PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Ohio

SIX29
02-18-2005, 01:07 PM
I just got off the phone with City Police of Toledo and the County Sherriff
for that county regarding CCW in a auto. First of all the guy in Toledo had no Idea of about how a traffic stop is handled and what is concealed or open carry. RE: don't get pulled over in Toledo.

The Deputy was of even less help. He told me that the weapon must be in plain few from the drivers and passenger side of the vehicle, and must be attached to your person. Now, seeing as how I am left handed, that eliminates all "strong side", becasuse it cannot be seen from the drivers or passenger side. Next, if I put it in a crossdraw position, the leo on the drivers side can't see it! The only solution is to strap it to the top of my thigh with a some velcro! The deputy was not impressed with this suggestion, either.

I was told that you MUST disclose to an officer if you are carrying.

Anyone had any experience with the Ohio CCW yet?

BigDaddy40
02-18-2005, 01:41 PM
get some double sided tape and attach it to your forehead while in the car.
you'll be in full compliance with the law 8)

G22
02-18-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.comp-tac.com/

See centerline holster style.

Unfortunately it only holds a kel-tec...
Fortunately (for me) I just got one!!

goldwing2000
02-18-2005, 05:21 PM
... and must be attached to your person.

So how closely attached?

Put it on the seat and tie it to your leg with a piece of string?

appliancebrad
02-18-2005, 07:12 PM
We live 5 miles from Ohio so Pam and I have paid close attention to what is going on in the Buckeye State.

In the car, your pistol needs to be on your person, in plain sight or in a locked container in plain sight. Your glovebox or console as long as it locks qualifies. Ohio LEO's are getting used to (grudgingly) the idea of mere mortal citizens carrying guns. In plain sight means not concealed. If you carry OWB or in a shoulder rig, take off your cover garment. If you carry IWB, tuck your shirt behind your gun. Make sure it stays there. The stuff about being able to see it from both sides is BS. Just have your firearm uncovered.

If you are stopped, you must immediately notify the officer. Do not touch your firearm. If you do, even brush it, it can mean an automatic felony. Notify and follow their instructions. Reports coming out of Ohio are that car stops have not been a big issue.

You need a locking container, period. There are so many CEZ's in Ohio that you will need to have a way to secure your pistol in your car. If you leave it in the car it must be in a locked container (you don't have to unload it) in plain sight. They call these "steal me" boxes. You can also lock it in the glove compartment or console. The other option is to unload it and put it in a container in the trunk. The ammo or magazine must be separate from the pistol. You can't just leave your pistol in the car with a passenger and run into someplace unless they have a CPL. If they don't you have to clear it and lock it in the trunk.

CEZ's are a big problem. You can't go into any government owned or operated building. That includes the restrooms on the freeways and the turnpike. Lots of businesses are posted. It is a crime to enter posted premises. Look carefully before you enter any business for a sign. Look behind the cash register as well, not all signs are on the door. You can't enter anyplace licensed to serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. Look for signs at the entrance to parking lots. If they lot is signed, you can't park there if you have a firearm. Not on you, not locked up. You need No Guns=No Money cards. I've given away more in Ohio since April than I have in 3 years in Michigan.

Go to www.OFCC.net and check out the Do Not Patronize While Armed list. Review the Ohio carry law. Stay out of Perrysburg. Their PD had signs printed and their officers visited every business in town and told them they "needed" to put them up. They were emphatic about it.

Good luck. It is possible to carry in Ohio but their law stinks. Still, they do now have "shall issue". It is getting better and they are working to fix the problems in their law.

Divegeek
02-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Brad is right. OFCC's website is great. They have compiled a huge list of places that ban carry, and they usually have at least one great story or article a day. They bend things to help them argue for Ohio, but most of their arguments apply to all the states.

For Ohio Carry, I use my normal IWB rig until I get in the car. Then I put on a cheap Uncle Mikes kydex paddle holster set up for cross-draw. I don't push it all the way around. I leave it so that it sits right over my front pocket. It is actually quite comfortable and much more accessible while sitting than my normal rig. I also use it for when I am driving for long periods of time. When I get out of the vehicle I just transfer the gun to my normal holster and remove the paddle.

I do have a lot of confidence that OFCC will get the elected morons in Columbus to change the law. I am willing to deal with a little stupidity, so that I can protect my wife, and my self while traveling in Ohio.

By the way, don't forget that Toledo also has a "Saturday Night Special" ban in place. Toledo's Prosecuter isn't sure if he can enforce it upon someone with a CCW, but he is just itching to try. Since they don't have a Pre-emption law, cities in Ohio can pass all kinds of weird stuff, but luckily few have.

SIX29
02-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I thought about getting one of those 24" "dog choke chains" and wearing my 1911 around my neck!

Divegeek
02-22-2005, 12:07 PM
As long as its in a holster on a chain around your neck I think you would be okay. :wink:

45 acp
02-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Mitch Rosen Holsters

Mitch Rosen Ohio Car Carry Rig.

This holster was requested by the People of Ohio to meet Ohio's CCW for vehicle carry.

http://www.holster-connection.com/mitch_rosen/holsters/mr_CCR&PRO.html

Divegeek
02-22-2005, 03:41 PM
That looks like a nice holster for car carry, although my Uncle Mikes was far cheaper.

G22
03-07-2005, 08:56 AM
The Ohio General Assembly has introduced a revision of the concealed carry law on Tuesday, March 1, 2005. It is H.B. No.91 http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/...fm?ID=126_HB_91
If the bill passes, it will eliminate the in plain sight while in a car and many more great revisions.

Divegeek
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
If that passes as is with no changes that would make Ohio like Alaska. No permit needed to carry, but if you want to get one for reciprocity reasons go right ahead. Not to mention that it fixes the plain sight BS in the car, and eliminates a ton of their CEZ's. I am afraid that it may be too broad reaching to get passed though.