PDA

View Full Version : CCW help

Scott B
02-20-2005, 12:31 AM
I wasn't able to renew my CCW last fall because of an injury!
Does anyone know If I have to take the class again.
Worst yet, I have moved into wayne county.

Thank You
Scott

LivoniaDan
02-20-2005, 12:34 AM
No need to retake class... just need a copy of your certificate that proves PA381 or newer.
You have to swear that you have had 3 hours of material review and one hour of range time within the last 6 months..

There is a 5 to 6 months wait from application to issuance.

(edit for clarity)

Scott B
02-20-2005, 12:43 AM
It expired Sept 04

LivoniaDan
02-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Doesn't matter.....

WhoIsJohnGalt
02-20-2005, 07:02 AM
Secretary of State CPL issue is the answer. The Partnership is working toward that goal. For more info on how you can help:
http://www.firearmsalliance.org/2005_legislative_goals.htm

Tallbear
02-20-2005, 08:56 AM
As I read the law, once your license has expired, it is no longer a renewal.

Your training cert. has no expiration, but must have the latest required "statement" on it. (Check with your instructor; they will "usually" change the wording for you.)

LivoniaDan
02-20-2005, 11:43 AM
hope you are wrong.... Mine expired ..... I submitted all things required...PA381 was on the certificate (older requirement) ...... Nothing was said.

And really what is the difference anyway......... there are no fewer steps at this point.

ultrarider
02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
hope you are wrong.... Mine expired ..... I submitted all things required...PA381 was on the certificate (older requirement) ...... Nothing was said.

And really what is the difference anyway......... there are no fewer steps at this point.

I think/hope what Tallbear is saying is that if you start the renewal process after your permit expires it's not considered a renewal. If you start the process before it expires, but it expires while in the system it's still considered a renewal. If not, there's probably 1000's of WaCo CPL holders that could be in trouble - myself included.

LivoniaDan
02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
That is what I meant.... Mine expired before I submitted paperwork to renew.....

Scott B
02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
I'll try it and see what they say.
That is if I can find the place in detriot.
I might need some armed help making a trip over there. LOL

Tallbear
02-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Wayne County gun board meets at Wayne County Community College on Fort. It's east of Trumbull and west on Joe Louis Arena. Room 123 at 9:30.

That's every second Tuesday of the month. I'll be the guy in the black leather jacket with an MGO hat on.

concerned
02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Mike,
Maybe I'll see you there.

Tallbear
02-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Glad to have the company.

PhotoTom
02-21-2005, 12:40 AM
I'll try it and see what they say.
That is if I can find the place in detriot.
I might need some armed help making a trip over there. LOL

Scott, to apply, you'll need the Clerk's office...

Coleman A. Young Municipal building (Jefferson and Woodward), room 201. Remember, you'll need two notorized letters that match your application references. Also, bring your old permit. You WON'T be able to carry inside the building...they have metal detectors at the doors.

The good news is...
Once you have your control number from the Clerk's office, you can just walk-in to WaCo. Sheriff's (Henry Ruff and Michigan Ave) Monday - Friday 8am - 2pm and get fingerprinted. You can call the appointment line, but you'll just be told to come in...

That cuts about 3 months off the WACO wait, eh? :wink:

BTW, if anyone is "scheduled" for a distant fingerprinting appointment...and you have a control number already...you don't have to wait anymore...!

concerned
02-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Remember, you'll need two notorized letters that match your application references.

Are you kidding me, Did the law change or something over the last year.
I never used a letter to get my CCW when I first got it.

I just wrote down 2 friends for my last ref's.

PhotoTom
02-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Remember, you'll need two notorized letters that match your application references.

Are you kidding me, Did the law change or something over the last year.
I never used a letter to get my CCW when I first got it.

I just wrote down 2 friends for my last ref's.

Sorry, no kidding...
Welcome to Wayne County...the letters have been required since 2001.

Tallbear
02-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Please read here..........

http://www.mgouc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=64375#64375

ultrarider
02-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Wayne County gun board meets at Wayne County Community College on Fort. It's east of Trumbull and west on Joe Louis Arena. Room 123 at 9:30.

That's every second Tuesday of the month. I'll be the guy in the black leather jacket with an MGO hat on.

I'm gonna try to make it there too, but if I can't, are you still taking the name check-list with you?

gjgalligan
02-21-2005, 01:42 PM
If you had the class already and your last permit was after July 1 of 01 why do you need to worry?
You just sign that you have reviewed the law changes (3 hrs I think) and have been to the range in the last 6 months.
Is there anywhere in the law that states renewal HAS to be before the expiration date?

PhotoTom
02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
License renewals are assigned the same license number as the orig., therefore, the previous license number must be referenced.

The required wording on the training certificate has changed slightly since 2001, but, anyone "renewing" on their previous training certificate is grandfathered in. If you come forward, applying for a CPL for the first time, yet took your training in 2001, the specific wording on the certificate may not be adequate now. As was previously stated, most trainers will "fix" the wording in light of this.

There are plenty of applications coming though at this point that are being handled as renewals, even though the previous license expired before the applicant applied for a renewal.

Going back to Scott's case, my perception of his situation is that he needs to go to the Clerk's office and submit a renewal application. If he has any problems due to the expiration, then I can see him going to the gun board meeting to speak directly with them about it. Sometime down the road, he may need to go to the gun board meeting to request a temporary permit...however, at this point, I suspect that the regular permit will come through before the 60 day qualification for a temp. kicks in. The Sheriff's office is turning the applications around quickly now...pretty much as soon as the MSP/FBI fingerprint search reports come back from the state. IF the Clerk's office is able to keep pace, there will be over 1000 approvals at the next gun board meeting...!

