1 Places that rent guns to people and then don't have RSO's to monitor their activity = accident waiting to happen. I prefer shooting outdoors with people I know or at classes/competitions with vigilent RSO's.

headshok
12-02-2010, 02:35 PM
like most have said, if i hit up an occasional indoor range, i am on high alert for the inevitable dumbo that you'll run across.

my bigger beef with most indoor ranges is that they most often have pisspoor
ventilation. at least the ones i been to around here. once the lanes fill up, very few have adequate exhaust/exchange. i always would rather use the outdoor range i belong to, all year round. rather deal with the cold than excessive lead vapors.

scot623
12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Last I checked, Peters doesn't have RSO's....just guys who sit behind the counter bs'ing with their buddies. And their lanes show it, more bullet riddled than the set of 1980's Stallone movie.

Dave Edwards
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Last I checked, Peters doesn't have RSO's....just guys who sit behind the counter bs'ing with their buddies. And their lanes show it, more bullet riddled than the set of 1980's Stallone movie.

Yeah, but the holes are probably from the 1980s or even earlier. It's not like they repair the holes from the many thousands of shooters that frequent the place. The holes accumulate over the years. They may be from last week, or they may be from 20 years ago.

Webb
12-02-2010, 09:10 PM
When I did my CPL class they told me you shoot a a indoor range enough you will get hit by shrapnel!

goose13
12-02-2010, 11:06 PM
This is why I always head to the range during the slow times, I usually get there right at 11 am when they open their doors, and usually go on a weekday. You can run in to an inexperienced shooter at any kind of gun range indoor or outdoor.

Today I went to the indoor range to break in my new j frame revolver. It was a good time I was on the line by myself for a few because I got their right at opening time. Well after about 10 or 15 minutes a guy gets put at the lane next to me. It was apparent after about only 30 seconds or so of watching him get his lane ready that this was his first time shooting. He loaded a few mags, then getting ready to fire he had his thumb positioned right behind the slide. Not wanting to see him slice off his thumb, I quickly stopped him before he could get a round off and explained to him the proper grip. I also helped him out with a few other basic techniques. He fired off his rounds then thanked me for taking the time out of my shooting to help out a beginner. I will say though he had a great sense of safety, and great muzzle control for a first timer.

Usually when I see new shooters in a lane near me it is very distracting, as I find myself paying more attention to making sure they aren't putting myself or others in danger. This can sometimes take away from me being able to fully focus on what I was trying to practice at the range that day. I think before being able to shoot, new shooters should have to at least take a class on gun safety, maybe even take a beginner shooting course.

customizedcreationz
12-03-2010, 08:43 AM
I have witnessed unsafe things at every type of range you can imagine. Its the quality of RSO and the facility that really dictates how safe you will be. Bottom though is that you are the one that can only decide if its safe to shoot indoors or not.

Todd

Jerry
12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
When I did my CPL class they told me you shoot a a indoor range enough you will get hit by shrapnel!

What your CPL instructors should have told you is that if you shoot at ANY range there is a possibility fo getting hit by schrapel.

JR

_DK_
12-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Happens outdoors too... that and falling shot from the shotgun fields. !st time that happened to me I was like WTF.

Batman
12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
We shot bowling pins at BWSA and sometime (every now and again) a slug will bounce off the front of the table iron and smack you. .45 slugs really hurt even if you are 25 feet away.

AMSProcessing
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Screaming at a shooter who has poor handling skills is probably not the best way to go. I shoot almost exclusively at an indoor range, and occasionally find myself reminding another shooter about a safety rule (usually it's not handling a gun behind the line).

My rule of thumb is this: Handle the first time with a smile. It will likely be the only time I have to remind that shooter of the rules, and no one gets offended if you treat it with kindness. If they are stupid a second time, or get upset when I ask them politely to follow the rules for safety, I quickly pack up my gear, end my time shooting, and go let the guys out in the store know what was going on. I know all the guys (used to work there), and there's usually an RSO going inside the range as I'm checking out.

scoutmaster
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Found informing RSO to be the best solution to the problem

I agree, But I must be spoiled, I usually notice the RSO being very involved, sometimes too much with the line and catching things before any one can bring it to there attention.

All most sounds like several of the ranges that are talked about don't have any RSO at all. Some one setting at a counter out side the shooting aria is not good enough. There are far too many cowboys out there for that.

unless it was empty or as some have said every one there is from your group, and you know each other I don't think I would use a range with out an RSO

TAC
01-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I think any indoor/outdoor range that is open to the general public is very dangerous! There is no control over who uses them, and many are totally clueless about proper conduct and firearms safety.

