PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Smith & Wesson BODYGUARD 380

Eric D
11-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Review of the Smith & Wesson BODYGUARD

I wanted a .380 pistol for concealed carry when my full size doesn’t quite fit the situation and as a backup. After looking at a number of pistols, trying all their features, I narrowed my search down. I kept going back to two that seemed to fit my larger than normal hands yet maintained the ultra-compact silhouette. My focus fell on the SIG Sauer P238 and the Smith & Wesson BODYGUARD. My third runner-up was the Beretta Tomcat in .32 cal, but I really wanted to stick with the .380.

One more major consideration for me, I’m a lefty, so, pistols with ambidexteritous features are a plus. Those that don’t have both left and right features should at least allow a way for a lefty to use his/her index finger in place of the thumb for things like the safety, slide and magazine release. I could manipulate both the Sauer P238 and the BODYGUARD without too much difficulty, but the BODYGUARD fit my hand better, even though it is smaller than the P238.

The SIG Sauer P238 runs a little over a $100 more than the BODYGUARD, but comes with some nice features, like night sights and you can get it in two tones, stainless, titanium and your basic black. There are even models with gold inlay work if you like that type of thing. Of course the gold versions run almost $100 more. The P238 is much like a miniature 1911 in function and has a nice trigger feel. If I had been a right handed person I may have gone with the P238.

I ended up buying the Smith & Wesson BODYGUARD. It came in basic black finish. The BODYGUARD has a built in laser sight. There is a switch for your index finger in front of the trigger guard. One push will turn it on, 2nd push switches the laser into flash mode and on the third press of the switch it turns off. If you should forget to turn the laser off, it automatically does after about 6 minutes. There are two small lithium batters that power the laser. To change the batteries the gun slide has to be removed and a screw has to be removed to access them. The laser works well, however, this is my first gun with a laser and I’m not sure if I like it or not. I find myself doing better with the laser off and just using the iron sights. The iron sights are small but very useable and accurate.

The box contains the BODYGUARD, 6 round magazine, gun lock, a day planer style zipper case that holds the gun, and a place for a number of magazines. Very small, compact and well padded. It also included a bottom plate for the magazine without the finger lip, most likely would fit a smaller hand. Of course the user manual and a few other papers as well. I asked to purchase a second magazine, but found the store I purchased from didn’t have any. They told me they are in short supply and it might be a while before they would have them. According to a number of posting on the S&W website forum, it may be a while before the magazines are available.

At the range I was pleasantly surprised. At 25 feet I could keep it in a 3 inch circle. This was after missing the target trying to use the laser for the first time. It wasn’t an issue with the laser but the new guy trying to use it. I turned it off and put 30 rounds through it with the iron sights. I then switched back to the laser and did better, but not as well as with bare sights.

This is the ONLY thing that I’m not that happy with on this gun. I found it difficult to become comfortable with this trigger. In fact, I'm still not all that comfortable with it. It's a double action all the time. For each and every shot the hammer starts from the forward position and as you start to pull the trigger the hammer moves all the way back and at the last bit of movement aft the hammer drops setting the round off. It takes a higher than expected force and the trigger travel seem like too much for this little gun. I put a total of about 80 rounds through it. It worked perfect for every round and I started doing better with the trigger. I’m hoping with more rounds though this gun that the trigger gets a little smother. I’ll update this once I get a few more rounds through the barrel.

For this size gun the grip is exceptional! It seems to nestle into your hand and become part of it. It does this well in both the left and the right hand. The bottom of the magazine comes with a finger lip plate that can be changed out with a flat bottom plate. For me, the lipped plate fits my hand best. How well this pistol fits my hand is one of the features I like best.

I would recommend this pistol even though the double action trigger isn’t as smooth as I would like. The functionality in this ultra-compact is exceptional. Recoil force is low and easy to put back on target. I’ll continue to update this review as I get more time on this pistol. It you are looking for this type of pistol I would suggest giving this one a closer look.

