PDA

View Full Version : WCO Renewal Process-

Batman
03-15-2005, 11:43 PM
So has anyone "walked in" and gotten there prints done by the sheriff? Is the process working?

Tallbear
03-16-2005, 06:13 AM
I was there a couple weeks ago. There were 5 or 6 other guys all there for the same reason. It's a "first come - first served" system.

It's working.............

PhotoTom
03-16-2005, 08:09 AM
The print machine was down on Monday of last week, and again yesterday until noon. There are still appointments being made, but those are mainly for re-prints. If you call for an appointment, you'll get one. The benefit of making an appointment is, when the machine is down and there are several appointments made for the remainder of the day, you'll probably get a call letting you know not to waste a trip. However, walk-in's are fine, too...just don't get too excited if it doesn't work out 100%...

The scheduling isn't 100% consistant yet, either. Most weeks, it is Monday - Friday, 8am - 2pm. However, this week, it was scaled back to 8am to noon. Next week, it will be back to 8am - 2pm, but only Monday - Thursday.

8)

Tallbear
03-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the update, Tom..........

Batman
03-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I called my local PD (GP) to see if I should just go to HR to be printed by WCS. Local PD said NO! They want to do me. They said that they will hand deliver my correct prints to the WCS and that my local PD will track the prints for me to help quicken the process. They also confirmed that I didn't need the two letters of reference. They said that they were called by the WCS and Clerks office about the change. They said to go down with my $ and completed forms and get the control number. Then come to them and get printed.

Nice to know someone at my local level cares.

PhotoTom
03-17-2005, 09:00 AM
It's your prerogative...
At this point, going to a local PD will slow the process down since there will be a delay in getting the print cards to Henry Ruff (WCSD). That's the next step, regardless of where you go. They have no means of tracking your processing progress, so I'd suggest you challenge them on that one! How do they do this? Once the print cards leave them, they're done. Even when their cards get kicked-back from the FBI as not readable, they're off the hook since all your background clearance info is at WCSD at that point...so you come to WCSD to get reprinted! They still get to keep the $15 they charged you for cards that didn't work!

But again, like I said, it's your prerogative...WCSD gets paid the same either way...just tellin' you how it is!

8)

Batman
03-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Got printed today at the GP PD. All went fine. In fact the Detective made two sets of my prints and will send both just in case one isn't to someones liking. Detective said that next time I will not be doing the ink card process. He said that in a couple of months they will be doing a digital print scan that once done can be saved to my file (Therefore I'll never have to go throught that process again). When my CCW is up for renewal all I'll have to do is call the PD up and they will forward my prints to the State Police. In fact, the Detective said that they can send them directly to the FBI, County and MSP all at the same time with the click of a mouse. Detective said that with this digital format they can get print information back from FBI in a matter of hours!

WOW!!! Detective said CCW's should be an over night exercise.

Now the bad news......getting your prints taken on the digital print machine will cost $65.

Tallbear
03-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Got printed today at the GP PD. All went fine. In fact the Detective made two sets of my prints and will send both just in case one isn't to someones liking. Detective said that next time I will not be doing the ink card process. He said that in a couple of months they will be doing a digital print scan that once done can be saved to my file (Therefore I'll never have to go throught that process again). When my CCW is up for renewal all I'll have to do is call the PD up and they will forward my prints to the State Police. In fact, the Detective said that they can send them directly to the FBI, County and MSP all at the same time with the click of a mouse. Detective said that with this digital format they can get print information back from FBI in a matter of hours!

WOW!!! Detective said CCW's should be an over night exercise.

Now the bad news......the digital print machine will cost $65.

Print machine for $65. ..........I'll take two. All the PD's I know of had to get a grant to purchase theirs because of the cost (more than $65.).

GP police are wrong on the "send them with a click of the mouse". MSP aren't set up for "recieving" electronic prints. THat's one of the reasons prints have to be taken for renewals.

And to forward the prints to the FBI from a local PD will do you no good. The process is that everything goes through the County for tracking purposes. How will the Sheriff know when your prints are cleared if your local PD has sent them and not the sheriff? Keep the sheriff busy taking prints and the people working that will not be moved to a "busier" area.

Batman
03-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Print machine for $65. ..........I'll take two. All the PD's I know of had to get a grant to purchase theirs because of the cost (more than $65.).

The cost to get your prints taken on the machine will be $65, up from the current $15. I have no idea what the machine cost was.

GP police are wrong on the "send them with a click of the mouse". MSP aren't set up for "recieving" electronic prints. THat's one of the reasons prints have to be taken for renewals.

Maybe not right now but according to the Detective MSP will be able to get the digital prints as that is what they were told would happen and is one of the reasons why local PD's had to get the equipment in the first place. It's one of those "everyone being on the same page" as a result of 9-11.

And to forward the prints to the FBI from a local PD will do you no good. The process is that everything goes through the County for tracking purposes. How will the Sheriff know when your prints are cleared if your local PD has sent them and not the sheriff?

Everything will go through the County and it will all start at the Clerks office (as it does now) because your prints would have to have your control number on them. Local PD takes prints attaches control number to prints and requests FBI to send results to County sheriff. County Sheriff completes background check and forwards everything to Clerk for permit issuance.

Seems like a big improvement to me (it also seems to good to be true). :(

PhotoTom
03-18-2005, 03:23 PM
There is some truth to it...

8)

Jerry
03-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Hmmmmm.....I was printed in the Oakland County Sherrifs Office with their machine...I am pretty sure it is a digital because there is no ink involved but I still only paid $15 for my finger printing. So how come these other PDs are going to charge $65? And I thought fingerprinting was a set fee.....?

Just wondering

Tallbear
03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Law states a PD (other than County Sherriiff) may change "up to" $15.00 for doing prints for a CPL appplication.

Batman
03-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Good question. I'll ask the Detective next time I see him. I sure don't like paying anymore than I have to and it the law says $15 than $15 it should be.

Jim Simmons
03-18-2005, 11:49 PM
It really pisses me off when those charged with enforcing the law get to violate it with impunity.

$15 is the maximum that a local pd is allowed to charge.

Batman
03-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Gee, I wonder if they'll make a prisoner pay $65 to have his prints taken! Bet not!!

Jerry
03-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Gee, I wonder if they'll make a prisoner pay $65 to have his prints taken! Bet not!!

Nope......Thats outta your pocket too! :D