CrimDoc
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
An interesting tidbit of information that may be relevant to this debate. Last time I was at my "home range" (Silver Bullet Firearms in Grand Rapids) I asked one of the employees whether the dividers between stalls on the firing line are bullet resistant.

He replied: "yes" ... they're designed to stop anything up a .30-06 rifle round.

I have to admit that this made be feel better ... if the noodle head in the next stall sends a round into the divider, it's not going to penetrate and kill me ...

24ever
01-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I caught some ricochet shrapnel in my chest/shoulder area once at a famous indoor range that looks like a basement... :wink:

The lanes were full and everyone was shooting pretty steadily.

It went right through my shirt and poked a little hole in the skin.

It was no biggie, I've had worse shaving cuts, although it was hotter than hell for a couple seconds. I shrugged it off and kept shooting after I realized it was just a nick. But it was a bit alarming at the moment, as you might guess.

Just remember... your ears are one thing, but your eyes are everything. Buy and use quality eye gear!

I too caught ricochet shrapnel in the chest, several times in one year. The largest and most painful indoor ricochet hit my right eye, traveled downward, and then lodged between the lower eyelid and eyeball. That flattened piece of hot lead dislodged my shooting glasses and hit the eye with a resounding snap, and then the burning started. Everything worked out fine once I removed the biggest chunk with tweezers and headed for the Eye Institute.

And yes, I was wearing bona fide shooting glasses when it happened.

lizardking8610
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I wouldnt worry, also most of the incidents I have heard of are about people renting handguns and then shooting themselves. While it's important to always remain vigilant I would not be overly concerned!

Nightstalker
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Never had an incident, wouldn't be worried.

fbuckner
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM

I've seen that at the firing line before and walked off the range and grabbed one of the owners. Usually some 20 something over compensating with a .357 or .44 to impress his girl.

costanza
01-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Sometimes an unsafe person just needs a little instruction like everyone else. Screaming at them or be littleing them is not the way to instruct. Just because you know all the rules about safety doesnt mean everyone else does. When I see unsafe behavior I walk over to them and have a safety discussion with them. Then I stay fairly close to them to keep an eye on their new behavior and make sure they know I am paying attention. We all need instruction and we all need each others help. Screaming, ranting, raving, leaving isnt the answer. Be nice, be firm, make your point and keep all of us safe. Leaving just brings him back next week and dangering others.

At the indoor range your going to feel a bit of schrapnel coming back at you. Thats just the indoor range. Thus the reason we wear eye protection. The walls and roof sometimes are the case of a person trying to be a better shooter that just made a mistake. Lets all try to help that person become better.

It reminds me of the guy that takes the car keys away from the child because she bumped the car into something and says... Your not driving again until you learn not to bump into things" ... now how am I going to learn if you take the keys away...

:bigun2: :bigun2: :bigun2:
Always remember to wear eye protection! Last week, I took a piece of what I think was part of a copper bullet jacket to the cheek. It left a nice half-inch long cut on my cheek, just under my eye. No horesplay or accidental discharges; just a stray bullet fragment from a ricochet.

slav1north
01-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I was shooting there today. The box of band-aids on the counter with the sign saying KEEP YOUR HAND AWAY FROM THE REAR OF SLIDE says it all. They do let you rapid fire, draw and fire from your holster, etc. Its the cheepest range around.

Jerry
01-30-2011, 08:21 AM
I was shooting there today. The box of band-aids on the counter with the sign saying KEEP YOUR HAND AWAY FROM THE REAR OF SLIDE says it all. They do let you rapid fire, draw and fire from your holster, etc. Its the cheepest range around.

Which range you talking about?

cre8ivgenius
01-31-2011, 12:41 AM
I have seen some crazy/scary incidents just due to ignorance and/or zero respect for a firearm. Flying brass going down a woman's low cut shirt, because her boyfriend would rather she looked sexy, as opposed to being safe. The brass flew, lodged in her chest, she screamed, gun flew in the air and landed halfway down the range... So not only was she startled and slightly burned, but everyone in the range was startled thinking someone was shot...not to mention the danger posed by the flying gun... Or the rocket scientist who gets a jam, and has no idea what to do, so, with his finger on the trigger, he tilts the muzzle back, points it toward his eyeball and begins examining the barrel! Being a woman, I am sure I am not making friends when I shout - "finger off the trigger" "muzzle down range" - "check your grip, you're gonna get bit"....but I don't want to get shot, and I don't want to see anyone else get shot - and my instinct takes over..... I am not for stringent gun control, but who in their right mind wouldn't want to take a mandatory lesson before stepping foot onto any range before they shoot?

