PDA

View Full Version : Posessing two firearms during firearm season

bd_slim
11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Is it legal to posess both a handgun and shotgun during the firearm season, if the handgun is in plain view, and you plan to use both for taking game? I'd like to take a deer with my .357 if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't want to be limited to the close range of the handgun.

Will-IB-Ready
11-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Is it legal to posess both a handgun and shotgun during the firearm season, if the handgun is in plain view, and you plan to use both for taking game? I'd like to take a deer with my .357 if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't want to be limited to the close range of the handgun.
Should be fine, assuming that the .357 holds 9 or less rounds.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone
In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or bow and arrow. Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. Legal firearms are as follows:

A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

bd_slim
11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Yes, the .357 is a 6 shot revolver. I know it is legal to use to hunt, but wasn't sure if I could take both.

Will-IB-Ready
11-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes, the .357 is a 6 shot revolver. I know it is legal to use to hunt, but wasn't sure if I could take both.
Well, maybe someone will chime in with a definitive answer, but I have yet to see a law that says you can only carry "x" amount of firearms at a time...

bd_slim
11-18-2010, 04:07 PM
thanks for the help!

Dansjeep2000
11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I hunt with both a .44mag revolver and a 12ga shotgun

russianblood
11-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I carry a 45 ACP on my hip while hunting with my shotgun. No law limiting the amount of firearms carried during deer season, just some caliber and capacity restrictions.

bd_slim
11-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be taking both then.

burle1812
11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
i was always under the impression that if on private property with the landowners permission you were able to carry pretty much what you want when you want (within permissible hunting seasons, etc) - IE i can carry full mags in my M&P openly if I wanted to as long as I stayed on private property...is this correct?

bd_slim
11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
i was always under the impression that if on private property with the landowners permission you were able to carry pretty much what you want when you want (within permissible hunting seasons, etc) - IE i can carry full mags in my M&P openly if I wanted to as long as I stayed on private property...is this correct?

If you have a cpl possibly, but I think if you don't then you are not able to, at least not full the full mags. I think the max is 8 or 9 rounds, and your mags have to be plugged - you can't put 8 rounds in a 13rd mag and call it good.

flyboy13maverick
11-18-2010, 10:57 PM
If you have your cpl you can carry while hunting.

(2) Subject to section 43510(2) and except as provided in section 43513, a person shall not carry or possess afield a shotgun
with buckshot, slug loads, or ball loads; a bow and arrow; a muzzle-loading rifle or black powder handgun; or a centerfire
handgun or centerfire rifle during firearm deer season unless that person has a valid firearm deer license, with an unused kill
tag, if issued, issued in his or her name. The person shall exhibit an unused kill tag, if issued, upon the request of a conservation
officer, a law enforcement officer, or the owner or occupant of the land.

324.43510 Carrying or transporting firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow or trap; license required;
exception; applicability to taking of wild animal.
Sec. 43510. (1) Subject to subsection (2) and except as provided in section 43513, a person shall not carry or transport a
firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, or a trap while in any area frequented by wild animals unless that person has in
his or her possession a license as required under this part.
(2) This act or a rule promulgated or order issued by the department or the commission under this act shall not be construed
to prohibit a person from transporting a pistol or carrying a loaded pistol, whether concealed or not, if either of the following
applies:
(a) The person has in his or her possession a license to carry a concealed pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to
(b) The person is authorized under the circumstances to carry a concealed pistol without obtaining a license to carry a concealed
pistol under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, as provided for under any of the following:
(i) Section 12a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.432a.
(ii) Section 227, 227a, 231, or 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.227, 750.227a, 750.231, and
750.231a.
(3) Subsection (2) does not authorize an individual to take or attempt to take a wild animal except as provided by law. - I take this to mean if you intend to hunt with your handgun the total round count must be at the legal limit, but that does not apply if you are not hunting with it.

rdarabos
11-19-2010, 08:17 AM
i contacted dnr during bow season they said it was leagle to carry pistol during hunt, even bow hunt if u have cpl. u cant use the pistol to kill when bow hunting. so i guess u can carry two during rifle season with cpl but u have to disclose when approached by dnr .

Leader
11-19-2010, 12:03 PM

No it is not correct.
The land owner can not give you permission to violate the law.
The OWNER does have some rights that the general public does not (can carry concealed without a permit, can small game hunt without a license, etc.)but they are NOT transferable.

MichiganShootist
11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
The only law that I know about which limits the number of guns a hunter may have... Is the federal laws covering migrating birds (geese etc) you may only have one gun in your possession.