PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC Remington

bluethunder
02-01-2005, 11:04 AM
So, what's the skinny on this ammo and uppers. I've seen Barett adds for uppers. (BTW, you gotta love that mans commitment to his industry, after reading the bottom of his adds. Something about Cali's stupid .50 ban)But I've not heard of the round. Anyone have any experience with it?

lee
02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Its is rumored that .223 is history. USA,s next battle rifle will probably be built by H and K and its bullet will be the 6.8 spc. Robarms will release their new XCR rifle that is modular and will use both 223 and 6.8 with a change of barrels and mags. I will take about 5 minutes to switch the rifle over to another round. The rifle has AR ergonomics and accuracy but has a convetional gas tube ie. AK action. It will be about a 1000.00$ and be made in Utah. More can seen at http://www.robarm.com/

USA Patriot
02-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Everything I have seen does point to the HK solution. I have heard the rumors also, but the testing for the M16A2 replacement uses 5.56 NATO and the 'grenade' launcher bullpup setup with the electronic proximity air detonation fuse. Optical sight w/ built in rangefinder for rifle and 'grenade'. Nice piece of equipment, but I don't know if I agree with a German solution. I would have liked to have seen an American solution, as politically incorrect as that may be...

It remains to be seen if the final solution outdates the 5.56 NATO or if they keep it and simply go with the heavier bullet weights that are in vouge now instead of 55/62 gr.

RSF
02-02-2005, 03:06 AM
actuallly some 77 grain otm was being used in iraq this year! with great results in the 223

bluethunder
02-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Nice site. Must ...resist...temptation...to ....buy...new....rifle.... :shock: So it uses a different mag than the AR? Anybody seen ammo for sale? Probably as expensive as that "evil" :roll: 5.7 FN round.

USA Patriot
02-03-2005, 12:10 AM
The 77 grain 5.56 is exactly what I was referring to. They tested it out during the Afgan campaign (looooong distances out there my friend) and it worked out great. But when you put it in a 16" barrel M4, well... I remain to be convinced. At the least, the M4 upgraded feedramps came out of it.

You wouldn't catch me out there unless I had an M14 .308! (or a .50 barrett)

RSF
02-03-2005, 01:08 AM
trouble is cqb and long distance battles it is a catch all to may variables for sure 308 to heavy payout load! gtreat long range stopper, heavy and cumbersome for cqb! in cities!

USA Patriot
02-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Roger that.

CQB is a big problem with a .308. In the Afgan open country, it would be .308 hands down IF I didn't have to go house to hut. But as part of a squad, that is a different story. The Russians, for example, used their Dragunov (SVD) in 7.62X54R in the same role as First Cavalry SDM's are using their M14's. Too bad those Russian optics were never that impressive. Either way, they always had plenty of guys in their squads with 5.45 AK's, just like our guys with M16A2's in 5.56.

It it just amazing how large powers fighting the same types of battles tend to use similar tactics...

Either way, I would rather be the guy with the .308!!!

RSF
06-30-2005, 11:51 PM
having had some cool insight to this this past week and having a chance to play with the new hk the other day the hk-416 i can tell you this the 6.8 is most likley dead, the new hk is in .223

the big reason you will not see the 6.8 take off is simple 4 letter word NATO!

fbuckner
07-01-2005, 03:00 AM
imho instead of messing around with changing the caliber of the rounds or the amount of rounds thru the barrel we ought to work on accuracy. If anyone has read one shot one kill our military has gotten worse as far as rounds expended for each kill.
Granted we have other options and war is different but the .223 .308 are very reliable calibers. and with the confermed 1000 yd shots of sgt Hathcock i would even feel good with a 30/06