PDA

View Full Version : magazine capacity

farmleydevo
11-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Okay, someone please end an argument for me. I have always had the understanding that the weapon you choose to hunt with must have a limited capacity magazine, no more than 5 rounds. My friend is telling me that the magazine capacity doesn't matter as long as you only have 5 rounds loaded. I think he is wrong because government would not trust the general public to not fill magazines to capacity and have therefore placed a limited quantity capacity on the magazines to restrict the kinds of weapons we hunt with. Who is right?

pkuptruck
11-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Okay, someone please end an argument for me. I have always had the understanding that the weapon you choose to hunt with must have a limited capacity magazine, no more than 5 rounds. My friend is telling me that the magazine capacity doesn't matter as long as you only have 5 rounds loaded. I think he is wrong because government would not trust the general public to not fill magazines to capacity and have therefore placed a limited quantity capacity on the magazines to restrict the kinds of weapons we hunt with. Who is right?

well, you are right.... to a point...

with a rifle... you can pnly have a magazine that holds 5 rounds. IT MUST BE
MADE SO THAT NO MORE THAN 5 ROUNDS CAN BE LOADED INTO THE MAGAZINE...

however, a pistol is regarded differently.... I believe that limit is 9 rounds in the magazine....

you win. !!!:gavel:

Hawgrider
11-02-2010, 05:44 AM
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells.

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

TomE
11-02-2010, 06:11 AM
In the shotgun zone only

farmleydevo
11-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Ha!! That's what I have been trying to tell him. He won't listen though.

TylerPearce
11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
so what about with a pump shotgun? Or a lever action rifle?

_DK_
11-03-2010, 08:26 AM

its bolded in post #3, you'll have to plug the tubes to not allow the additional rounds to be loaded

pkuptruck
11-03-2010, 08:33 AM

It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells.

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

thats what I said... without all the shouting....LOL.... :book:

pkuptruck
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM

makes no difference. even a gattlin gun needs to modded to adhere to the law/regs... :banana:

Hawgrider
11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
thats what I said... without all the shouting....LOL.... :book:But Sir those are not caps. The are a bigger font and bolded so old guys like me can see them.
And I provided the proof in the pudding for you. Just backing you up:razz:

pkuptruck
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
But Sir those are not caps. The are a bigger font and bolded so old guys like me can see them.
And I provided the proof in the pudding for you. Just backing you up:razz:

I can always use someone on my six.... :thumbup:

ninjatoth
11-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't know whether the gun itself has to be plugged or just hold 5 rounds,but it only applies to semi-auto rifles and shotguns.Pump,bolt,lever action rifles and shotguns there is no round limit,same for any tpe of handgun-exept for in zone 3 where it has to hold 9 or less.

Leader
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Ahhh ... you missed part of that.
Doesn't apply to pumps or lever guns.
Or even bolt action.

TylerPearce
11-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Ahhh ... you missed part of that.
Doesn't apply to pumps or lever guns.
Or even bolt action.

This is what I was referring to. Thank you for helping me not look like I am blind. Haha.

PorkChopsMmm
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Finding some 5 round mags for rifles is tricky. Wish it was just amount loaded.

durus5995
11-05-2010, 04:02 PM
What exactly is the fine for getting caught hunting with a magazine over 5 rounds anyways?

Big_Jim
11-05-2010, 04:26 PM
What exactly is the fine for getting caught hunting with a magazine over 5 rounds anyways?

Probably more than just buying a 5 round mag in the first place.

langenc
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Every new semi auto come with a "PLUG" so as to prevent more than 3 shells in barrel and mag combined... weather the user installs it is another matter. I expect there are buyers that have no idea what that 'thing' is for.

How about a 3.5" 12 ga?? I guess 2x3.5= about 7".. 3 (over the limit) 2 3/4" shells would be longer than 7" and thus the 3rd-2 3/4" shell would not load into the mag. The first thing the duck cop is going to ask for is your shotgiun and a shell. He will then try to load it. Then he will shuck all the ammo OUT of the gun. Better not be more than three come out of the gun.

