PDA

View Full Version : Hunting after hours results in loss of firearms rights

G22
03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
From MIDNR Reports:

CO Ken Kovach received a disposition on case where a subject had been issued a ticket for possession of a loaded firearm afield after closed hours. The subject was found guilty in a bench trial and was sentenced to pay $75 in fines and costs, was charged $100 in public defender fees, and was ordered to pay another $100 for the probation program. During his one year probation, he is not allowed to possess a firearm of any kind.

Your thoughts?

Jim Simmons
03-14-2005, 01:37 PM
That's a common condition of probation.

G22
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
So...Where do your firearms go?

Freetime
03-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Give them to your wife or if not married a relative, for 1 year. Should have obeyed the law it would have been easier. Just my opinion, I'm not a lawyer though.
Larry

G22
03-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I agree Larry. But if you give them to your wife they are still in the same home, and if your name is on the deed then technically your still in possession. Right?

Would you have to get all the green cards in her name then? (handgun wise)

BTW its not me in the story, i'm very carefull to unload & case before legal hunting hours are over.

UpNorthWOLF
03-14-2005, 06:26 PM
A friend of mine is holding a number of firearms (ten or twelve) for a neighbor across the street from him.

By the way, if I own land and I am out there, armed, trying to clear poachers or trespassers, would I still get busted? Or is this a state land kinda' thing?

Rick

ultrarider
03-15-2005, 10:03 AM
By the way, if I own land and I am out there, armed, trying to clear poachers or trespassers, would I still get busted? Or is this a state land kinda' thing?

Rick

My guess would be that if you're carrying concealed with a CPL, there would be no problem, but if you're carrying a loaded long gun after hunting hours I'd say you're just as guilty as the guy that got busted. Personnally, I wouldn't approach a trespasser or poacher on my property after dark. I'd call the law and let them do the dirty work - so to speak.

fbuckner
03-16-2005, 05:52 AM
what is considered after hours people hunt coon and coyote after dark. I was told By a CO that it kinda is up in the air She stated if they do or are about to do harm. and as far as she was concerned if a fence was dug under they did harm and she wouldnt issue a ticket btw she is a Sgt

HK USP
03-16-2005, 11:24 AM
what is considered after hours people hunt coon and coyote after dark. I was told By a CO that it kinda is up in the air She stated if they do or are about to do harm. and as far as she was concerned if a fence was dug under they did harm and she wouldnt issue a ticket btw she is a Sgt
Cyote and Coons are varments I don't hunt them but if I see one on my property I will shoot it ireguardless of the time of day, I have lost far too many of my chickens and ducks over the years to do anything else. When I was a kid one of my dad's friends use to coon hunt with his dogs after dark all the time, tree them then shoot. Racoons are not the cute little cuddly creatures most would believe, they actively hunt and kill small game, rabbits birds robbing nests, regularly, doing far more dammage than the so called house cat, plus they are desease carriers.