PDA

View Full Version : HB 4186

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-11-2005, 04:33 AM
MGO President Mike Theide and SAFR legislative representatives Brad Benzing and Bryan Reynard were on hand yesterday morning to testify on this Bill. A substitute was offered that will allow a CPL holder to apply for renewal up to one year before the expiration date. There was no opposition and it passed out of Committee on an 11-0 vote.

Team members spoke with several members of the Committee afterwords and they want this problem fixed along with the idea that it can take up to 8 months for a renewal to be processed. They are listening up in Lansing.

Please call your Rep and urge their support of HB 4186

Barbara
03-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Hey, I was just coming here to post that.

I'll let me Mike give an action report, but it sounds like they had a really productive day yesterday, and our issues are really coming to the forefront.

Joe Carrier
03-13-2005, 12:45 PM
If this becomes law, so that you can apply one yeat prior to expiration, do you lose the time, if your CPL comes back sooner. My Cpl expired in December 2004. Living in Wayne county I decided to apply very early like in March 2004, I recieved my renewal in May 2004, so I lost several months, will this bill solve this??

appliancebrad
03-13-2005, 03:19 PM
If this becomes law, so that you can apply one yeat prior to expiration, do you lose the time, if your CPL comes back sooner. My Cpl expired in December 2004. Living in Wayne county I decided to apply very early like in March 2004, I recieved my renewal in May 2004, so I lost several months, will this bill solve this??

Yes Joe, that is the whole purpose. Even if you apply a year in advance and it only takes 30 days for your renewal to be approved, the new permit will expire 5 years after the expiration of your old one. In your case, the new permit would expire in Dec 2009 instead of May 2009.

Tallbear
12-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Gov. signed the bill. P.A. 262......... http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2005-2006/billintroduced/house/htm/2005-HIB-4186.htm

One of Many
12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Sec. 5l. (1) A license to carry a concealed pistol issued before July 1, 2003 is valid for 3 years and a license to carry a concealed pistol issued on or after July 1, 2003 is valid for 5 years. A license that is renewed before the immediately preceding license term expires, but not more than 1 year before the immediately preceding license term expires, shall bear an issue date that is identical to the expiration date of the preceding license. A renewal of a license under section 5b shall be issued in the same manner as an original license issued under section 5b.
(2) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) are waived for an applicant who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer.
(3) The educational requirements under section 5b(7)(c) for an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license under this act are waived except that the applicant shall certify that he or she has completed at least 3 hours’ review of the training described under section 5b(7)(c) and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the subsequent application.
Enacting section 1. This amendatory act takes effect July 1, 2006.

The way this is worded, it will not be a renewal at all. An identical expiration date to the expired license is still expired. They should have stated that the month and day of the expired license would be applied to the renewed license, with the year of the new expiration extended by five years.

Tallbear
12-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Date (month and day) are the same..............year is different.