PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to gunshows

karcent
03-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Within the next 3-4 years, gunshows will become extinct.
This is due to a policy that will be set into effect in the near future.
The BATFE is informing FFL holders who do not have commercial storefronts, that a certain percentage (something more than half) of their sales must occur at their licensed location. If they do not meet this standard, their license will not be renewed when it comes up for review.
Most of these dealers are the people who set up and sell at gunshows.
As an example, only 3 of the regular dealers who sell at the Gibralter Mt Clemens Show have retail store fronts.

Maranatha
03-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Was there a law paseed to do this, our did they just make this up after a Bad Lunch

karcent
03-26-2005, 05:20 PM
I do not believe this was done legislatively. The BATFE has a certain amount of power to set policy.

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
When did you receive this notification, Kurt? I haven't seen anything yet.
Edited by me for skimming over the key sentence: "...The BATFE is informing FFL holders who do not have commercial storefronts"....

Nevermind :oops:

karcent
03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
No notification has been issue, but I know of two dealers that do not have storefronts who were informed of this during recent audits.

alex-vitek
03-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Most of these dealers are the people who set up and sell at gunshows.
As an example, only 3 of the regular dealers who sell at the Gibralter Mt Clemens Show have retail store fronts.
How does this affect someone who sets up at a gun show but does not sell guns? Are there more than 3 gun dealers/sellers at the Gibralter North gun show?

Does it affect a vendor who sells parts or accessories?

karcent
03-27-2005, 08:12 AM
This will only effect FFL dealers. Parts and accessories dealers will not be effected.
6 of the 9 firearms dealers who are regulars at Gibralter Mt Clemens do not have storefronts.
I would speculate that the largest dealer there sells most of his firearms at the shows and not out of his store.
I am not familiar with the ratio of other shows, but without those tables, the show would die.

Cherokee
03-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Can a store front be run from home? Would it make a difference if these sellers started selling on on the internet, to make up thier 50%+?

karcent
03-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Internet sales are actually dealer to dealer with the receiving dealer completing the sale.
A home is not the same as a retail storefront.
Dealers who do not meet the requirements will simply not get their license renewed.

alex-vitek
03-28-2005, 07:31 AM
There seem to be many rural dealers who operate their business out of the home. The "storefront" is a room which is accessable by a door from inside the house and another door which opens up onto the driveway or parking lot. They have a sign and posted hours and meet all current local zoning laws and regulations.

Wouldn't these be retail storefronts?

redrock103
03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
the b.a.t.f makes laws as they see fit. the jackbooted murdering thugs. the law and politicians are aganist us the patriots of this once great land! can't you people see that, they all have the same agenda.

ZIPGRAVER
03-28-2005, 05:14 PM
In my dealings with the ATF...and of course it comes nowhere close to Kurt or John or most any dealer... I am of the opinion that most of the opposition to home based gun businesses comes from the municipalities not from the ATF. The ATF just acts as the henchman. Although I am not an 01...dealer... I am an 07...manufacturer... and I can still sell guns...even carry them sans CPL. :hick: The ATF had no objection to giving me a license but my city did. Once I got that all straightened out I had my FFL in about 2 weeks. It's a shame there can't be a separate class of dealer just for gun shows.

Another thing, most store front dealers don't object to the ATF not renewing any other dealers licenses especially gun show dealers. :shock: That's just good business.

karcent
03-29-2005, 07:18 AM
There seem to be many rural dealers who operate their business out of the home. The "storefront" is a room which is accessable by a door from inside the house and another door which opens up onto the driveway or parking lot. They have a sign and posted hours and meet all current local zoning laws and regulations.

Wouldn't these be retail storefronts?

They may qualify as a storefront, but the sticking point will be how many guns are sold from that location. If it does not meat the required ratio, the license will not be renewed.

Batman
03-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Where on the form does it list where you sold a gun? How will they know if the gun was sold at a show or in your store (or boat or plane or whatever)?

karcent
03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Back side of the form is a line that the dealer fills in.
You don't want to lie on a federal form.

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Question#17
In addition, A FFL can perform a transaction only at his licensed premises or a "gun show" in the state their licensed premises is located, and then only with their license clearly displayed.

ZIPGRAVER
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Kind of funny...one time I bought a gun from Randy's in Bad Axe but finalized the sale in a Big Boy parking lot in Waterford. :shock: :P Felt like I was doing a drug deal... it was a dark rainy night.

Batman
03-30-2005, 10:59 PM
I smell a class action law suit. Seem to me the BATFE is restricting interstate commerce.

karcent
03-31-2005, 07:15 AM
I think that's their job description, isn't it?

WhoIsJohnGalt
03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
They are from the government and they are here to help us. :deal2:

alex-vitek
03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
... it was a dark rainy night.
It is always a "dark and stormy night" :P :P when dealing with the BATFE.