PDA

View Full Version : 11 yr Old Boy Finds a Gun...

tote'ngranny
10-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I received this article through the USACC email about a Toledo, Ohio boy because his grandfather taught him firearm safety pertaining to *found guns* and what to do. Thought I would post this because we should teach our kids and grandkids what to do just in case. It can happen as it did with this boy. This is one case involving firearms that had a very good outcome.

Gun Safety Education Works!
By: Buckeye Firearms Association(10/22/2010)

"A child without that background could have picked up the weapon and accidentally fired it"

When 11 year-old Mason Knannlein found a gun in the yard, he had his grandfather to thank for teaching him what to do.

Mason said he learned two rules about "found" guns from his grandfather, Lawrence "Whitey" Knannlein, a retired Toledo police officer: Tell an adult, and don't leave it unattended. Mr. Knannlein said his second rule actually was "don't touch it," but Mason followed that one too.

From The Toledo Blade article on this incident:

"I'm very proud of him. He did just the right thing," Mason's grandfather said.

For his actions, Mason is expected to receive a junior safety award from Toledo City Council on Nov. 9, Mason's family said.

...Mr. Knannlein said his grandson has been learning about guns and gun safety he was 7, and the boy has been very safety-conscious.

"He really loves to shoot. He fishes with his Dad, and he hunts and shoots with me," Mr. Knannlein said.

A child without that background could have picked up the weapon and accidentally fired it, said the grandfather, who teaches a concealed-carry course at Owens Community College.

"Other kids would have picked it up," Mason agreed. "They might have brought it to school."

Teaching children what to do if they find a gun is imperative for all parents, whether or not they keep a firearm in their home, because the child will not always be in the home. It's always possible for young children to come into unauthorized, unsupervised contact with a firearm, and only proactive education by parents can prevent an accident.

Gun safety training, such as that provided by the National Rifle Association's Eddie Eagle GunSafeŽ Program, educates children on the same principles used by this Toledo youth.

Created in 1988 by past NRA President Marion P. Hammer, in consultation with law enforcement officers, elementary school teachers, and child psychologists, the program provides pre-K through the third grade children with simple, effective rules to follow should they encounter a firearm in an unsupervised setting: "If you see a gun: STOP! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult."

The self-explanatory program includes a student workbook, corresponding instructor guide, reward stickers, posters and parent guides.

If your children haven't been taught what to do if they find a gun, it is your responsibility to teach them.
If your school isn't teaching the Eddie Eagle GunSafeŽ Program, ask the superintendent why not. Anyone can teach the material, and it can be covered in 30 minutes to an hour. Volunteer to do it for them!

OX SMASH!!
10-22-2010, 12:39 PM
good story, ive gotten into arguments with people who didn't think that this simple type of gun safety should be thought in schools because they don't care if their gun grabbing agenda gets in the way of their kids being safe, and argued that even talking about guns was promoting a curiosity, i asked them, does the D.A.R.E. program promote drug use? no, it teaches kids what to do and how to be safe, but they still wouldn't have it

but the real curiosity, comes from all the guns they see on tv and movies, and coming across one , having not been taught not to play with it, is the real reason they will be curious

TylerPearce
10-22-2010, 03:27 PM
but the real curiosity, comes from all the guns they see on tv and movies, and coming across one , having not been taught not to play with it, is the real reason they will be curious

This is one reason why I think it is good for all kids not only to learn safety with firearms, but also to experience shooting one at least once in their lives. That way, some of the curiosity goes away... Just a thought.

XDM 40 cal
10-23-2010, 09:04 AM
This is Great story, Far to often you here on the news of a kid finding a hand gun a playing with it, causing someone to be hurt..(shot)

I teach my dauther not to touch, and come get me or adult in the family.

I agree that there should be some form of teaching in school...

mikeb32
10-23-2010, 09:09 AM
+1

Groo
10-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know about you guys, but by 11 I had plenty of firearm experience. more than enought to know a gun wasn't a toy, and I hope the common sense to realize a handgun tossed somewere was probably evidence in a crime. The fact the my upbringing and probably reactions are the exception and not the rule does not speak well to how our kids are being raised.

Phelptwan
10-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Hmm...at 11, I would have cleared it and brought it to dad...

Tallbear
10-25-2010, 09:06 AM
There's a bill in legislation that would get a program like this in schools. With a push by constituents showing support for the bill it "may" get passed before this session ends. Other wise it will have to be reintroduced next year.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28bqrkpafltwdho3zjvidh3wyy%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2010-SB-1402

Pouget
10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I can't believe things like this!

Jerbear1098
10-28-2010, 03:49 PM
When I have friends over that have little kids, I put the Eddie the Eagle tape in and have them watch it. The parents are happy and hopefully I may save a child some day.

aaron
10-29-2010, 05:10 PM
My fiance was horrified that I was showing my 5 yr old son my pistols and what to do it he ever found one somewhere. Mine stay locked in a safe.

I asked her "Would you rather me teach him about gun safety and what to do, or would you rather him find out about them at a friends house if they find one in a closet?" :silly:

tote'ngranny
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
My fiance was horrified that I was showing my 5 yr old son my pistols and what to do it he ever found one somewhere. Mine stay locked in a safe.

I asked her "Would you rather me teach him about gun safety and what to do, or would you rather him find out about them at a friends house if they find one in a closet?" :silly:
Good for you!!

Show her the article in the first post, and reinterate that it is for his safe being.

3fingervic
11-10-2010, 06:57 AM
This guy's philosophy on gun education for kids seem spot on to me. This is a 35 min. video, and he has a part 2 that is the same length. It's long, but a good thing to view, IMO.

BTW, he has some sweet reviews and other vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrorxilPMFo

chewy
11-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Good article. I know it's a very controversial subject but I firmly believe that with the level of violence in our society and the prevalence of guns everywhere that firearm safety should be a mandatory class at some point in school. It's better to have SOME exposure to it so they are safe and don't hurt themselves or others than to have none and have the "cool" or "curiosity" factor come into it and get someone hurt should they come across a weapon.

mikeb32
11-10-2010, 07:27 AM
+1 I couldn't agree more!!