PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700

jdixon22
11-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Seen front page of Detroit News about Remington 700's unexpectedly firing without triggers being touch. Did a little checking around on-line and reading that some had accidental discharges when applying the safety or on bolt opening...

Is there a certain serial number range that this applies to? I just bought a brand new 700 SPS in .308Win and was wondering if Remington may have change design. Apparently, this first came out in the news around 2003. I have the X-Mark trigger, so not sure if that is it or not. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet so I cannot say one way or another. The article stated that there are new trigger parts that gunsmiths are installing to remedy the problem...

tote'ngranny
11-06-2010, 05:30 PM
There has been a rebutal from Remington to hear THEIR side.

musashi
11-06-2010, 05:57 PM
x-mark is a new design, even if there were a flaw you would not be effected.

Buzzcat
11-06-2010, 06:17 PM
End of day, whether the 700 is new or old, it appears that keeping the trigger group clean, sparkling and in good order is the way to sleep well at night.

Good advice for any gun, but in this case, it seems to be an absolute must.

pgaplayerless
11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
There has been a rebutal from Remington to hear THEIR side.

there is

http://www.remington700.tv/

foolsgold80z
11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
End of day, whether the 700 is new or old, it appears that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is the way to sleep well at night.

Good advice for any gun, but in this case, it seems to be an absolute must.

Fixed that for ya.:hick:

Buzzcat
11-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Fixed that for ya.:hick:

:lol:

Well yeah, but end of day, it's a hunting/sniping rifle, not a freaking mortar.

I have no experience with the 700, but doesn't matter.... as I said, from what I've seen the Walker trigger in every 700 might need some judicious cleaning along with precision oiling within the trigger group might remedy the situation (or possible situation).

And yes, pointing your gun downrange is absolutly a must. But if the thing happens to go off by itself even while pointed downrange, is it any safer?

I don't care where the damn thing is pointed, if it goes off without my finger on the trigger, I've got a problem with the gun.

tomarnold
11-13-2010, 01:20 AM
interesting

j_nosfarato
11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Any story from the major Pravada news agencies should be taken with a pound, not just a grain of salt. Any unintended discharge stories in the news in the receint weeks? Months? With the anti-gun bias being what it is it would make the national news. nothing.

Any prior military out there? What if any modifications have been made to the trigger group by the US military?

No doubt a FOIA was submitted to the FBI, U.S. Marshals Service, Secret Service, USMC, US Army, US Navy etc. to inquire as to the modifications that are made to their 700's.

I do recall that a similar story was run several years ago about the 700. I believe a wife shot her husband or vise versa and blamed the 700. The finding was that the trigger had been "modified" by the owner, to lighten the trigger pull, lightened down to about 6 oz!

If you don't like the 700 don't buy one. If you want to believe the major news media and what they say and ignore the MILLIONS of 700 owners, thats your choice, after all the news would never ever lie.

Roadie
11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
All I can say is that I know for a fact that this happened to me. Flipped off the safety, started to turn the bolt and BOOM. Shot my Ford Ranger. Thank God nobody was in the truck.

Gun was a 700 BDL in 7mm Mag, early 70's manufacture.

j_nosfarato
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
All I can say is that I know for a fact that this happened to me. Flipped off the safety, started to turn the bolt and BOOM. Shot my Ford Ranger. Thank God nobody was in the truck.

Gun was a 700 BDL in 7mm Mag, early 70's manufacture.

The $1,000,000.00 question... Did You contact Remmington? If so what did they say?

Roadie
11-13-2010, 05:39 PM
The $1,000,000.00 question... Did You contact Remmington? If so what did they say?
Here's the thread with the whole story, 4th post.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1038310#post1038310

j_nosfarato
11-13-2010, 08:21 PM
soooo............... no, you didn't contact Remington. If your father still owns the rifle, you should contact them, explain what happened and see if they will inspect/repair the rifle.

Now, don't take this the wrong way but how many times did it happen to your father? Your vindication might be delayed:poke:

j_nosfarato
11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
oops! Read the rest of the story.... Sorry about your fathers passing, too bad you can't find the rifle, that is your only means of vindication, verifiable that is.

Roadie
11-13-2010, 08:31 PM
oops! Read the rest of the story.... Sorry about your fathers passing, too bad you can't find the rifle, that is your only means of vindication, verifiable that is.

Whatever, Dude. I was there, and know what happened.

j_nosfarato
11-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Roadie, you misunderstood, for that I apalogize.

In 1972, you were, what? maybe 8 to 10 years old. We remember things when we were children but there is always a bit of a fog. You were not the person you are now, you knowledge of guns was no where near what it is now. What I am asking is was it possible that you placed your finger on the trigger? The weapon went bang and fear of your fathers reaction skewed your memory of what took place? Your memory of that incident was aquired as a scared child, not the rational adult that you are today.

I do not doubt that like me, your father taught you proper weapons handelling and what could happen when you don't " do as I taught you ".

I can say with confidence that the first thing you did after that BANG was not to look down to see where you finger was but to see where your father was!

But, all that is in the past.
No need to get upset over something that happened over 40 years ago. Don't buy a Remington 700, I am a fan of the weapon and find it solid and have trusted my life to it. I feel it was singled out due, not to any real issue but because it is the standard sniper rifle for so many government agencies. (Barrett and AI not withstanding).

Sorry to all for taking the thread off track.

Roadie
11-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Roadie, you misunderstood, for that I apalogize.

In 1972, you were, what? maybe 8 to 10 years old. We remember things when we were children but there is always a bit of a fog. You were not the person you are now, you knowledge of guns was no where near what it is now. What I am asking is was it possible that you placed your finger on the trigger? The weapon went bang and fear of your fathers reaction skewed your memory of what took place? Your memory of that incident was aquired as a scared child, not the rational adult that you are today.

I do not doubt that like me, your father taught you proper weapons handelling and what could happen when you don't " do as I taught you ".

I can say with confidence that the first thing you did after that BANG was not to look down to see where you finger was but to see where your father was!

But, all that is in the past.
No need to get upset over something that happened over 40 years ago. Don't buy a Remington 700, I am a fan of the weapon and find it solid and have trusted my life to it. I feel it was singled out due, not to any real issue but because it is the standard sniper rifle for so many government agencies. (Barrett and AI not withstanding).

Sorry to all for taking the thread off track.

Making a lot of assumptions here.

1 - I understood your post just fine

2 - How would you have any idea how old I was in 72?

I like 700's, too, and own two at the moment. Just sayin...

I stand by my original "Whatever, Dude".

1wrx7
11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
While enjoying a short holiday for thanksgiving I DVR'ed an hour long special on TV about the "Remington moment". Since I don't own one myself I can't really comment, but several friends of mine do, so I've been telling them about the show.

I've always had a high respect for the 700 for obvious reasons.... it's a great rifle. The documentary shows both military and private citizens experiencing accidental discharge, as well as the designers concerns on the safety system. The show also gave a stat of about 1% of 700's experience this type of failure and that it's caused by the user. Since we're talking about a machine, they can all have design flaws, and they can all be neglected by the user.

I just hope all of us here remember all of the firearms safety rules... finger off the trigger, pointed in a safe direction...ect. Let's not give the anti gunners any more ammo

Roadie
11-28-2010, 11:10 PM
While enjoying a short holiday for thanksgiving I DVR'ed an hour long special on TV about the "Remington moment". Since I don't own one myself I can't really comment, but several friends of mine do, so I've been telling them about the show.

I've always had a high respect for the 700 for obvious reasons.... it's a great rifle. The documentary shows both military and private citizens experiencing accidental discharge, as well as the designers concerns on the safety system. The show also gave a stat of about 1% of 700's experience this type of failure and that it's caused by the user. Since we're talking about a machine, they can all have design flaws, and they can all be neglected by the user.

I just hope all of us here remember all of the firearms safety rules... finger off the trigger, pointed in a safe direction...ect. Let's not give the anti gunners any more ammo

Sticking with "Whatever" Dude

HoldHard
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM

The show was put together by the biggest anti-gun media on the planet. CNBC is the red-headed step child of NBC. Remember them? They are the ones that planted explosives in a pickup truck, blew it up and claimed that the gas tank location was a design flaw. And you want me to believe anything that they come up with? Please.....

None, I repeat NONE of the rifles in that program have been submitted to Remington for inspection. Were the fire control parts modified? Guess we'll never know, will we?

Look, I don't even have a dog in this fight. I don't own a 700 and never have, but when the news media show up uninvited with a camera crew and basically ambush the 80-something year old designer of the trigger and try and hold him responsible, that is just wrong.

Don't be one of those people that believe everything that goes across the boob-tube. Remington has offered an improved trigger that has a cross block safety in their newer rifles. They have even offered a retro-fit for the 700 to correct the perceived problem, but it is at the customer's expense.

The bottom line is that CNBC wants to run Remington out of business. That was clearly their objective and the couch-potato idiots are helping them accomplish that. They even state that fact saying to correct every 700 ever made would cost more than the company is worth. Gee, that was subtle....

Do you really want another American company to go down the drain? Especially one that makes highly accurate, long range weapons? Think about it.

I'll tell you what. You give me a weapon and with enough time and tools, a couple of buddies and I can make it malfunction and more than likely fire without pulling the trigger. Just don't expect me to give it back to the manufacturer for inspection, or even a qualified gunsmith. They would be able to find out what I did to it.

HH

D Hags
11-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I have had a 700 in 7mm Mag since 1975. Never had a problem with it - ever! Watched the show, was mildly skeptic and decided that my 700 has been perfect since 1975. I then went to work the next day and had a discussion with several hunters. ALL five had problems at one time or another. Generally, the problems happened out west while hunting after riding a horse with the 700 in a scabbard (ap?). Their answer to the problem was to purchase a Timney trigger. Each bought a new trigger at various times and never had another problem. I installed one also after that discussion. No problems since, but never had one previously. The trigger had never been touched.

costanza
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Bottom line-the rifle is a defective design and Remington covered it up, even started safety protocols to divert attention away from the defect. Heck, the malfunctions are even on film. I don't care where they are located-they deserve to be sued for their knowingly making a defective, sometimes deadly product. I'm sellin' mine, along with my Ford Pinto that has Firestone 500 radials on it!

Jackam
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
-they deserve to be sued for their knowingly making a defective, sometimes deadly product. I'm sellin' mine, along with my Ford Pinto that has Firestone 500 radials on it!

Just don't buy a Toyota.

foolsgold80z
12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Bottom line-the rifle is a defective design and Remington covered it up, even started safety protocols to divert attention away from the defect. Heck, the malfunctions are even on film. I don't care where they are located-they deserve to be sued for their knowingly making a defective, sometimes deadly product. I'm sellin' mine, along with my Ford Pinto that has Firestone 500 radials on it!

Easy there big fella. Remington employs a lot of people and makes a lot of fine products.
There is no reason to so zealously seek the companies demise. Perhaps there are or were
individuals within the company who are responsible for the defect and even a conspiracy
to conceal it. If that can be proven then those INDIVIDUALS should be held responsible for
their actions, not the entire company and the people and communities that rely on it for
their living.

drewyork
10-06-2011, 06:27 AM
There are 3 Guns that I feel I need and this is one of them.

Glock 9mm
AR15
Remington 700

Roderick1
10-20-2011, 11:53 PM
The 700 SPS is a much better gun than the 770 in my opinion. You will be happy if you get an SPS, with one caveat. That being the stock. This is where Remington cut corners. Most people that get the SPS end up replacing the factory stock with a better made aftermarket product.

However if you are talking about a standard barrel weight .308 SPS then I think the factory stock will work out for you. If you are asking about the SPS Tactical / Varmint model then you most likely will not be happy with the factory stock.