PDA

View Full Version : Plugged magazines

Cedmonds
10-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Are you allowed to temporarily modify a magazine with a plug to limit the magazines capacity?

pkuptruck
10-25-2010, 02:54 AM
depends on the application....

if you have a high cap pistol mag...and want to limit it.... for OC or CC or target shooting or whatever...? Sure , knock yourself out...

Same for a rifle.... no one really cares! :banana:

BUT... if your using it for REGULATED activity.... then the "temp" fix MUST be pretty good, or semi-permenant.... ( I.e. hunting.....check the DNR website for more info on this...)

Donzie
10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Are you allowed to temporarily modify a magazine with a plug to limit the magazines capacity?
I know you can for water foul, and I do it annually for whitetail.

Joeywhat
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
What I would make sure and do is require the magazine to be disassembled for the plug to be removed, and make sure the plug allows ONLY the alloted ammo...if you can force in another round - even if it won't fit in the gun when loaded as such - you may get boned for being over mag capacity. So make sure the plug is solid enough and long enough to only allow the capacity that is required.

Donzie
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
I use a block of aluminum cut to fit, between my mag floor plate and spring.

Cedmonds
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
If anyone has any link about plugging the magazine from the DNR website let me know. I only seen it in referance to shotguns being used with 3rnds for water fowl.

To clarify my intent, I'm toying with the notion of going coyote hunting with my SKS or FAL. The SKS has a fixed 10round mag that I don't mind modifying at all even if it means spotwelding or popriviting in a stop, the fal has metric 20round box mags where the floor plate comes off. What im thinking of doing in that is making a U shape ridgid piece of metal to go under the floor plate and permanently solder the floor plate on. I'm sure if im seen with a FAL with a big box mag in it I'll get guff from a conservation officer somewhere along the line unless I make it visibly known it can't be loaded (maybe drill a bunch of BIG holes in the bottom of the mag so they can see the stopper and so they can see their are no extra rounds in it.

walldj45
10-25-2010, 03:15 PM
If anyone has any link about plugging the magazine from the DNR website let me know. I only seen it in referance to shotguns being used with 3rnds for water fowl.

To clarify my intent, I'm toying with the notion of going coyote hunting with my SKS or FAL. The SKS has a fixed 10round mag that I don't mind modifying at all even if it means spotwelding or popriviting in a stop, the fal has metric 20round box mags where the floor plate comes off. What im thinking of doing in that is making a U shape ridgid piece of metal to go under the floor plate and permanently solder the floor plate on. I'm sure if im seen with a FAL with a big box mag in it I'll get guff from a conservation officer somewhere along the line unless I make it visibly known it can't be loaded (maybe drill a bunch of BIG holes in the bottom of the mag so they can see the stopper and so they can see their are no extra rounds in it.

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-Metric-5-Round-Steel-Hunting-Mag---1175/productinfo/1175/

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=916&currency=USD

Donzie
10-25-2010, 05:25 PM

I have used stock SKS 10 rounders by tack welding them closed with a block in them and grinding part of the hook off. Damn, I just gave the last two to a friend who may never use them. I would have certainly gave them to you if I still had them.
I wouldn't worry about drilling BIG holes in the mag, maybe worry about the BIG holes in them Yotes from your FAL :cannon: just play'n!

sawcarver
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM

I have used my L1A1 many times for hunting with a block in the 20 round mag. I have had conversations with COs while holding the gun in the field but they never asked about it. All it takes is one officer, so it is probably a good idea to check into it

DocCasualty
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
For the SKS, just swap out the mag for a 5 rounder. I bought one just for this purpose but never ended up hunting with it. It's a quick change over.

_DK_
10-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Couldn't you just load the mag with 4-5 round, Pop some holes in the side and use some pop-rivets to stop the follower? Pop rivets are easily removed, then you can pop new ones in next season...

Though most of the ones I've seen where aluminum AR mags that the guys just cut a C shaped cutout on both sides then Bent in the tabs. Mags are cheap and disposable anyways.