PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Safety Class vs CCW Class

Richiej
10-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I haven't shot a handgun in over 20 years and am thinking of getting back into it. I'm looking at a compact 9mm and am thinking of getting a CPL. My question is;

Should I buy a handgun and take a handgun safety class first and practice up a bit or should I go right for a CCW class?

Should I wait to buy a gun until after a CCW class to determine what would be the best gun for my needs?

Would the CCW class be difficult to pass when I havent shot a gun in so many years?

Just curious what your advice would be.

Thanks,
Rich

TomE
10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
In the class I took ,everyone passed everything , including people who never ,ever ,shot a gun .

I would say find a class that rents equip for a CPL and go from there .

If you buy a carry pistol ,make it a Glock , S & W M&P , or a Kahr . That way you won't have to sell your Taurus ,Kel-Tec ,etc . To get something reliable you can trust you life to .

_DK_
10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I haven't shot a handgun in over 20 years and am thinking of getting back into it. I'm looking at a compact 9mm and am thinking of getting a CPL. My question is;

Should I buy a handgun and take a handgun safety class first and practice up a bit or should I go right for a CCW class?

Should I wait to buy a gun until after a CCW class to determine what would be the best gun for my needs?

Would the CCW class be difficult to pass when I havent shot a gun in so many years?

Thanks,
Rich

Come to an MGO fun shoot, Most people bring out numerous toys to play with and are good at sharing...

But to answer your question, most places that teach CPL courses do not have a pre-req to taking the class. It's best to be familiar with the basics, IMO. Some provide guns for rent if you don't own one.

mikeb32
10-15-2010, 09:49 AM
:welcome: from westland

JohnJak
10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome to MGO.

I would do some reading on firearm safety and then go to a CPL class. There are instructors and others that will help you out. Just be upfront and honest with everyone about your past experience with hand guns.

Number one rule to follow is to treat every as if it were loaded at all times.

AOF
10-15-2010, 10:36 AM
You can purchase the Basic Handgun book from the NRA for about $20. Read the book to get an understanding of the basics, go to the range a couple of times and you'll be ready for a CPL class.

You could get your gun first if you want, something in a 9mm or 38spl of quality is always a good purchase. It's nice if you can try a few before you buy.

Some clubs offer the NRA's "First Steps" class which is usually cheaper, shorter and very basic. Might be something your interested in.

SeeTee
10-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Come to an MGO fun shoot, Most people bring out numerous toys to play with and are good at sharing...

But to answer your question, most places that teach CPL courses do not have a pre-req to taking the class. It's best to be familiar with the basics, IMO. Some provide guns for rent if you don't own one.

:yeahthat:

Welcome to MGO, there is a MGO fun shoot Friday the 22nd, more information here:
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107240

It's is free, you don't need bring anything, but eye and ear protection, if you have them, but if not, somebody usually has extra and friends and family are welcome.

Richiej
10-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advise and the invite to the Fun Shoot. I might just take you up on that.
I do own a GP100 and know basic gun safety, though I could use a refresher, but I have never owned or fired a semi auto handgun. What I really need is instruction on the basics of semi autos and how they work and how to carry them.

SeeTee
10-15-2010, 07:04 PM
If you do come out I can show you how a Glock works, and there are some differences in the semi auto group, I unfortunately don’t own one of each,:sad: but I am sure many types and models will be well represented, and people would be just as willing to go over them with you, after all whatever someone is carrying, it’s the best and they always like to tell you about it.:wink:

Their will be many very knowledgeable shooters there that will be able to answer whatever question you may have and give suggestions as to professional training that you may want to follow up on.:thumbup:

cmike
10-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks,
Rich

Take the CPL (concealed pistol license) class. If you take the class first you will have more knowledge of what kind of handgun to get to carry.

You don't need to be proficient in shooting before taking the class.

Try to find a place where you can rent guns so you can try them out.

Groo
10-23-2010, 05:55 PM
in all honesty, a good CPL gun is a poor CPL class gun. If your main goal is to carry concealed, rent one for the class.