Constitutional Rights and Ego driven personality disorders need to be tossed aside for the bigger picture - S-A-F-E-T-Y! I have observed and stepped-in numerous times when well-meaning husbands teaching their wives how to shoot without the proper grip for a semi-auto, if I notice he isn't watching her hands and she is going to get her skin snagged, I say something, normally it isn't an issue, but one loving husband noted, "that's how I learned, she'll do it once and never do it again" - REALLY? WoW!

Not everyone is unsafe, and the range(s) I frequent are probably the safest around town, but the best you can do is practice safe habits and when you notice someone isn't tuned in to the issue of safe gun handling, let the folks running the range know.......don't accept poor gun handling as ok, it isn't and you don't want to be on the receiving end of their ignorance!

pistoltraining
01-31-2011, 06:40 AM
The staff at Peter's need to be made aware of these issues. They sometimes get complacent. They are good guys, and they want keep it safe.

lil_freak_66
01-31-2011, 09:29 PM
id say no more dangerous than an outdoor range,probably less then an outdoor range.

I generally shoot in small groups with trusted friends on public or private land though so i havent been to a range in forever!

theammobroker
02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Agree that all ranges should be considered dangerous. My biggest issue with indoor is the ventilation, but all ranges need watchful eyes. I make it a habit to go to the range at "off" times when there aren't a lot of other people around. You have to be ultra vigilant at any range.

aaron
02-09-2011, 02:09 AM
I was at an indoor range on Saturday. I only rented for 1/2 hour, and I was almost ready to leave when a guy and girl came in the lane next to me. I could hear him instructing her on how to cock/hold/fire the pistol. I'm thinking to myself "I don't want to be this guy's guinnea pig" so I packed up in a hurry and left. Nothing against him or his woman, I just don't feel too safe next to someone who has no familiarity with what he/she is doing when handling a firearm.

XDM 40 cal
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I was at an indoor range on Saturday. I only rented for 1/2 hour, and I was almost ready to leave when a guy and girl came in the lane next to me. I could hear him instructing her on how to cock/hold/fire the pistol. I'm thinking to myself "I don't want to be this guy's guinnea pig" so I packed up in a hurry and left. Nothing against him or his woman, I just don't feel too safe next to someone who has no familiarity with what he/she is doing when handling a firearm.

Yes, I too had something like that happen to me...

On was on the lane with my buddy next to me, and he was leaving and and i was getting ready to leave too, after this guy comes onto the range and he went to back bench area and pulled his firearm out laid it on the bench not the range table... Proceeded to lube his firearm and when i saw that, I had to intervene as the range RSO was busy with a new shooter, and told him, It's in the range rule as you cant do this back her,if you need to do all that, it must be done on the range( your lane)..
I may not work there,but I'm a RSO and will butt in when i see crap like this.. Then told the RSO to watch him as it looks like he was try to teach his GF or impress her...:wtf:
As it turns out the Guy has not clue and was not showing her the right way.. So the RSO Thank me for helping out ...
I'm all about safety at any range..

Skerz
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I was at target sports in RO and there were a group of British guys who had no experience with guns at all. I was watching them and one of the guys had an unintentional discharge with a 12 ga.. He blew a hole in the celling tiles. Thats when I packed up and went home.

3rdcoach
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
All ranges are dangerous. You get idiots out there handling guns at both indoor and outdoor ranges that I wouldnt trust with a squirt gun.

TangoDown3727
03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I was at target sports in RO and there were a group of British guys who had no experience with guns at all. I was watching them and one of the guys had an unintentional discharge with a 12 ga.. He blew a hole in the celling tiles. Thats when I packed up and went home.

Not to mention their antiquated ventilation system, I quit going there because my lungs would hurt after shooting there for more than 5 minutes. I shudder to think of all the lead dust and other carcinogens I breathed there.
:ak2:

AleksanderSuave
03-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I was at target sports in RO....

thats your main mistake lol.

Jackam
03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
ooops

ranttrmike
04-04-2011, 07:06 AM
I'm new to this forum, but I really need to put in my .02, if I am out of line, sorry.

I keep seeing the words "so I packed up and left", or I "went and got the RSO".

ARE YOU NUTS?

Ok, let me explain.

I used to live in the Detroit area (Fraser), and I have been to many of the ranges you speak of. Back then there weren't as many incidents as there is now, but I suppose that means that more people are gun owners (a good thing).

Where I work now, a chemical plant, it is pounded into us daily that safety is OUR responsibility. All of you walking away when you see bad things going on is NOT the right thing to do.

How would you feel if you walked off the line with your gear, and the guy in the next booth (who was being completely safe) winds up with a 9mm to the head? Bet you'd have some regrets!