Eric D
11-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Few more Photos

Eric D
11-14-2010, 11:33 PM
The Last Photos

MLG
11-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Great review!

Thanks for taking the time and effort that it took to post it!

:thup:

MountainDreamer
11-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Hello Eric,

As the above, thanks for the well written, detailed review. And the pic's.

Please do keep us posted as to your thoughts on its shootability.

Lots of us that have other .380's looking at this gun, but looking for reviews like yours to get a better idea of what the guns like before popping $500 for another BUG.

With the laser, try holding the pistol down more in a point and shoot, and don't look at the gun, just the laser dot on the target. Try holding it two hands with the weak hand thumb gently pressing on the frame just below the slide to offset the pull of your trigger finger. Also try using only the first 1/4 to 2/3rds of your trigger finger pad and try to pull straight back; this allows the use of the first two finger joints to pull straight back and not the hand to finger joint. Some like to go into the first finger joint with the the trigger pull, and this always seems to pull left of right with the smaller mouse guns.
Also as with all double action only pistols, try to get use to pulling the trigger back to almost dropping the hammer to aim and then finish the pull.

I know, some basic stuff, but you never know, it may be helpful.

Mike

Eric D
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
MLG & Mike,

Thanks for the feedback! :smile:

Mike thanks for your suggestions on the laser shooting. I’ll give that a try the next time I’m at the range.

I found your comment on the double action trigger pull interesting. Actually what you described is how I was shooting. I guess I should have read the manual before going to the range as S&W warns you NOT to shoot by bring the trigger back as you described and then finish the pull. They want you to do it in all one movement. When I have some time I can verbatim the manual if there is an interest. The just of it is if you decide not to finish the full trigger pull and release the trigger you may leave the gun in an unsafe condition. I need to get one of the .380 snap caps rounds so I can play with the trigger some to validate if this is true or not. That will be one of the updates here.

Thanks again!

MountainDreamer
11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Hello Eric,

Thanks for the reply. My thoughts on the trigger pull are that you were mentioning you were at the range, so my mention of the trigger pull were in reference to shot placement at the range with your pistol pointing down range. Also with my mention of the trigger pull, it was for the range and more careful shot placement, not self defense shooting.

I recently shot a feral cat that had killed one of my wife's pet cats at about 50' at a full out run through some trees with my KelTec .380 using the pull I mentioned.

I don't know if you have ever been in a robbery situation where you have had to pull a gun, but I can tell you that it is all about being calm, prepared and the first one to have their gun pointed in the right direction. You have just the right gun for that with the .380 pocket type of carry gun.

Be safe,
Mike

chewy
11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Great post. Thanks.

Now someone buy my bodyguard!! :)

mikeb32
11-15-2010, 06:18 PM
:yeahthat: Very well written

Toledo Kid
11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Good Review!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

JGrant
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Great post. Thanks.

Now someone buy my bodyguard!! :)
:yeahthat: so he can finally shut-up about it.:roll:

Thanks for the post and review.

rabear
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM
That was a great review on the 380.

Last Thursday my son and I both got our Bodyguard 380's. We drove strait from the dealer to Mill creek in Dexter to put a few rounds through them. Like 500 rounds.
The ammo was mostly Lellier & Bellot FMJ 92Gr and Corbon DPX 80Gr
The first thing I noticed was the stiff trigger. But after the first 100 rounds through the gun it started to break in. And after 200 rounds the trigger is now what I would call pleasant.
This little bugger was very accurate and I love the way it feels. And after shooting all those rounds, no sore hands.

The visual effect from the Corbon ammo was stunning. If I would miss my target, I sure as heck would blind him (as well as myself). The flames went out a couple of feet from the barrel. My son was laughing very hard as it looked like 4th of July fireworks.

Since then we put snap caps in the chamber and dry fired for maybe another 1000 rounds. This baby is real smooth now.

S&W has a real winner here and am not at all sorry we went that route.