Groo
11-06-2010, 08:35 AM
if you want a low cap mag for something like an AK or AR, seams like you could just drill and bolt it to prevent it from being fully loaded, that way you can use a cheap mil surplus mag.

I supose another option would be disable the gas flow and make it a non-semi-automatic, but that sounds like more work and might cause other problems long term.

durus5995
11-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Well here is another way so you do not have to drill into your Ar mag. This is what I am going to do when my 20 round P mag.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=426869

Buzzcat
11-06-2010, 12:56 PM

You'll lose your gun, to start. Confiscated, gone.

Plus a court date, plus lawyer's fees if you choose to fight, plus a nice big fine whether or not you have a lawyer, and if they catch you with the gun and a dead animal at the same time, you'll probably lose your hunting rights for a few years. Also, if the local newspaper is bored, they might to decide to publish your name and tell everyone what you did.

Do NOT fack with the DNR.

_DK_
11-15-2010, 07:50 AM
If a plastic plug is good enough for a shotgun magazine tube wouldn't a plastic plug under the follower of a pistol or rifle magazine be just as legal?

This is what I plan on doing anyways for my pistol, should I need to use it to take an animal or put one down with my pistol.

oldskoolford427
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but

So for discussion sake does that mean NO 357 sig rounds can be used ?

Leader
11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but

Not during firearms deer season in the shotgun zone.

_DK_
11-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Not for taking a Deer, you can carry it for SD only.

Will-IB-Ready
11-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I am hunting with my AR pistol this year, and I'm in the rifle zone. From reading through the DNR's site, it seems to me that I can have fully loaded 30 round mags with no problem if I want to.

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 11:48 AM
What about target shooting? I carry an XD .40, I have a CPL, and I want to be able to target shoot that, and my Socom 16. The .40 holds 13, and the M1A holds 21. I really have no plans on hunting.

Buzzcat
04-09-2011, 11:54 AM
What about target shooting? I carry an XD .40, I have a CPL, and I want to be able to target shoot that, and my Socom 16. The .40 holds 13, and the M1A holds 21. I really have no plans on hunting.

Just don't get caught out in the woods with either of them during hunting season.

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I thought I could carry/target shoot the XD with a CPL in season. And the Socom as long as I had a hunting license, to target shoot, as long as I wasnt hunting. ??

Is this the Nov. 15 to 30 season, or any hunting season?

Leader
04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought I could carry/target shoot the XD with a CPL in season. And the Socom as long as I had a hunting license, to target shoot, as long as I wasnt hunting. ??

You are correct, you *MAY* carry to target shoot or for self defense as long as there is no attempt to take game. No license is needed.
The caliber & magazine restrictions are for the shotgun zone & during firearm deer season only.

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 12:25 PM
How do I know when Im in a shotgun zone? Thats a new term to me.

Buzzcat
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM

There's no law against target shooting during the deer hunt, AFAIK, but you run into two problems:

1. Depending on the circumstances, a CO could possibly jack you for the +5 round mags whether you're hunting or not. Doesn't matter what you say you're doing, it matters what the CO thinks you're doing. Additionally, he/she could jack you for a no hunting license cite as well.

2. Target shooting during deer season obviously spooks the deer and pisses off all the hunters within half a mile who are out there trying to bag one.

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Ok, well I could skip it for the two weeks in Nov. I dont want to bother anyone. But Im ok the rest of the year to shoot and with capacity?

Do I have to wear hunter orange?

Leader
04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Ok, well I could skip it for the two weeks in Nov. I dont want to bother anyone. But Im ok the rest of the year to shoot and with capacity?

Basically the shotgun zone is the southern half of the lower peninslua .
And no you are not required to wear hunter orange for target shooting but it sure couldn't hurt during seasons when people are in the area with guns.

