PDA

View Full Version : Glock should build an equvalent to the P-3AT

J 92 Brigadier
03-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT because my Glock 30 and Springfield XD-9 are far too big and cumbersome in comparison. I don't like the idea of putting on a vest or wearing my shirt outside my pants in order to carry. Carrying IWB with these has never really been comfortable even with expensive, high quality holsters. I only do so when I have to. 99.9% of the time, I slip the Kel-Tec and pocket holster in my back or front pocket and go.

The P-3AT is not nearly as reliable as my other guns, but it's better than nothing. The hammer spring broke off and fell on the bedroom floor as I was taking it out of my pocket. The finish could be better and many people have complained how their P-3AT's feed. The Kel-Tec Owner's group website has many postings about reworking the gun to make it feed more reliably. Mine feeds OK, but the point is I would like to encourage Glock to design and build something comparable in size and weight to the P-3AT for those of us who want something small, very light and reliable. Other small guns are not light in weight. We need a Mini-Glock .380 at 10oz or less about the same dimensions at the P-3AT. Glock could and should charge substantially more, say about $399 list. Give us the Tenifer finish and Glock quality, reliability and we will buy it. The Kel-Tec is the right idea, but they fall short on delivering the right product.

RealityCheck
03-06-2005, 04:34 PM
J 92 Brigadier, What you are asking for already exists, but it's not a Glock. Why don't you take a look at the Kahr PM9. I have carried one ever since it was introduced and I love it. It's construction is of a very high quality, and it has one of the smoothest D/A trigger pulls you can get from a factory carry pistol.

I only shoot factory ammo and have put several thousand rounds through this pistol without a stopage. I carry it in my front pocket in a Fist #5 Kydex pocket holster. The holster is very thin & light, the PM9 only weighs about 17 ozs., and it likes 9mm +p Federal Hydra-Shoks just fine. It's such a nice carry piece that a person can almost forget he is carrying it.

If you like more firepower in a small carry pistol, Kahr makes a .40 (PM40) that is virtually the same size as the PM9, and it's only a oz. more in weight. I can't speak to the recoil of a .40 in this size pistol, but I intend to shoot one just as soon as I can find a friend or rental that has one. If I find the recoil acceptable, I will replace my PM9 with the PM40.

I don't want this post to sound like an Ad for Kahr, but I believe that manufactures who make quality products at a reasonable price, and then stand behind them, should be recognized & supported. I know there are others that surf these boards who carry the PM9 and will back up what I have said here.

J 92 Brigadier
03-06-2005, 04:49 PM
RealityCheck,

I compared the specs on both the Kahr PM9 and the Kel-Tec P-3AT and found that dimensionally they are close enough, so the Kahr should fit in my back pocket. The Kahr weighs about twice as much so the Kel-Tec beats it for front pocket carry. Like you said, the Kahr PM9 is certainly worth taking a look.