My normal carry piece is either a SP101 .357 or a SW99 45ACP. Both great guns. The 380 is a great addition and backup and will become a primary carry when small matters.

karcent
11-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Nice write-up.
I agree that the Bodyguard 380 is well designed..........except for the laser.
The ones that I have handled have been very difficult to impossible to activate with the trigger finger.
I would much prefer a CT style laser with instinctive activation or no laser at all.
Aside from that, it's a winner.

Eric D
11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Rabear, Thanks for your input. Like you have found, the more rounds through my BG380 the better the trigger feels. It's still a long pull, but the pull has become smoother.

Karcent, I believe S&W fixed the laser switch on the later models. Mine turns on VERY ease. Just a light tap on the switch and it is on. My serial number starts with EAE. If yours is less then this s/n you might want to get with S&W tech support to see about having it upgraded.

Some of the early models also had issues with the take-down lever falling out. Not a good thing to have happen. Mine has a pretty heavy spring holding it in and it isn't that easy to remove. I understand this wasn't the case on the first of the BG380's. The S&W forum has a number of folks that have sent theirs back to have them corrected with the later fix.

I really like my BG380. I have about 300 rounds through it and zero issues.

rabear
11-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I really do not have any problem with the laser activation. All done with my trigger finger.

Now fas for having a laser in the first place did not sway me oone way or the other. I bought it for gun itself first and foremost. I probably will hardly ever use it.

rabear
11-24-2010, 03:43 PM
That trigger will get easier yet. Like I said we put 500 rounds through both of them and dry fired a 1000 times or so with snap caps.

I agree with you Eric on the laser activation switch. My serial number starts with EAE also and there are raised rings around the switch so it does not get activated while in your pocket. Maybe the laser issue is with earlier units only. I find it very easy to use.

The take down lever is very stiff and cannot imagine it ever coming apart on its own.

And I am pretty impressed as to the accuracy of such a small gun. Of couse that is only after getting the trigger to break in.

tote'ngranny
11-25-2010, 03:13 PM
What I have been saying about this gun since I bought mine last August.

Make sure that the SN is EAB or higher. EAA's have the problem where the take down pin will walk out while firing. The EAB's and follow ups have the new redesigned frame addressing the issue.

Eric D
11-25-2010, 08:28 PM
What I have been saying about this gun since I bought mine last August.

Make sure that the SN is EAB or higher. EAA's have the problem where the take down pin will walk out while firing. The EAB's and follow ups have the new redesigned frame addressing the issue.Having had yours since August, do you still like it? How is your laser switchs? Are they easy to turn on?

Thanks for the input on the serial numbers.

tote'ngranny
11-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Absolutely! As for the laser... a member on a site devoted to the BG.380 came up with the idea of using a tiny piece of a plastic Qtip snipped off just just enough to fit over the inside grommet nub to support it better. This made activation much easier. He also suggested that the ends be *rounded off* by heating the rims so that repeated usage won't wear through the grommet and also into the interior wall. The main reason that laser activation has been an issue is because of the activation nub being too soft and having too big of a gap allowing the nub to fall off to one side. I am hoping that S&W will make the modifacation to improve the grommet. Making the tube a wee too long .. activation is too easy.

More importantly.. the BG.380 shoots great, from reports of others who have owned many makes of .380's the BG.380 just beats them all with reliability and less recoil.

Eric D
11-25-2010, 11:35 PM
I suspect that S&W did exactly as you had hoped with modifications to the laser switch. I have read of others that complained about the function of the switch. My later s/n does not exhibit any of the reported issues.

I agree with how well it shoots.

I’m glad to hear you enjoy your BG380!

tote'ngranny
11-26-2010, 09:15 AM
They have not modified the rubber grommet to date. The center nub is still too weak with too much of a gap around it allowing the nub to fall off to one side... thus not directly into the center of the activation area.