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
This is one thing I read that concerns me. :

it is un lawful:
To carry or have in his or her possession a firearm, unless unloaded
in both barrel and magazine; to shoot an air gun, gas gun, spring-loaded gun,
or slingshot; or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow, except
during established hunting seasons on lands designated open to hunting
under the authority of an order issued under sections 40107 and 40113a of
1994 PA 451, MCL 324.40107 and 324.40113a. This subdivision does not apply
to a target range or archery range officially established by the
department or to an officially sanctioned field trial. A person shall
not engage in target shooting, except on designated shooting ranges.

Leader
04-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Where did you find that?
It MUST be read in context with where it was printed.
If I'm not mistaken, that applies to State Parks & some Recreation areas.
Those places are posted.

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I had seen it some time ago when reading the laws. I had found it here while searching for the answers to my questions. I had asked the DNR, a lawyer, searched some law before, read posts on the subject, and got confused. Thats why I am here now. Last thing I want to do is to get into trouble thinking I was doing the right thing.

Leader
04-09-2011, 08:19 PM
There is no single answer that covers all land & every possible condition that the collective here can think up.
Where do you want to shoot?

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I am in northern oakland county, just off Dixie highway, very near to I-75. Theres a couple places with signs posted for "Public Hunting Areas", I see people parked along the side of the road, and in the small parking areas near the entrances all the time. I have seen and heard people hunting regularly.

The place Im interested in, is right off of Perryville road, about a mile from Dixie highway.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/shoot-1.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/stainless1911/area.jpg

stainless1911
04-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I was concerned about the backstop though, the area is pretty flat.

Leader
04-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Yes you would be legal to target shoot there.
You are responsible for your rounds & trash.
If you don't think it is safe to shoot there, don't do it.
If you do shoot there, pick up your used targets & shell casings when you leave.

stainless1911
04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
That's good to know. I really hate when people throw their crap all around messing up places like this. I reload, so I do make sure to get all my casings, in fact, I like to lay out a tarp to catch the brass.

Tyler
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I went shooting just yesterday, and picked up not only my brass, but all brass that I saw that wasn't from people who were there. I don't get how people could let it lay.

stainless1911
04-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Ive gotten hundreds of emptys that way, even traded some 9mm and .45 for some .40, as thats all I load for right now.

Hearse_driver
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
we need to get along lol

stainless1911
05-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah? Well, .40 is still better than 9mm.:mrgreen:

Quaamik
05-11-2011, 07:07 PM
If a plastic plug is good enough for a shotgun magazine tube wouldn't a plastic plug under the follower of a pistol or rifle magazine be just as legal?

This is what I plan on doing anyways for my pistol, should I need to use it to take an animal or put one down with my pistol.

I haven't found anything that says the modifications have to be permanent. What I found works well (and is cheap) is sections of dowel rod. This works for both pistol and rifle magazines.

Dissassemble the magazine, insert sections of dowel rod long enough to prevent the follower from depressing enough to load more than 5 rounds, re-assemble. Presto - limited capacity magazine for hunting.

A couple of hints for doing it:
- use either wire or zip ties to attach the dowels to the mag spring in three places, bottom of the spring, near the middle and as far up as possible. Make them loose enough on the down so they can slide a little, but tight enough (and far enough down the dowel) so they can't come off.
- use at least two dowels per magazine, one front and one in the back.
- cut the dowels a little long, limiting the mag to 4 rounds instead of 5. That way if something slips out of alignment you still can't fit more than 5 rounds and are still legal.
- use the largest diameter dowels you can find that fit in the magazine. The bigger they are, the less room to slip out of alignment.

Do not be suprised if a CO stops you and wants to inspect the gun / magazine.

Rasher
05-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Milk, its my understanding that-that would be perfectly legal.

Rasher
05-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Pick up a hunting guide, any place that sells lic. will have them, by letter of law-some one who isnt hunting doesnt have to wear orange, but you will get hassled and the DNR will go out of their way to find a reason to write you a ticket, remember they have the same "POWERS" as any other LEO in the state, and more if you run across a fed. FWO.