PDA

View Full Version : An interesting scenario...

wdahm519
11-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Alright guys,

This has racked my brain and I've kind of figured it all out but I still need help. So, here's whats going on:

My parents (who live in Arizona as of recently), want to buy me a revolver for Christmas. I am currently 20 years old, and turn 21 in May.

My father would purchase the pistol online or locally in AZ, and hold it under his name until I arrive down there.

I can bring my TDHPP form to Arizona so my Dad and I can sign the paperwork. Then I can return home with the pistol like I "bought" it from him through Private Sale.

The only thing I don't know is how I can get the pistol back to MI if I'm flying.

Please help me out guys,

Werner.

Buzzcat
11-13-2010, 03:32 PM
The only thing I don't know is how I can get the pistol back to MI if I'm flying.

What's a "TDHPP"?

Nevertheless, make sure you're actually 21 before you lay hands on the gun.

wdahm519
11-13-2010, 03:35 PM
What's a "TDHPP"?

Nevertheless, it shouldn't be much of a prob, as long as you have the proper paperwork for the airline/TSA. Check the airline of choice's website for details.

Alternatively, you could just ship it UPS or FedEx to the FFL of your choice.

No matter what you do, make sure you're actually 21 when you lay hands on the gun.

Well, that's the whole point. I'll be getting it now instead of in 6 months when I turn 21. I'm legally allowed to own the handgun purchased from a private seller (aka. my father in AZ) as long as I'm over 18, which I am. I'm also allowed to own the handgun in Arizona so I'm not breaking any laws.

The TDHPP form is the Ten Day Handgun Private Purchase form which I obtain from my local PD.

MrBi11
11-13-2010, 03:44 PM
An out of state handgun purchase (or gifting) must go through a FFL.

Only way would be for the transfer to go to another person (over 21 that the FFL dealer can transfer to)
then sold to you, trouble is that comes close to a straw purchase.

Now, if an uncle (aunt, sister...) bought the firearm for you as a gift, this transaction would be acceptable by law IMO, but IANAL

you'll still need to get a purchase permit from your local police station.

Buzzcat
11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
The TDHPP form is the Ten Day Handgun Private Purchase form which I obtain from my local PD.

:freak:

That's the first time I've ever seen a PP drawn out to a five letter acronym.

East Lansing calls it a TDHPP?

Just wondering....

wdahm519
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
An out of state handgun purchase (or gifting) must go through a FFL.

Can you elaborate a little on this please?

So, according to your information, the PP form only works for In-State private purchases?

Does anyone else have any other ideas? Maybe it would just be easier to do this when my father happens to fly back to MI for something, and he can purchase the handgun like normal and then gift it to myself?

By the by, I got the TDHPP form acronym from a page online written by a Michigan Handgun Instructor. I've lived in MI all my life.

MrBi11
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
see my edit...

federal law mandates that interstate transfers of a handgun are required to go through an FFL, and a FFL can't sell to anyone under 21

your father bringing it back wouldn't matter there is still an interstate transfer being done as he brought it from another state.

who dat
11-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Can you elaborate a little on this please?

So, according to your information, the PP form only works for In-State private purchases? Yes, although it stands for Purchase Permit and works for FFL purchases as well as private.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? Maybe it would just be easier to do this when my father happens to fly back to MI for something, and he can purchase the handgun like normal and then gift it to myself?If he's not a resident of Michigan, this has to go through an FFL

By the by, I got the TDHPP form acronym from a page online written by a Michigan Handgun Instructor.Not the first bad info from an instructor.

I've lived in MI all my life.

Wait until you are 21 and it will be easy. He can buy it and send it to you through an FFL.

Buzzcat
11-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Wait until you are 21 and it will be easy. He can buy it and send it to you through an FFL.

:yeahthat:

End of story.

opr1945
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I suppose it is nice to go to Arizona and go shopping with your dad. Why not do that and pick out what you want. But wait until you are 21 and have him send the money to a store in Michigan and you go in and purchase it.

If you can't wait perhaps are local relative could buy a gun here and then decide to gift it. Your dad could make a donation.

In your situation it seems to me that buying the gun in arizona is potentially more trouble than figuring out how to do it locally

11-19-2010, 05:11 PM
"By the by, I got the TDHPP form acronym from a page online written by a Michigan Handgun Instructor. I've lived in MI all my life."

I like it & we should use it. We should go back to 'CCW', too.

Always remember who gave you that pistola & never,ever, sell it.