PDA

View Full Version : Building a 1911.

joen
02-08-2005, 06:24 AM
I'm sure I saw the answers or somewhere before but, as usual, can't find them.

1) Looking for recommendations for a 1911 frame. Plan to build one up and put a Colt .22 conversion kit on it. That I have; the frame I don't. I remember Essex used to be good but I've been outta the loop for awhile.

2) How do I go about registering the frame once I get it? I know for sure that I won't have it assembled into a firearm (as people know one) until well beyond the 10 day or reasonable window. I don't even have any parts yet.

Thanks.

WhoIsJohnGalt
02-08-2005, 06:31 AM
"2) How do I go about registering the frame once I get it? I know for sure that I won't have it assembled into a firearm (as people know one) until well beyond the 10 day or reasonable window. I don't even have any parts yet."

Very interesting question!

Since we know Michigan has no handgun registration, 8) and since the serial numbered frame is considered a "firearm", I suppose you would have to get the frame "Safety Inspected"? :?

karcent
02-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Essex is still in business and is currently manufacturing better frames than they ever did due to newly acquired CNC machinery.
Ask at your local jurisdiction about the registration. They may tell you to bring it back when it's completed.

jmoser
02-08-2005, 09:36 AM
My .22 Marvel 1911 conversion is on a dedicated Essex frame.

I would not sweat the frame too much, the .22 kits have no slide to frame movement which can affect accuracy. Since the fixed barrel and sights are within the solid .22 upper the slide to frame fit is really irrelevant. [In a .45 1911 you have Frame-to-slide-to-bushing-to-barrel all with the potential to affect accuracy.]

As long as the frame permits good quality trigger/hammer/sear parts to be installed you should have no problem. Just stay away from any 'pot metal' no-name junk frames.

You are required to present the firearm for inspection wihtin 10 days. In this case the frame is the firearm. Present it and you have fulfilled your legal responsibility. Despite what they say you do NOT need the 'green card' at all.

One of Many
02-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Check out this site: http://forum.m1911.org/

Everything you could ever ask for, and then some.

joen
02-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Thank you, One of Many. I finally got out to the 1911 site last night. For some reason, my employer 403's any site blatantly advocating firearm issues. They haven't MGO yet...he.he.he!

I'll post the results of having the frame 'safety inspected' once I get a hold of one.