PDA

View Full Version : The bucks are rutting hard!!

protectionisamust
11-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I cannot wait to hit the woods this weekend with my stick and string to get some rut hunting in.

I have been getting reports of bucks running all over around the property and new bucks being seen every other day. Means they are starting to travel distance in search of love.

Hopefully I can rattle up one this weekend. I broke down and bought a buck bomb so we'll see if that has any effect. I will be taking with me a bottle of tinks 69, a can of buck bomb, my grunt call, doe bleat can, the rattling antlers and a wheel borrow to get all the stuff to my blind, lol

Hows the rutt'n report by you? The same?

Congrats on all the nice deer i've seen taken my our fellow MGOers.

Btw - 12 days till gun season. Got my tags in the mail today!!

Made_in_Michigan
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I personally know of 3 bucks being spotted between noon & 1 over the course of the last 2 days. Between the rut starting and the moon phases, all day hunts are on!

RSF
11-03-2010, 08:13 PM
yes chase phase of the rut is on...........

Ruger
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
It's a great time to be in the woods. I'm heading North this weekend.... Gonna chase some grouse and start getting my blind ready.

AdamFZ6
11-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I used Hunter's Specialties Doe Urine to get my 10pt. He came in snorting and stomping looking for his mate. Just sprayed about 5 squirts outside my blind, stinks like hell but it sure worked for me. Wal-Mart had it on clearance for about $4.00.

dpgperftest
11-03-2010, 08:48 PM
yes all be safe and have fun remember lots of pics.

jackle1886
11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
yes chase phase of the rut is on...........

What he said. Sunday Dad saw two bucks, and each one was chasing a doe around. I got new trail camera pics of bucks all times of the day, and there has been activity at some of the scrapes. The rut is here boys!

RPMO6
11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
LOL, I've got a friend (non-hunter) that moved out to the country (northern Oakland County) about two years ago from the city. At first, he and his wife didn't care for it much. Then slowly they've come around and now love it...well, that is until this year, when the bucks began rubbing the trees in his yard...he told me over this last weekend that he wants them dead (they used to think that they were such beautiful creatures). He asked me to shoot one and leave it where it falls as a warning to all the others!!! Gotta love the Pilgrims!

BullPup Adict
11-04-2010, 12:01 AM
My trail cam caught these two 4 pointers fighting last Monday night.

Hockey9019
11-04-2010, 04:43 AM
My trail cam caught these two 4 pointers fighting last Monday night.

Awe they're so cute giving head kisses to each other

sse
11-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Wonder what the four pointers are fighting over: who get's to get their *ss kicked by an eight pointer...? LOL

VisuTrac
11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
sitting at work today (walled lake) two does came hauling ***** out of the shrubs stopped right in front of the offices windows. stayed for about 3 minute then took off.

followed 20 seconds later by a frisky 4 point looking for luv.:prayer:

Sxynerd
11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
That's contrary to every hunter I've talked to this year. It's been the same story, that it's been a hard year and they think the DNR's money scheme has finally caught up with the deer population.

Post up your picks when you get them.

Joerockhead
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Wonder what the four pointers are fighting over: who get's to get their *ss kicked by an eight pointer...? LOL

Funny

Ha,,,, It's like .. you go first... nooo way I'm not gonna try it ... you try it...
No No way I tried it first last time... You try it......

dpgperftest
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Funny

Ha,,,, It's like .. you go first... nooo way I'm not gonna try it ... you try it...
No No way I tried it first last time... You try it......
The male/buck always talks the Doe in to crossing the road first :smoke: opps next :roll:

langenc
11-05-2010, 05:12 PM
My son and I have been in the woods quite a bit since Sunday (Oct 31) and I have yet to see any deer. He saw one by Lovells on Wednesday.

fr3db3ar
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
I usually see at least tails when I'm out squirrel hunting........not a single one yet this year. Did see a nice 6 point cross the road on Consumers power land.

XDcarry
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I have to agree with Sxynerd & langenc we are not seeing the deer we usually do. I live in Jackson County where the deer herd is supposed to be one of the largest in the state and we are seeing very few deer. I have 10 acres and have food plots planted plus I had about 5.5 acres in corn. The deer simply are not there. Last year and this year have been a bust. Years past we would see deer all the time. I would shine the field at night when I let the dog out and all you saw was eyeballs. Last year there were very few, this year since the corns been down only say deer one night. They should be in that field like crazy at night. I have bow hunted just about everyday and I am not seeing any deer. Up until 2009 we always say lots of deer.

Buzzcat
11-05-2010, 07:25 PM
ILast year and this year have been a bust. Years past we would see deer all the time. I would shine the field at night when I let the dog out and all you saw was eyeballs. Last year there were very few, .

