PDA

View Full Version : help with my SKS.

AKslinger
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I have a stock chineese SKS. I've gone through it cleaned it and taken it out to shoot. I've only had it out twice. This last time (yester at the pit) I was shooting wolf 762 ammo. Every 3rd or so round it would either leave the empty brass in the gun, ot it would not eject it fully and leave it in in the barrel about 1 inch.

Anyone know what could cause this?

Note. It did not do this when I took it out the first time. I also did the same takedown and cleaning before it's first run.

Meta4
03-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Are you shooting the same ammunition?

-James

AKslinger
03-18-2005, 11:58 AM
yep. same 762 wolf from the first time I went out. its from a different ammo can. But same brand.

MrSmithMSU
03-18-2005, 12:24 PM
One thought - how clean is your gas system? Word has it that gas system problems will cause issues like this one.

Might also give a visit to www.sksboards.com. Lots of knowledgable SKS folk there that might give you some other ideas. Also, www.surplusrifle.com has good information on SKS's and lots of other C&R type firearms.

AKslinger
03-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I've had this gun for about 3 years. I had never fired it untill last month. Before I took it out, I gutted it down to nothing. pulled the stock off, and everything.

I took it out to pontiac lake, and it shot with no problems. I got it home and scrubbed it down again (didnt remove the stock) But I did remove the gas tube and rod. I cleaned them with gunk remover. Then went out yesterday and It kept jamming.

:?

Dave
03-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Outside of the gas system, another trouble spot might be the extractor. I have never owned an SKS but it might be worth it to do a good inspection of the extractor. Perhaps it is chipped, cracked or broken?

Just throwing ideas out here.

Brian
03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
The extractor is very robust in these guns, I doubt it's causing any trouble unless it's obviously damaged. The problem sounds like it's in the gas tube or related parts. Maybe a spring got put in wrong or it's binding. Or there's a hole partialy plugged somewhere. Sounds like it's short cycling.

45 acp
03-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Check the chamber wolf ammo has a varnish on the caseings that gums up in the chamber when it gets hot. Creating a tight chamber. Most gun cleaning solvents wont clean it out.
Will your ammo drop all the way into the chamber and fall out when you tip the gun up with the action open?

AKslinger
03-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, I took it out again today. Not only is it doing it with the wolf ammo, its doing it with my chineese surplus ammo as well. Sometimes when I fire it, the brass stays in the chamber. And the bolt locks. I then gotta take a screw driver to unhook the claw with a screw driver and yank the bolt back. Most of the time the brass is solidly locked into the barrel. and it takes a screw driver to get that out as well.

Other times, it doesn't throw the spent casing and it grabs it between the bolt and the opening.

What to do about the gas tube? clean it again? or get a new rod?

This is annoying.

jr-vass
03-19-2005, 12:09 AM
You can drag an AK or SKS through mud and it'll still work. (i.e. Vietnam).

Is it crappy ammo?

James

Jerry
03-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Did the grenade launcher port get opened up ?

The band that allows you to cycle your bolt vs the grenade launcher may have gotten turned accidentaly and the gas escapes before cycling your bolt.

Just a thought.....JR

AKslinger
03-19-2005, 12:20 PM
as far as i know its good ammo. Shooting wolf 762. shoots out of my sks with no problem.

No grenade launcher on this one. it's chineese.

Knimrod
03-19-2005, 01:00 PM
I've heard that an SKS will eat the Wolf ammo with no problem. My personal experience with other guns and Wolf ammo is what 45 ACP mentioned. The lacquer that is used to seal the cartridge will sort of peel off when cycled in and out of a hot chamber. It eventually becomes gunked up inside the chamber and "glues" subsequent rounds inside. It's even worse as the chamber cools with a round in it (hardening the "glue"), requiring extraordinary measures to free the cartridge.

That said, my SAR-1 eats the Wolf just fine and seems to tolerate the "gunk" that builds up in the chamber. When you say that the "brass" is solidly locked in the chamber, requiring a screwdriver to get it out, would seem to indicate a "gunk" problem. Perhaps there is a defect in your chamber aggravating the problem? I would certainly look in that direction. Polishing the chamber is a fairly simple procedure and may help.

Newer Wolf ammo (grayish tint) purportedly does not use the lacquer/varnish coating of the older ammo (greenish tint) that causes thes problems in some guns. The newer stuff uses a "polymer" coating that is tolerated by more guns.

Lance

AKslinger
03-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I took it down last night and scrubbed the hell out of the entire gun. I actually didnt know about the upper gas rod. Nor did I know about the gas gole that goes to the barrel.

I scrubbed both of those items. Hopefully that will help with the round not being thrown away from the gun far enough.

Now, to scrub the chamber and get all that crud outta there.

Dave
03-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I saw some of the older laquer sealed Wolf gunk up an AR15 once. It took a 1 pc. cleaning rod and a bunch of effort to remove the spent case. Once it was removed, the shooter went back to shooting. Within just a few rounds it happened again. He quit shooting it at that point.

The newer polymer coated wolf is great plinking ammo though. I haven't heard of this problem happening with the new stuff.

Actually, I dont think I have ever heard of the older laquer stuff getting locked in the com block guns either.

Should be interesting to see what the problem was once AKslinger gets it figured out.

Jerry
03-19-2005, 02:51 PM
AKslinger...try this link for some good info on your old military (or look alikes) rifles

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

JR

Look on the left for SKS carbines then on the right side for dissassembly there are alot of photos and tips to help you out.

edited to add lower line....

AKslinger
03-19-2005, 04:35 PM
funny, i've actually been there before.

(i stole the link from your sig line) :wink:

Thanks!

MrSmithMSU
03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Did the grenade launcher port get opened up ?

The band that allows you to cycle your bolt vs the grenade launcher may have gotten turned accidentaly and the gas escapes before cycling your bolt.

Just a thought.....JR

I thought Yugos were the only ones that had grenade launchers, and thus the gas valve....?

Wesley w/Glock
03-30-2005, 01:09 PM
More than likely this is one of those can't-see-the-forest-for-the-trees issue. Something is radically wrong and more than likely it happened when you took down the weapon. One time I failed to properly seat a spring in my AK and it failed to discharge every so often.

Let Renegade look at it at AA Guns. I bet he can figure it out. Renegade is an AK guru.

Brian
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Having to pry the extractor off of the case and the case out of the chamber with a screwdriver would indicate the chamber is either dirty, rusty or damaged in a way the when the case expands it grabs onto dirt, rust or flows into a pit in the chamber. Clean the you know what out of it and then try polishing. If it's pitted to deeply you may have a wall hanger. I can't imagine steel cases getting stuck in a pitted chamber though, hope a good cleaning helps.