Intervene with those being unsafe. If the RSO is handy, signal them, go with them, and intervene. If not, intervene yourself. Just walk up, say loud and clear "make your weapon safe and lay it down please" and then tell them what they are doing "wrong" (nicely) and how to do it right. Watch them try it (unloaded), make corrections, practice some more, and then return to your station.

Come on folks, safety is OUR responsibility, not someone elses. I still remember the old man that came over to the young punk (me) and taught me the right way...I was mad, embarrassed, and humiliated at the time. Today, I wish I could shake his hand and thank him because I am still alive because he took the time for me.

Daniels
04-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Intervene with those being unsafe. If the RSO is handy, signal them, go with them, and intervene. If not, intervene yourself. Just walk up, say loud and clear "make your weapon safe and lay it down please" and then tell them what they are doing "wrong" (nicely) and how to do it right. Watch them try it (unloaded), make corrections, practice some more, and then return to your station.

Come on folks, safety is OUR responsibility, not someone elses. I still remember the old man that came over to the young punk (me) and taught me the right way...I was mad, embarrassed, and humiliated at the time. Today, I wish I could shake his hand and thank him because I am still alive because he took the time for me.

Some people just don't like others messing in their business so I totally disagree with trying to handle the situation yourself if the person is someone you don't know. Just go get an employee of the range. I'm sure they'd stop whatever they were doing to handle the situation.

XDM 40 cal
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm new to this forum, but I really need to put in my .02, if I am out of line, sorry.

I keep seeing the words "so I packed up and left", or I "went and got the RSO".

ARE YOU NUTS?

Ok, let me explain.

I used to live in the Detroit area (Fraser), and I have been to many of the ranges you speak of. Back then there weren't as many incidents as there is now, but I suppose that means that more people are gun owners (a good thing).

Where I work now, a chemical plant, it is pounded into us daily that safety is OUR responsibility. All of you walking away when you see bad things going on is NOT the right thing to do.

How would you feel if you walked off the line with your gear, and the guy in the next booth (who was being completely safe) winds up with a 9mm to the head? Bet you'd have some regrets!

Yes, for most part... Here the BUT in today society people are fickle..

I had to do what the RSO of this range wasn't around at the time..
I ask the gentleman not to carry his firearm from the lane to the table. He didn't think he was wrong and it was unload.. The range rules are to uncased or re-case your fire arm on the line. SO many people DON'T read the rules..and this is why accidents happen...
There are alot of new shooters out there and i hope they get the right training...

BWHaas
04-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Most people wouldn't react that way you did, I wish they did.

ranttrmike
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Most people wouldn't react that way you did, I wish they did.

I agree, it would be great if they did. I now have access to a club range at the Midland County Sportsmans Club, it's a different attitude there.

ranttrmike
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Yes, for most part... Here the BUT in today society people are fickle..

I had to do what the RSO of this range wasn't around at the time..
I ask the gentleman not to carry his firearm from the lane to the table. He didn't think he was wrong and it was unload.. The range rules are to uncased or re-case your fire arm on the line. SO many people DON'T read the rules..and this is why accidents happen...
There are alot of new shooters out there and i hope they get the right training...

This is why I personally feel that you should have a gun safety class before you can purchase one. Not every time mind you, just a "once and done" class. There is one for CPL licensing, why not before your first purchase?

jeffegg2
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I shoot the off hours when I can. :hide:

Be safe!

BWHaas
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I shoot the off hours when I can. :hide:

Be safe!

I always thought they should post when the busiest hours were? That way they wouldn't turn away business and they would stay busier in the off hours.

SSBN
04-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Depends on the range and range officers. (Indoor or Outdoor). Find one that you feel safe at. I personally like the OCSC (Oakland County Sportsman Club)

lwout65
05-03-2011, 12:12 AM
I bet your talking about Peters Gun shop and range i was a member thier years ago. I have not been thier for some time because the place had such poor ventilation and everything you touched was dirty.
Also the range master would pretty much let people get away with shooting wildly rapid fire and such. Personaly its worth it to drive out of my way to Double action in Madison Heights its safe well maintaned and clean.

paramaster
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately too many ranges have no RSO 'on' the range. those that do can stop unsafe activity immediately, reporting unsafe handling can be after the fact - after someone gets shot! Ranges with no RSO and questionable clientele are best avoided.

cessnapilot
09-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I bet your talking about Peters Gun shop and range i was a member thier years ago. I have not been thier for some time because the place had such poor ventilation and everything you touched was dirty.
Also the range master would pretty much let people get away with shooting wildly rapid fire and such. Personaly its worth it to drive out of my way to Double action in Madison Heights its safe well maintaned and clean.

I really don't think Double Action in Madison Heights is any safer than any of the other indoor ranges mentioned. I don't understand why you feel it is.

I never seen much (any really) supervision at that place.