Funk55
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I bought a 380 Bodyguard also. I love the way it fits in my hand, the only dilike is the trigger. It is difficult to get used to. On a couple of occasions, I didn't think I was going to be able to fully pull the trigger.
I must say the gun was accurate and recoil was mild. The fit and finish was good and the laser was dead on a 20 yds.

Morfeeus
12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Very nice review. I just bought a new pistol yesterday and this was one I was looking at. I want a .380 for a pocket carry, but I haven't recieved my CPL yet so I went with a 9mm for now for a range gun and will def get a BG380 when I finally get my permit. Thanks again for the great review!

snapshotdod
12-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Anyone who owns this, do you know where to get more mags!? there backordered everywhere

ponchobro
12-30-2010, 05:00 AM
smith-wesson.com

jeff248
01-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Great forum website devoted to the Bodyguard 380 at www.bodyguard380.com. There is a thread there about additional magazines.

Knightrider03m
01-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Buds is selling the .380s to LEO for $289 I believe. Good price IMO

buckpula
01-03-2011, 04:05 AM
I bought one a few weeks back, the trigger is long but I still like it. As stated in op my laser on the right side is very hard to activate left side is easy but I don't plan on using except teasing the cats :-)

Eric D
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Anyone who owns this, do you know where to get more mags!? there backordered everywhereI ordered mine right from S&W's website. It took about two weeks during the peak of the back order.

Eric D
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
GanderMTN has this pistol on Sale for $379.99!

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=GM436467&pdesc=Smith_Wesson_Bodyguard_380_Semi_Auto_Pistol_ with_Laser&aID=510C1&merchID=4006

tote'ngranny
01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Cabela's now has the blister packaged mags through their online site. I ordered two several months ago, and finally received them before Christmas bringing my total to seven mags.

Jeffk49738
02-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Nice review Eric. Great photos for illustration. I love my BG. Sold my LCP just after I got it. No comparison. Now I feel line an outsider when I go to elsiepeaforum.com. :cheers:

Jeffk49738
02-04-2011, 08:47 PM
By the way. I don't know if you found them but Cabelas had mags.

Eric D
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Nice review Eric. Great photos for illustration. I love my BG. Sold my LCP just after I got it. No comparison. Now I feel line an outsider when I go to elsiepeaforum.com. :cheers:Thanks Jeff for the positive feedback.

The LCP didn't fit my hand as well, and I can keep a much better grouping with the BG. I'm glad you like your BG.

The price of new BG has come down a lot since I purchased mine. I've seen it for $100 less than what I paid. Yes, I have extra mags. I bought two right from S&W.

Harleybabe
02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Eric: has your trigger "lightened up" any? I JUST got mine and the trigger is REALLY tight.

Also, can you clarify what totngranny was saying about the plastic qtip and the laser button? That's the other issue, the laser button on mine is impossible to turn on without using BOTH hands.

Eric D
02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Eric: has your trigger "lightened up" any? I JUST got mine and the trigger is REALLY tight.

Also, can you clarify what totngranny was saying about the plastic qtip and the laser button? That's the other issue, the laser button on mine is impossible to turn on without using BOTH hands.
Hi Harleybabe, I read your thread about shooting your BG...good stuff. Sorry to hear your trigger being to tight. Mine was heaver than I like, but it got much better after about 75 to 100 rounds. The trigger is still not the best, not so much the effort, but the total travel before it drops the hammer.

My laser switch has been good from day one. It turns on and off very easily with a light tap of my trigger finger. I'm not sure nor would I try to guess what totngranny ment about the plastic qtip. Might be worth sending a PM.

I hope S&W turns your BG around quick and you don't have to wait too long. Please keep us posted on how the treat you. :-D

Harleybabe
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks Eric.

I sure will . They were GREAT, or I should say HE was great on the phone when I called. We will see

Easyrider49
02-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Harleybabe
Did you mention the laser to them ?(S&W)
.380 Body Guards are bad as**d looking little beasts , I wish they made a 9mm in that pit bull looking little frame .

kbolling2
03-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Nice review Eric.. I have a EAB serial# and no FTF but laser is a pain to activate. Sold my LCP and never looked back. I pocket carry in a Recluse holster..Gun feels so much bigger in your hand than LCP..