Richiej
10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
in all honesty, a good CPL gun is a poor CPL class gun. If your main goal is to carry concealed, rent one for the class.
Hey Groo, What would be a good class gun? I have a gp100, would that work for the class?

hopeitsfast
10-23-2010, 07:17 PM
What do you mean by this? :confused:

Joeywhat
10-23-2010, 07:20 PM

That makes no sense...

hopeitsfast
10-23-2010, 07:24 PM
That makes no sense...I thought the same thing. But i am curious about the explanation.

wishn-i-was-fishn
10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Richiej

Thanks,
Rich

Take the CPL (concealed pistol license) class. If you take the class first you will have more knowledge of what kind of handgun to get to carry.

You don't need to be proficient in shooting before taking the class.

Try to find a place where you can rent guns so you can try them out.

This is what the NRA says about pre-requisites for Personal Protection in the Home which is the most widely taught course for meeting CPL education requirements.

"NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Course participants must be experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course. "

Sadly, many NRA certified instructors do not follow this guideline as well as other guidelines for the course. NRA PPIH does not teach HOW to shoot and those with no experience do not belong in the course. I teach a First Steps Pistol Course once a month for students with little or no experience to bring them to the minimum level to take the PPIH course.

Students without experience will not be able to perform the exercises in PPIH range session and will fail the class if the instructor is teaching it according to NRA guidelines. I will not admit students into PPIH class if they communicate they have no experience. Students who bluff their way into class by lying about experience end up failing the range session and the class.

By the way, we receive rave reviews from students who take the First Steps Pistol and they always indicate they were glad they took it before taking PPIH.

tote'ngranny
10-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Seriously??? Why would you not use the same gun that you intend to carry to get your CPL?? Same goes for taking a class, practicing at the range....

cmike
10-24-2010, 12:24 PM
nks,
Rich

This is what the NRA says about pre-requisites for Personal Protection in the Home which is the most widely taught course for meeting CPL education requirements.

"NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Course participants must be experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course. "

Sadly, many NRA certified instructors do not follow this guideline as well as other guidelines for the course. NRA PPIH does not teach HOW to shoot and those with no experience do not belong in the course. I teach a First Steps Pistol Course once a month for students with little or no experience to bring them to the minimum level to take the PPIH course.

Students without experience will not be able to perform the exercises in PPIH range session and will fail the class if the instructor is teaching it according to NRA guidelines. I will not admit students into PPIH class if they communicate they have no experience. Students who bluff their way into class by lying about experience end up failing the range session and the class.

By the way, we receive rave reviews from students who take the First Steps Pistol and they always indicate they were glad they took it before taking PPIH.

At the Firing Line you need a CPL to take the personal protection series. And you need to take the drawing class to take the other more advanced classes.

When I was waiting in the county clerk's office there was a woman sitting next to me who was also getting her CPL. Apparently she was there to do security for a church.

I was a little concerned about how little her knowledge of guns were.

She said that she was in the army. I think perhaps it may have been in the revolutionary war.

cmike
10-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Seriously??? Why would you not use the same gun that you intend to carry to get your CPL?? Same goes for taking a class, practicing at the range....

Perhaps he means that for carrying you should get some snubbie, that you wouldn't want to use in a class, because it would be too unpleasant to shoot.

I disagree with that, but it's the only sense I can make from it. :togo:

tote'ngranny
10-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks,
Rich
I recomend that you look into the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm compact which is very reliable, offers you 3 sizes of backstraps to fit your grip, not fussy with different ammos... and quite affordable. Also..you are located not too far from Dougwg, a long standing member here who's shop is in Taylor, does fantastic sear/trigger jobs on M&Ps for IMO cheap. I :heart: my M&P9c as a carry gun. I wish that I had this when I took my CPL class instead of the S&W 638 revolver I used.

dpgperftest
10-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Two different animals Handgun Safety Class vs "CPL"Class

Safety Class are 100% Saftey

CPL classes is a bit of every thing

dpgperftest
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
+1

tote'ngranny
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Perhaps he means that for carrying you should get some snubbie, that you wouldn't want to use in a class, because it would be too unpleasant to shoot.

