PDA

View Full Version : Tips on openning a chapter.

durus5995
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have tips on how to start a new chapter? I know on my schools side you have to have 3 students and a faculty adviser. Any tips on how to get the ball rolling?

who dat
10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Does anyone have tips on how to start a new chapter? I know on my schools side you have to have 3 students and a faculty adviser. Any tips on how to get the ball rolling?Look here:

http://www.concealedcampus.org/

jeepinrrt
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have tips on how to start a new chapter? I know on my schools side you have to have 3 students and a faculty adviser. Any tips on how to get the ball rolling?

We just got official student org status at GVSU and it was easier than I expected.

They required that we 1) have an advisor 2) have 4 officers 3) have a written constitution.

The hardest thing you will come across is the faculty advisor. We were very lucky to find an advisor with tenure status. This makes a world of difference. What we had found is that unless the faculty member has tenure, they are not very interested in taking on a "controversial" group such as ours.

Second hardest thing is actually finding other members or officers BEFORE you get status. Until you get status you cannot promote your group on campus which in turn leads to low member count to start. Look to facebook groups to help with this.

As far as the constitution, our president wrote it, it was short and to the point, so unfortunately I don't have much other input on this.

IT also would not hurt to get in touch with the our state rep Reid, and see what he would like you to do.

Will-IB-Ready
10-13-2010, 11:11 AM
That's probably to become an officially recognized student organization.
You don't have to start there (although there are a lot of perks for RSOs), you could start by going to this link:

http://concealedcampus.org/stateinfo.php?sid=76&fd=cclaw&name=Michigan

and making sure that there isn't already a campus leader at your school (you've probably done this already).

Then you can fill out this app for campus leaders:

http://concealedcampus.org/UserFiles/File/PDFs/CL_Application.pdf

And it wouldn't hurt to send an email to Reid Smith, our state director here:

michigan@concealedcampus.org

That will get the ball rolling, but in the meantime you can start to recruit friends and like minded students to become part of your group, and start looking for an advisor who will be willing to support you.

I can also give you some links to resources that will help you raise awareness and some ideas that will help you get started.

Just let me know what you need as you go along.

tuckerbr
11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Brad or I will post the GVSU constitution once we make some changes that we decided on last night for you to reference.

JackRyan
12-18-2010, 02:13 AM
I'm new to the site and just browsing.

But I noticed from the link posted above that there are only 6 concealed campus chapters in Michigan. The list surprised me for 2 reasons. The 2 arguably biggest schools in Michigan UofM and MSU are not there (from which there would be a greater population of students who would be interested). And second, I attend Michigan Technological University, which I would've bet money that MTU would have a chapter LONG before Northern. Techies stereotype northern students as "liberal art hippies".

Apparently Tech is behind the ball on this one.

Will-IB-Ready
12-18-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm new to the site and just browsing.

But I noticed from the link posted above that there are only 6 concealed campus chapters in Michigan. The list surprised me for 2 reasons. The 2 arguably biggest schools in Michigan UofM and MSU are not there (from which there would be a greater population of students who would be interested). And second, I attend Michigan Technological University, which I would've bet money that MTU would have a chapter LONG before Northern. Techies stereotype northern students as "liberal art hippies".

Apparently Tech is behind the ball on this one.
I hear you. What most surprised me, was that my school HAD a chapter on the list and I had never heard of it. :grin:

Having been started after the VA Tech massacre, SCCC is a fairly new organization. So don't feel bad that your school doesn't have it's own group yet. There's no time like the present right?

If you're interested in getting involved or possibly starting your own chapter, send me a private message and I'll do everything I can to help put you in touch with like minded people at your school, and get the ball rolling.

And BTW, :welcome: to MGO.

mallard1123
09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
thanks for the help

fatman
03-31-2015, 06:13 AM
how do i find out if my school has a group like this I am transfering to Northwood and would love to be in contact with this group if they have one.