PDA

View Full Version : Lots of pincushions this year...

Phelptwan
11-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Has anybody else noticed a disturbing number of pincushions walking around this year? I had a friend stick and arrow in ones shoulder blade, and I've seen two walking around with either broken off arrows or bolts sticking out of shoulders, and the guy who owns the land I hunt on has seen another buck with an arrow sticking out of its ass.

TomE
11-11-2010, 08:47 AM
I have two friends quit bow hunting this year because of the pincushion effect , at least they won't wound any more deer ,for now .

Tophe
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I haven't seen any like that, but that does piss me off. If you cant shoot consistent groups at 20-30 yards, and aren't willing to put in the work to be a skillful bowhunter, then just stay out of the woods.

I understand that stuff is gonna happen even to the guys who put in the work, and thats acceptable.

I hunted when I was a kid some, but never really had any luck. The last 4 years I've gotten back into it, and I can say that I am 4 for 4 with my bow. Hell, I am more confident with my bow than I am with my shotgun! I'll take a 30 yd bow shot over a 100 yd shot with my shotgun any day!

UPpatriot
11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I think some people think that their darn near shooting a rifle with the new crossbows, but fact is a deer can move a lot between the trigger pull and the bolt hitting it's target. True with all bows too.

jimbojr
11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I feel bad for the deer. Sorry to say but was tought to kill humainly if their is such a thing.

aquatic-archer
11-11-2010, 11:54 PM
HAVEN'T SEEN ANY, BUT HEARD SEVERAL GUYS BEFORE SEASON AT THE ARCHERY SHOP TALKING LIKE THERE CROSS-BOW WAS GOING TO SHOOT LIKE A GUN. WHEN TRIED TO EXPLAIN TO THEM ABOUT A BOLT BEING LIGHT AND NOT RETAINING ENERGY THEY ACTED LIKE I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, AND I'VE ALREADY TAKEN TWO DEER THIS SEASON WITH MINE.

RSF
11-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Killed one at 55 yards complete pass through with my xbow....

mikethepike
11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Alot of these are just plain and simple lazy and poor shots. If you plan on taking an animals life, make sure you have the decency to follow up with your shot and make a humane kill.

Most days when you can , take your bow out and practice, practice PRACTICE!! :fur3: It only takes a few minutes to perfect your shot but a lifetime to relenquish the bad rap we get as sportsman from the anti's

sbowhuntr
11-14-2010, 02:05 PM
The ones I hear about are mostly from guys that practice shooting their bows and seem to be a good shot, at a target at least but when it comes down to shooting game buck or deer fever take over and they forget all that was learned at the range and more often than not it is caused from a "rushed" shot. They seem to forget about good shooting form and patience when the shot presents itself.. Another factor is most people practice from the ground and when season is here they climb 20 feet in a tree and forget about angle and good shooting form... I always try to remember everything I learn from practice shooting out of my stand 20 feet up and take that to the woods.. Patience, good form and knowing what you are capable of is essential..........

jcurtis
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Out of the several hundred deer i have observed this year I have yet to see any deer with damage from arrows or bolts this year.

Johnnie Nepal
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about 16 & Pregnant or something along those lines. I now see we have totally different meanings for the term "Pincushions".

Recon
12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
theres no worse feeling then loosing a deer to a bad shot, i hit a doe in the guts 3 days into archery and am still upset about it just a bad shot on my part she was maybe 15 yards and i just messed up plain and simple.
it sucks but it does happen even with a rifle its part of life, but practice practice practice!