Jeffk49738
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM

http://www.bodyguard380.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=159&hilit=Diy+fix

Hey harleybabe. Go to the bodyguard.com site. There in a DIY fix for the laser button that really works. It makes the laser button much more responsive, and all it requires is a plastic Q-Tip, and 5 minutes. There are detailed instructions. After I did it my laser was coming on to easy like when I slid it between my car seat, or sliding it in my pocket holster, or even sitting on it while in back pocket. All I had to do was shorten (slightly) the small piece of plastic and it was perfect. Try it and let us know

Jeff

Jeffk49738
03-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi Harleybabe, I read your thread about shooting your BG...good stuff. Sorry to hear your trigger being to tight. Mine was heaver than I like, but it got much better after about 75 to 100 rounds. The trigger is still not the best, not so much the effort, but the total travel before it drops the hammer.

My laser switch has been good from day one. It turns on and off very easily with a light tap of my trigger finger. I'm not sure nor would I try to guess what totngranny ment about the plastic qtip. Might be worth sending a PM.

I hope S&W turns your BG around quick and you don't have to wait too long. Please keep us posted on how the treat you. :-D

http://www.bodyguard380.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=159&hilit=Diy+fix

The rubber laser switch on the inside is a rubber cup with a little nib in the center. It.s that little nib that makes contact with the switch. The problem is the flimsy design of that rubber allows the rubber nib to push to the side and thus not have enough length to make the switch. Even in the worst state if you push your finger in directly from the side it will activate the laser. But what is needed is activation from the tip of the finger when it's placed along side of the frame. The small section of the q-tip plactic cup and more or less takes away the function of the little rubber nib in the middle of the cup. Take a look at it on the inside you'll see. Do it for both switches.
One more tip is to get laser assy out, loosen the hex screw all the way. The screw is designed to stay affixed to the assy. Grab the screw with small needle nose pliers and easily pull the laser assy straight out. No prying needed.

One last thing. I don't think it's right that we should have to repair or re engineer a new gun, but I don't think S&W really has a fix that will work like this DIY fix. That button material is just to flimsy, and even if fixed by them I think it will eventually just start pushing away from switch on laser. Just my opinion but this really works, and you will never have to think about the laser issue. There are detailed instructions, and illustrations at the bg site. (link above)

All bg lovers pass this on, there is no need to be frustrated with the laser or s&w. Fix it, and love the gun:phaser:

kchelius
03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I didnt have my Bodyguard 1 day before I had to send it back to Smith & Wesson. :slap:
The firing pin broke after 50 rounds, not to mention that I had real problems with the trigger. 1 out of every 5 pulls of the trigger didnt work. The trigger would pull all the way and stop on the gun body but not fire. not to mention that you need to be the Terminator to pull the trigger in the first place.
At this point, I still dont have the gun, Smith & Wesson has had it for 28 days and I have no gun.:facepalm: :banghead:

I bought this gun to be a carry gun, I dont think I will be able to trust this gun. What is going to go wrong next with this thing. Right now in my mind this is a $400.00 paper weight.

Sn# EAJ New March 1 2011

Eric D
03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I didnt have my Bodyguard 1 day before I had to send it back to Smith & Wesson. :slap:

Sn# EAJ New March 1 2011Man, sorry to hear that.. Keep us posted as to when you get it back and what they do about it. It makes you wonder how some of them seem to be missed by quality control.

kchelius
03-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I just got my Bodyguard 380 back from Smith & Wesson. They replaced the broken firing pin, and fixed the useless trigger. The trigger now functions as I hoped it would.

On Friday I will go to Dexter to the range and give it another try and hope that nothing else brakes.