8)

Tallbear
02-21-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm gonna try to make it there too, but if I can't, are you still taking the name check-list with you?

Anyone wanting me to listen for your name, send it email or PM.......NOT on the boards here. I'll contact you after the meeting and let you know if your name was called.

Tallbear
03-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Everyone that was approved in Feb. should have their letter by now. Everyone that was approved in Mar. should have their letter by Apr. 4.

That's approx. 1600 in two months and "rumor has it" there are another 800 in April. Also, I was in Lansing today and MSP reported "NO" backlog in prints.

That will make it a 8 week process for anyone starting day...........start to finish. Not bad for Wayne County!!!!!

And it didn't cost Michigan Gun Owners members a dime.

sprink
03-25-2005, 08:04 PM
I was in Lansing today and MSP reported "NO" backlog in prints.

That is both great, and amazing. My prints from 12/30, took until 3/4 to clear the MSP. (Oakland county)

Tallbear
03-25-2005, 08:51 PM
They said they got an OK to hire temps to help with the backlog and they're now back down to two people doing it.

Sigman
03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Anyone have the FBI numbers to check on prints?

Tallbear
03-30-2005, 06:12 AM
Send me (via email) your name, when and where you were printed and I can tell you where you're at in the system. If your name hasn't been called yet (Wayne County) , I'll listen for it at the next gun board meeting.

Dave
04-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Ugh...........

I just read this thread. My cpl expired in September. Here I was thinking, after reading this, that I would be able to just re-new.

I forgot that I cleaned my wallet out a while back and destroyed what I thought was my now useless permit.

Looks like I will be starting from scratch.

Tallbear
04-05-2005, 07:15 AM
The only real difference is you will have to give them a copy of your CPL class certificate with your application.

Dave
04-05-2005, 09:30 AM
But if I am reading this correctly, wont I need my old cpl so they can have the number off it?

I am thinking I am going to have to re-take the training and apply as a new applicant. Is it possible for me to file for a renewal without my old card in my possesion?

Tallbear
04-05-2005, 09:43 AM
To 're-apply" without it being a renewal, you fill out the app. and submit your training cert. from the class you already took. Just make sure it has the "updated" info on the front ( " complies with ..........." ).

You do NOT have to go through the training again. You can if you want, but that's up to you.

Dave
04-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Sorry to sound dim witted and keep asking questions but I thought it was stipulated that the training had to be within 6 months of application. Did this change when the law changed?

What verbage does my training certificate need to contain to comply?

Thanks for the help.

Tallbear
04-05-2005, 11:20 AM
"This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372."

Training requirement has been completed and your cert. shows that. You may have to have your instructor change the wording is all.

PhotoTom
04-05-2005, 08:04 PM
But if I am reading this correctly, wont I need my old cpl so they can have the number off it?

I am thinking I am going to have to re-take the training and apply as a new applicant. Is it possible for me to file for a renewal without my old card in my possesion?

Yes, but...
It can be looked up in the county database (assuming you're in Wayne County) and/or in LEIN...just tell them it's a renewal and that you don't have your previous license anymore. As Mike said, take a copy of your training certificate, just in case.

8)

Dave
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys.

LivoniaDan
04-09-2005, 09:57 AM

That's every second Tuesday of the month. I'll be the guy in the black leather jacket with an MGO hat on. I want to try and be there but notice two different addresses on Fort when I search on the web. Is there a specific building or am I making too much of this? The meeting is on the 12th isn't it?

PhotoTom
04-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Yes, the next Gun Board Meeting is on April 12th, 9:30am.

If you're coming in off the Lodge (US-10), exit at the Howard St. exit and continue straight off the exit ramp (this will put you on 5th St.). 5th will take you right up to Fort in about 2 blocks. If you cross Fort you will be entering the WCCC parking lot and run right into the building doors that you need to go to.

Click Here For Map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&zoom=9&mapdata=OehTi%2bkPVgTKy7EMizJ 5Vn%2fexqLdpqoa8Y3ko2ziAysc6vWjGP8qFIsVVporhnd7oIA %2fXySfvcVVPaRmAlUfruXLDj0Da6y1J9ROAgk2rt3XZMuz%2f YANBCPHZz0qzz1hISJqfjH86pvBu%2f31qh5mYEYJT792n6a47 oxVanFPs%2f6aQ0R1KU1WHBi%2f58nt8Mm%2f2WJhg%2bCsMu5 OwxXxlrz3Dqzjcni%2fYarFJROd3M0MUIi%2bNC7hiYb%2fBfG ofsvx6R4eb9rfhLylDWnAMsd0IGee7XvI%2f%2fgmYpoTwHYxq cq4wsTsn29jRk8s%2fGN4h%2fuMIBIyG%2bJFUxTJPnUeHt%2b 9YkDjKjpePlr1aPHqquEibrb63Luh0WQZcq02kPgw7eMi17JMb r0appRbK9Itcc4VAV%2fdSEQwlF8toT%2fGJNpQpr8aJ%2frpI jtcgDKqIuoaWyH5KlsP%2fxngWhsNN1bqGS48GyMauGQUD1tbm 2NvuIfGWkVrJVj2nTh7Ey1bqIDL6rgMEsJ%2fcGvi1S%2fvWXB bYIp4ON%2b%2fSQ%3d%3d)