You're witnessing evolution in action. They got smart, and they're getting smarter, especially in the heavily hunted and basically food-rich Southern Mich region. They know exactly when to forage and when to lay low, because they've learned to know when the heat's coming in terms of the annual hunt.

Meantime, the 'Yotes are chomping cats and poodles in Grosse Pointe, Novi, and other points outside of metro Detroit.

Who's hunting who? :wink:

Lizard_Lizard
11-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I have to say to the naysayers.........the last 2 years have been dismal at best. many outings with no deer in sight. This year i have seen on average from my stand 5 - 10 deer everytime. And most of all i have see more bcuks than i ever have. I am talking a 3 to 1 iratio in favor of the bucks.

I have only see a few spikes. the rest are 4 pointer - 10 pointers.
But I have to agree......they are educated. getting a shot is a huge challenge.
Move away from the cornfields and go to the hard woods with no bait.
Or simply go somewhere but where you normally hunt.

I wish everyone was seeing the activity I am. i just consider myself fortunate. I almost always have a hard time locating deer until now.

And they are definately in the chase phase right now.
Good luck all fellow MGO hunters. :twocents:

protectionisamust
11-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Finally getting ready to head for my stand in about 45 min. Lots of deer running around up here so hopefully a decent buck shows himself today.

Going to try and sit all day and even pack a sandwich.

It seems when we see 1 doe lately - she is with another 20 does with a buck following. They are starting to feed on the winter wheat pretty heavy now that the sugarbeet field next door has been removed.

Good Luck all

protectionisamust
11-08-2010, 06:10 AM
well, I woke up Saturday morning to a crisp cold morning and about 1.5" of snow. Got to my stand around 7:00am and to my suprise did not see anything until that last 30 min. of daylight. I had 8 does move in, the lead doe was under my stand at 2 yards and the other 7 was hung up on the field's edge. I did not want to shoot her because with so many does, I thought they would filter past and posibly a buck would be following. Well, she felt uneasy all of a sudden and then trotted back in the direction she came. Then a damn farm cat pops out of the bushes. hunt over

Because of the day light saving time, my alarm went off at 5:30 but it was actually 6:30 and I woke up to the sun cresting. I hurried up, got to my stand around 7:45. I saw 3 does filter past out in the field feeding, but no bucks. Then I saw 2 more does run our way from accross the road, but no bucks. I then had a small spike come by at 15 yards, but let him go. Then I had a 2nd spike come by on the same trail and let him go. Then about an hour later, I had 2 does go bolting by at 100mph. Then within 10 min. I had a 3rd spike come by with his nose to the ground grunting the whole way.

At our farm, we try to take only 6 pts or better or unless the 4 pt. has a huge body, then we'll shoot. We try and let the yearling spikes go to give them a chance to make it 1 more year, but I know next week, they are good as gone as the people next door come up shoot everything opening day weekend including fawns. We tend to stay away from the west side of our property because of the stray bullets flying across the field in our property's direction.

All in all, great hunt and got to see some more fun filled rutting activity,

Cannot wait to hit the woods next weekend for a couple days of somemore bowhunting before :sniper:

good luck all

bandit_ad22
11-08-2010, 07:02 AM
I've seen more deer this these last two years than ever. I don't know what happened over there coyotes? I'd be trapping to see if I can get some just in case.

took a doe the other weekend, but have been watching over 8 different spikes a 3 that is a foot off teh top of its head. at least 3 fours and a funky looking 5 or 6. tree camera has a few real nice ones but they are all at night.

Id rather take a good doe than a small buck. Would be nice to have that 50/50 mix of buck to does eventually.

il Padrino
11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Your not kidding, on the way to my favorite spot to hunt small game (rabbits , pheasants) the other day I saw a piebald buck which was at least 12 points ( possibly more like 14 -16 points) just prancing along side the road in broad daylight.

He looked out of place for southern Michigan, at first I thought it was an elk or reindeer, till I realized he was a piebald.

GregK
11-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Hunted this weekend in Van Buren County. Found a fresh scrape on the edge of the two track 20 yards from my ground blind! I quickly slipped into my blind, got my crossbow ready, & settled in.
It was a cold but nice morning with a light breeze from the south. About 8:45 I decided to hit my widow maker grunt call a few times. Exactly 5 minutes later I looked out my left window & saw a HUGE buck headed to the scrape.....then, he stopped! Standing broadside, his huge rack turning as he surveyed the area, & a mass of briars between his vitals & my arrow : (
Next from beside him a doe appeared & as she walked out in front of him, she turned to the left & guess what.......he followed her!! All she had to do was turn him to the right & if she had, I'd be posting the pics right now!!!

My dad was out too & watched a couple of bucks too, so they are moving & they are scraping, but we haven't seen the crazy/stupid behavior level of the rut yet.