PDA

View Full Version : AK and SKS where to shoot?

AKslinger
03-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I've really been wanting to take my AK and SKS for a drive, but acoring to bass pro, I can't shoot there because Wolf ammo sticks to a magnet.

I know I can shoot at the DNR state ranges. but where else? (somewhere I dont have to be a member)

goldwing2000
03-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Top Gun, maybe?

GMAN12
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Top Gun checks ammo with a magnet, also

lee
03-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Simply purchase non steel core ammo such as winchester or umc. I know its comparatively expensive to wolf but they will let you use it at ranges such as top gun . Island lake is still open and its nice weather right now. Hope that helps

AKslinger
03-05-2005, 07:24 PM
yeah, that UMC 7.62 is way to much. I dont need to shoot that bad. Heck, at the sliverdome gunshow I got 500 rds of wolf for 45.00 thats less than 2.50 a box. Dunhams also has it on sale pretty regular. As far as I'm concerned, it shoots the same.

Yep, I think a trip to island lake is in order.

where is top gun?

GMAN12
03-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Wolf in the yellow box is not bi-metal jacket, it is pure copper. Check on www.warrifles.com Wolf Ammo man has some for around $69 shipped per 1000. By the way, Wolf doesn't and never did make steel core, They mix tin with the copper to make the copper cheaper, that's why the magnet sticks.

paddy
03-06-2005, 10:34 AM
They mix tin with the copper to make the copper cheaper, that's why the magnet sticks.

But tin and copper are not magnetic even when alloyed together.
If they are attracted to a magnet, then they have to have Iron, cobalt or nickel content.

AKslinger
03-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Outdoor world didnt give me any more explaination than, "if it sticks to a magnet, you can't shoot it here". That was it. No reason why. The only alternative was to buy UMC ammo there.

Is it because the ammo could penetrate the back wall? what gives with the magnetic rounds? :?

ultrarider
03-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Outdoor world didnt give me any more explaination than, "if it sticks to a magnet, you can't shoot it here". That was it. No reason why. The only alternative was to buy UMC ammo there.

Is it because the ammo could penetrate the back wall? what gives with the magnetic rounds? :?

Last year The Firing Line had a sign posted that read "no Wolf ammo" - when I asked why, I was told that someone had a casing explode on them so they decided to ban all Wolf ammo. It was around that time-frame that most all ranges adopted the same practice. I doubt that that's the real reason for the ban. I think it has to do with whoever buys all the spent casings doesn't want to be bothered sorting 'em out.

Ken Cooper
03-06-2005, 02:00 PM
I think it has to do with whoever buys all the spent casings doesn't want to be bothered sorting 'em out.

Depending on the range rules I would guess. Most responsible folks pick up their brass when done shooting. For those who don't want their brass and shoot wolf ammo, provide a "wolf ammo" can, in addition to the brass can.