I like the look and feel of the gun, now:woohoo1: lets just hope that it is reliable from now on.:007:

Eric D
03-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I just got my Bodyguard 380 back from Smith & Wesson. They replaced the broken firing pin, and fixed the useless trigger. The trigger now functions as I hoped it would.

On Friday I will go to Dexter to the range and give it another try and hope that nothing else brakes.

I like the look and feel of the gun, now:woohoo1: lets just hope that it is reliable from now on.:007:I'm glad to hear you got it back. Be sure to post how it shoots after you get to the range.

snapshotdod
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM
i've only put 150 rounds thru mine so far but they all went off without any hiccups, and that was through 1 mag in about 15 minutes...wasn't trying to be in a hurry, but I wanted to run some rounds through before work, so time was limited, got 2 more mags for her and can't wait to put some more rounds down range.haven't used the laser yet either except when dry firing.

kchelius
04-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Went to the range today, 150 rounds down the tube. The Bodyguard is allot nicer to shoot with the trigger fixed. No failures what so ever, nothing broke.
shoots low at 15' and about right on at 30' with iron sites. The laser is way off, that is my next project, I think that setting the laser for 30' is the goal.
:thup:

Th3 Maelstr0m
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the review!

davidhuff
05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Great post!

tote'ngranny
05-01-2012, 05:23 PM
S&W has great customer service. I feel confident buying their products knowing if anything goes wrong they will take care of it.

Ibear1992
09-07-2012, 01:03 AM
My cousin carries one of these. I've shot it a few times and i really like it. My uncle liked it so much he bought one for his carry piece aswell.

abiding citizen
10-30-2012, 10:42 AM
:shrugs: Ive had my BG for over a yr and overall i enjoy it, my only issue that i have is most times when i fire it i get "blow back" in the face.. has anyone else had this problem? Called SaW and sent it to them to check it out.. waiting to hear back from them and the return of my firearm...

Eric D
03-26-2015, 07:01 PM
:shrugs: Ive had my BG for over a yr and overall i enjoy it, my only issue that i have is most times when i fire it i get "blow back" in the face.. has anyone else had this problem? Called SaW and sent it to them to check it out.. waiting to hear back from them and the return of my firearm...

Did you ever receive your BG back? Did S&W resolve the issues?

abiding citizen
03-26-2015, 07:21 PM
I did get it back after a couple weeks and everything checked out fine with them. The only thing they said was to use American made ammo. I ended up selling it so i could buy something for enjoyable to shoot and carry..

Scarman
03-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Love my Bodyguard as a pocket gun. The fact it has a heavy and long enough trigger pull to be carried with the safety off in my pocket without worry is great!! Also, bullet tech has made leaps and bounds lately giving me more piece of mind to carry a 380.

I grew up in an LEO family and this led to my primary CC being a Glock, so I am used to no manual safety. Great little secondary pocket gun.

kurmey
03-03-2016, 08:02 PM
I really wanted to like this gun. I liked the size and most everything about it, but I just could not get past the trigger. Decided to buy a Glock 42 instead.

DLL9MM
03-04-2016, 06:34 AM
I really wanted to like this gun. I liked the size and most everything about it, but I just could not get past the trigger. Decided to buy a Glock 42 instead.

Good choice.

AxlMyk
07-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Continuing to bring up this old thread.
I'm looking for a pocket .380 and found this thread. Thanks for the review, Eric. By the way, it was great to meet you.

An S&W rep will be at Peacemakers this week, and I plan on trying this gun out. I hope he brings one. They also have a sale on anything S&W you buy.

Eric D
07-11-2016, 06:53 AM
Continuing to bring up this old thread.
I'm looking for a pocket .380 and found this thread. Thanks for the review, Eric. By the way, it was great to meet you.

An S&W rep will be at Peacemakers this week, and I plan on trying this gun out. I hope he brings one. They also have a sale on anything S&W you buy.

Yeah, old thread. I still have the Body Guard that I reviewed here. I see the original has lost the photos. I'll have to see if I can find them and put them back in the review.

Nice meeting you as well.