PDA

View Full Version : Son's second buck. 12 years old and tagged out!

Skinner 2
10-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Saturday evening October 16. A day before my 49 birthday found my son and I sitting in the pop-up blind he shot his first deer ( a Spike) out of last weekend. We relived that hunt over while we sat there and Russell read a book. He quite reading and looked around a bit while we quietly talked.

He asked when we were going to quit and go in. It was 4 pm when we got there and it was no pushing 6pm. The same time he shot the spike a week before. I told him we would sit to just about dark. He was not really too enthused I guess as he found out earlier he now had to wait for a buck with 4 points or more. What the chance one would show up like that he asked. One never knows I replied.

He told me he didn’t have any books left and was hungry. I told him would survive and time would go fast. About this time Russ leaned over slightly, I saw his eyes grow big, he looked over at me and pointed out the window. I leaned slightly forward and looked in the direction Russ had pointed. There stood not only a deer but a buck. The buck was about 10 yards from us with head down feeding on clover. The buck raised his head and looked around. I saw 4 clear points on one side. Slowly I sat back and told Russ to shoot it.

The crossbow was resting on the shooting sticks and the stirrup was resting on the window. I showed Russ earlier how to pull the stock down and raise the bow without make any noise. Russ did this as shown and soon had his hand on the stack and the bow shouldered. The buck was to our left, head down feeding about 12 yards from us. Russ was out of position trying to lean so far sideways and backward for the shot. The arrow looked as if it would strike the blind.

I knew Russ needed to move slightly and I worried the buck would hear or see us. Russ actually got out of his chair. I had only wanted him to shift it a bit. Slowly I moved the chair and Russ sat back down. I could not believe the deer didn’t hear us. Russ now had a clear shot at the buck. The bucks now about 15 yards away at a sharp quartering away pose. I though about having him take the shot but told him to wait a bit for it to turn.

As if on cue the buck turn broadside and was walking past us. I told Russ to wait till it cleared the only tree in the food plot. As the deer cleared the tree I bleated with my voice. The buck stopped walking and looked around. Just a second passed before Russ took the shot. I could clearly see where the lumenok entered the deer. The deer run out one of the lanes I cut in the blackberry bushes. The buck ran a short distance up the hill. We could see his tail start to quiver and the deer staggered. I told Russ he was going down right there. With that the deer ran just a bit more clearing the top of the hill. All was quite.

Russ called his grandpa on the radio and informed him he just shot another buck. Grandpa offered his help to get the deer out. We decided to let grandpa hunt till dark and we would handle the deer.

I told Russ he was making this look way too easy and NOT to expect to shoot deer most every time he went out. I let Russ track this deer. It was an easy track job. We realized I had left my camera home. The only camera with us was on Russell’s DSI. He set up his DSI so I could take his picture, after some instructions on how to use it, (worried I would break it). After we took the photo, Russ called his mother and other grandparents to tell of his fortune. As he talked we met up with my dad.

So here is Russell with his 8 point, and what more could I ask for a early Birthday present.:birthday:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/skinner2/HNI_0023.jpg
Skinner

mikeb32
10-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I need to borrow that kid for a few hours...I need my Freezer filled up!!!
Congrats Russell for the 2nd time.

jackle1886
10-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Good for him :) As long as he knows this doesn't happen every year. Looks like he made a perfect shot too.

beller
10-21-2010, 12:57 AM
I still have never shot a buck he has got me beat congrats

protectionisamust
10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
I told Russ he was making this look way too easy and NOT to expect to shoot deer most every time he went out.

This made me laugh as he's proving you wrong dad.

Tell him congrats. I bet he's completly hooked now!! How exciting for a yongster. Are you having the 8 pt. mounted for the boy?

Whens the MGO BBQ :wink:

pgaplayerless
10-21-2010, 05:56 AM
let the little ones go ;)

But they do make for tender-er meat.

miked
10-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Congrats!

He's got me beat, I've been hunting for 25 years and haven't gotten anything bigger than a 4 point.

RevDerb
10-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Congratulations to you and your son. Hoping for my first buck this year.