I disagree with that, but it's the only sense I can make from it. :togo:
That makes no sense as I just posted that I originally bought/used a snubby and I had one heck of a time with the heavy trigger pull and recoil to get good consecutive shot placements. Not so with my M&P9c. Like I said, I just wish that I had this gun from the beginning.

cmike
10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
That makes no sense as I just posted that I originally bought/used a snubby and I had one heck of a time with the heavy trigger pull and recoil to get good consecutive shot placements. Not so with my M&P9c. Like I said, I just wish that I had this gun from the beginning.

I agree with you. I am just trying to understand what he said.

Actually I am pondering getting a snubbie for carrying, just because it's easy to carry. However, if my shot placement is not good when I really need it, it's probably not a great idea, huh?

I was thinking of buying a Colt Detective Special.

hopeitsfast
10-24-2010, 12:48 PM
If someone can't pass the shooting portion of the CPL requirements with their carry gun, then it shouldn't be their carry gun. It's not like you're shooting at 50yds.

tote'ngranny
10-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with you. I am just trying to understand what he said.

Actually I am pondering getting a snubbie for carrying, just because it's easy to carry. However, if my shot placement is not good when I really need it, it's probably not a great idea, huh?

I was thinking of buying a Colt Detective Special.
Well... uh ... IMO, the gun you shoot the best, most effectively with, should be your carry gun. If that gun is a semi auto, then why switch to a snubby just because it is smaller and easier to conceal? Find another semi auto that you will feel confident and conceals well. That's what I did.

cmike
10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah...I know you are right.

Richiej
10-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Well I went ahead an took the CPL class and rented a SR9C to use in the class. I think the class was pretty informative on the basics. I was pretty amazed at how little experience some of the people in the class had. Like I said I havent shot my hand guns in about 20 years but have shot other guns like my Browning for sporting clays so I wasn't totally new to shooting. I'm glad I waited till after the class to pick a handgun. It lets me see what others are carrying and let me shoot the Ruger which was one of my choices. I am going to rent a M&P this week to compare and maybe the Glock 26. So I got the certificate and filled out all the paperwork, turned it in and got fingerprinted and all is left is to decide on a gun and then practice, practice, practice. Thanks for all the comments and information guys.

hopeitsfast
10-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Well I went ahead an took the CPL class and rented a SR9C to use in the class. I think the class was pretty informative on the basics. I was pretty amazed at how little experience some of the people in the class had. Like I said I havent shot my hand guns in about 20 years but have shot other guns like my Browning for sporting clays so I wasn't totally new to shooting. I'm glad I waited till after the class to pick a handgun. It lets me see what others are carrying and let me shoot the Ruger which was one of my choices. I am going to rent a M&P this week to compare and maybe the Glock 26. So I got the certificate and filled out all the paperwork, turned it in and got fingerprinted and all is left is to decide on a gun and then practice, practice, practice. Thanks for all the comments and information guys.
Congrats man. Now the waiting game begins.

Richiej
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Congrats man. Now the waiting game begins.

Thanks, I hope I have to wait forever. I never want to be put in the spot where I need to use my gun. I would rather shoot at paper.

hopeitsfast
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks, I hope I have to wait forever. I never want to be put in the spot where I need to use my gun. I would rather shoot at paper.
I meant the wait til your CPL arrives....geez.

Richiej
10-26-2010, 01:22 PM

I realized that after I had hit the send button.:oops:
They told me it would take 8 weeks.... not too bad.

midshark
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
When I was waiting in the county clerk's office there was a woman sitting next to me who was also getting her CPL. Apparently she was there to do security for a church.

I was a little concerned about how little her knowledge of guns were.

She said that she was in the army. I think perhaps it may have been in the revolutionary war.

Sorry I don't have anything to add to the thread, but I have to thank cmike for the laugh. Luckily I wasn't taking a drink at the time, or I'd be out shopping for a new computer.

donald150
12-04-2010, 06:58 PM

This post was worth reading just for that :lolup:

dirtyharry
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
This post was worth reading just for that :lolup:

I concur.

On another note to the OP. Make sure you also continue your traning with more advanced classes if your finances and schedule allow. If not, try to make time. You will be amazed at how much more you learn in more advanced classes.