PDA

View Full Version : piecing together? or buying complete.

AKslinger
03-23-2005, 08:49 AM
I've been talking to a lot of people recently about AR style guns, and the like. Some tell me its cheaper to build it yourself from parts at gun shows. Others tell me its cheaper to buy it outright complete.

I was at guns galore yesterday and looked at an ar style in .223 it was 800.00 This was made by olympic. I also looked at the .308 big brother or that gun (made by bushmaster) and it was 1400.

So whats the better deal? pieces? or ready to go?

G22
03-23-2005, 09:14 AM
I got my upper from Model 1 Sales 24" stainless heavy barrel for about $450. My lower from karcent, a RRA for around $120 and match trigger for another $100 or so. I put a Leupold Mark 4 scope 3x9x40 on for $ (actually i forgot the price), and a Harris bi-pod for $65. Done deal.

I purchased the 24" for long range accuracy.

[siteimg:e10933b58d]34[/siteimg:e10933b58d]

AKslinger
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
so its a little cheaper. but no much. If you bought that lower from a dealer it would have cost you the more.

G22
03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I did get the lower from a dealer. He helped me install one of the harder springs and detent pin.

karcent

AKslinger
03-23-2005, 04:11 PM
did you charge g22 what you paid for it? If you did then cool if not, then it was cheaper.

I was more talking about going to a gun show and buying all the pieces.

Thanks though.

Maranatha
03-23-2005, 10:15 PM
I found buying the kit from Model 1 Sales to be cheaper than buying all the parts.

I built an M-4 Clone. for about 550.00

chiefal
03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
the point I see, is how often you find a firearm you are completely happy with, I'm building an ar varient now, I have picked the pieces I want, not a complete package gun. the cost is a low priority and it will cost me more than that package deal, but I get what I want

G22
03-24-2005, 08:20 AM
did you charge g22 what you paid for it? If you did then cool if not, then it was cheaper.

I was more talking about going to a gun show and buying all the pieces.

Thanks though.

karcent didn't write my post, I did. I have no idea what he paid for them but he is running a business, I don't think he's selling them for what he paid. That would be financial suicide. But I have been very happy with his prices and service. And I have no complaints because I built it up the way I wanted it.

I'm sure you can go to a gun show & get everything your looking for. I found it to my advantage to go through Model 1 Sales for the upper, like Gary did. They deliver right to your door and it only took a few days.

keyjockey
03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I also have a Model 1 Sales upper built on a RRA lower purchased from our own Karcent.

Unless you're a diehard Bushmaster fan, you might want to give 'em a look.

Batman
03-25-2005, 12:00 AM
I as well did a build with a Model ! upper kit and a bushmaster lower that I got from Karcent. I saved money and had the sense of satisfaction in doing a build. Then again, you can build an AK or a FAL for about the same cost. AR thought are tons easier to build.

bluethunder
03-25-2005, 05:14 PM
AR thought are tons easier to build.

Really? I should get me one. Although the AR is pretty easy to assemble, easier is better. Oh, and BTW, I vote kit. Ya really need a couple lowers and a couple of them Bagmaster upper cases filled with your favorite flavor of uppers. 24"Long flat top, M-4, and a standard 20" for sure. Not to mention the .50 upper for it :sniper: talk about your "evil black rifle". :wink: