PDA

View Full Version : I got "delayed" for a gun purchase

Villainous
11-28-2010, 03:04 AM
It is very frustrating, I have a michigan CPL, I had errors on my record once and it took me a long time to get it cleared up through the state police, fbi and atf. but it WAS straightened out my criminal record was corrected and I bought a few pistols, got my cpl and all has been fine for the last few years.
Well I went to buy a .22 rifle and i was told that i was being "delayed" and they will let me know when I am cleared to purchase it.

I don't understand! I could go purchase a pistol without any problems, but a rifle gives me problems.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this problem, and more importantly how I could clear it up to speed up this process in the future?

Signess
11-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Let me guess.... Dunhams, right? Also, I'll bet you declined to give your social security number?

You're not the only one that has happened to, you can trust me on that one.

Will-IB-Ready
11-28-2010, 07:20 AM
It just happens sometimes.
Don't take it personally. It might just be that the call center was busy at the time, this is after all a very high sales weekend.

Villainous
11-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes it was at Dunham's, good guess?
I did give them my social security number though, I didn't know it was optional?

Signess
11-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes it was at Dunham's, good guess?
I did give them my social security number though, I didn't know it was optional?

Dunhams seems to be notorious for this, for what ever reason... I dunno.

But yes, the social is optional. It does "usually" speed things up, and you can usually avoid this. You are however the first one I've seen or heard of getting a delay after providing social.

For the record, it happened too me at Dunhams also. I went to Dicks the following day and picked up the same weapon (with a better scope), without a hitch.

Such a shame Dunhams is a Michigan based company, yet I try to avoid them like the plague.

Will-IB-Ready
11-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I've been delayed at Walmart, MC Sports, Private FFL dealer in his own home, gun shops...

It happens everywhere and I always give my SS#.

Mike in Michigan
11-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I thought a CPL issued after Nov 25, 2005 was good in place of the NICS call.

justin92
11-28-2010, 12:50 PM
happen to my only at dunhams, and if it is dunhams dont waste your time there store is a waste of time and money, and they have the worst costumer serivice ever, never been treated so crappy in a store before, and alot o fpeople get delayed i had a firearm payed off for three months and it was still dealyed so i went and got my money back, wen to a gun shop and had no problem at all.

DUNHAMS:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

garbage store no doubt about that i wouldnt reccomend going there to anybody at all

Triggerbender
11-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I thought a CPL issued after Nov 25, 2005 was good in place of the NICS call.

Their Corporate policy is to NICS everyone. Which is BS IMHO.
CPL doesn't fly with them.

gidaeon
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Their Corporate policy is to NICS everyone. Which is BS IMHO.
CPL doesn't fly with them.

I think Dicks Sporting goods does the same.. at least the times I've done a purchase and asked.

Not sure about other business in MI, but my experience in Iowa was that places were consistently better about honoring your permit in lieu of NICS.

Signess
11-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I think Dicks Sporting goods does the same.. at least the times I've done a purchase and asked.

Not sure about other business in MI, but my experience in Iowa was that places were consistently better about honoring your permit in lieu of NICS.

They all do.... Dicks, Gander, Dunhams. It just seems that more often than not, it's Dunhams who's inquiry puts up a red flag.

Contact the AFT, and acquire you own unique PIN, and do away with this crap. About the only thing you can do to avoid retailers BS.

DeuceFirearms
11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
This is my first post so I guess I will jump right in. If anyone is having problems with "delay" responses you might consider applying to the Voluntary Appeal File. The folks that have had problems probably have a dirtbag out there with a name and DOB close to their own. The NICS center must research to make sure you are not that person. They do a small investigation and when they are finished the status changes. The problem is they must destroy the information from this investigation within 24 hours from notifying the FFL of the final status. This means if you must go through this mini investigation every time you get a firearm. Different people do the checks every and some may be able to make a determination quickly while some may take a while.

To avoid these delays NICS created the Voluntary Appeal File. Basically you give the NICS center permission to keep your investigation information on file so they can do the investigation one last time. They then keep this information and basically just check to see if you have any new law problems. I speeds up the process as they give you a unique personal identification number to report on the 4473. This allows them to look up you previous information.

I can't post a link because I do not have 10 posts yet but if anyone is interested search NICS voluntary appeal file.

Also, if you have a CPL or pistol purchase permit a FFL may put that information on the 4473 and skip the NICS check under certain circumstances. I have contacted industry operations for the ATF about this matter and they have "strongly" recommended doing a NICS check no matter what so I always do a NICS check even if it may not be required.

Chuck Graham
Deuce Firearms

Signess
11-29-2010, 06:08 PM
This is my first post so I guess I will jump right in. If anyone is having problems with "delay" responses you might consider applying to the Voluntary Appeal File. The folks that have had problems probably have a dirtbag out there with a name and DOB close to their own. The NICS center must research to make sure you are not that person. They do a small investigation and when they are finished the status changes. The problem is they must destroy the information from this investigation within 24 hours from notifying the FFL of the final status. This means if you must go through this mini investigation every time you get a firearm. Different people do the checks every and some may be able to make a determination quickly while some may take a while.

To avoid these delays NICS created the Voluntary Appeal File. Basically you give the NICS center permission to keep your investigation information on file so they can do the investigation one last time. They then keep this information and basically just check to see if you have any new law problems. I speeds up the process as they give you a unique personal identification number to report on the 4473. This allows them to look up you previous information.

I can't post a link because I do not have 10 posts yet but if anyone is interested search NICS voluntary appeal file.

Also, if you have a CPL or pistol purchase permit a FFL may put that information on the 4473 and skip the NICS check under certain circumstances. I have contacted industry operations for the ATF about this matter and they have "strongly" recommended doing a NICS check no matter what so I always do a NICS check even if it may not be required.

Chuck Graham
Deuce Firearms

Hi Chuck, and welcome to MGO forums.

I was speaking of the same P.I.N. I didn't know the logistics behind it though. Thanks for that.

In regards to the NICS. Could you define "certain circumstances", please?

Why run a NICS on a CPL holder, when it's perfectly legal to sell to a CPL holder? Just because they "strongly" recommend it?

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/03/032406-openletter-ffl-michigan-concealed-permit.html

mikeb32
11-29-2010, 06:29 PM
:welcome: to MGO Chuck

_DK_
11-29-2010, 06:33 PM

I was speaking of the same P.I.N. I didn't know the logistics behind it though. Thanks for that.

Why run a NICS on a CPL holder, when it's perfectly legal to sell to a CPL holder? Just because they "strongly" recommend it?

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/03/032406-openletter-ffl-michigan-concealed-permit.html

I would suspect it is because my 10yr old daughter could create a better looking CPL card than my County provided to me...

Signess
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I would suspect it is because my 10yr old daughter could create a better looking CPL card than my County provided to me...

That may be true, but it apparently pacifies the ATF. And by law, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I think if someone want's to go through that much trouble of bootlegging a CPL, they'd probably just buy a gun off the street first. Hence.... the foolishness behind the NICS for CPL holders.

tdbrown1969
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM

I have a PIN and have not been delayed or denied since I got it.It is not so much an issue now that I can use my CPL for purchasing but before that I would get delayed everytime.I was finally denied one time and appealed it and the ATF sent me a letter saying I was not legally able to own firearms.In the meantime I have a CPL and am carrying a pistol in Michigan,buying a new handgun every couple of months.Seems the state police or courts never forwarded my court paper work on to the FBI/ATF.All they knew was I was charged with a felony and therefore unable to purchase a firearm.After shipping off some court papers showing the final charge was reduced to a high court misdemeanor to them they sent me a certificate approving the purchase I was denied and offered me an application for a PIN number.I applied and was approved and no issues since then,td

NICS Appeals Brochure

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_appeals_brochure_eng

ColKurtz
12-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I have never been delayed until my last purchase.

I have a very common name, and I had always put my SSN because I had a feeling it would cause a delay.

Sure enough, on my last purchase I opted out of putting my SSN.

12 day delay ensued!

redhawk44
12-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Regarding the CPL as an alternative to a NICS check, I see nothing ambiguous in the letter that was sent to FFL holders. Here it is.
OPEN LETTER TO ALL MICHIGAN FEDERAL FIREARMS
LICENSEES
The purpose of this letter is to advise you of an important change to the procedure you may
follow beginning March 24,2006. On this day, Michigan's Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPLs)
issued on or after November 22, 2005 will qualify as an alternative to a National Instant
Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check. Accordingly, the 1998 Open Letter to
Michigan Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) is superseded in regards to the information on
"Alternatives to a NICS check."
Background
The permanent provisions of the Brady Law took effect on November 30, 1998. The Brady
Law generally requires licensed dealers to initiate a NICS background check through the FBI
(or the State in a Point of Contact State) before transferring a fIrearm to an unlicensed
individual. However, the Brady Law contains a few exceptions to the NICS check
requirement, including an exception for holders of certain State permits to possess, carry, or
acquire fIrearms.
In 1998, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) sent an Open
Letter to all Michigan FFLs stating Michigan's Permit to Purchase a Handgun would qualify
as an alternative to the background check required under the Brady Law, but that the CPL
would not. ATF's recognition ofthe Permit to Purchase a Handgun as a Brady alternative
was based on the fact that Michigan conducted background checks through NICS prior to the
issuance or renewal of these permits, and denied a permit to anyone prohibited under Federal,
State, or local law. This process was not followed before the issuance of a CPL, and therefore
the CPL did not qualify for the exception.
Michigan recently passed a law, effective November 22, 2005, changing the way the CPL is
issued. The Michigan Attorney General asked ATF to review whether the CPL now meets
the statutory and regulatory requirements for the NICS exception. ATF's review found that
CPLs issued on or after November 22,2005, do meet the requirements. Accordingly, all
Michigan Permits to Purchase a Handgun and CPLs issued on or after November 22, 2005,
now both qualify as NICS check alternatives.

Beginning March 24, 2006, if an unlicensed person presents you with a Michigan CPL issued
on or after November 22, 2005, no NICS check is necessary. However, the required
information about the license must be recorded in question 23 of the ATF Form 4473,
Firearms Transaction Record. As stated above, the Michigan Permit to Purchase a Handgun
continues to be a NICS alternative. Please note, Michigan CPLs issued prior to November 22,
2005 and Michigan's Temporary Concealed Pistol License do not qualify as NICS
alternative. Therefore if someone presents you with one of these licenses, you must conduct a
NICS check.
If you have any questions, please call your local field office or ATF's Brady Operations
Branch at (304) 616-4200. As always, we thank you for your cooperation.

Lewis P. Raden
Assistant Director
Enforcement Programs and Services

Will-IB-Ready
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Sure enough, on my last purchase I opted out of putting my SSN.

12 day delay ensued!
Oh man, that sucks! I've been delayed several times but it was usually between 5 - 15 minutes. Only one time did I actually leave the store and come back later and that was only an hour.

RayMich
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
As I understand it, accepting the CPL in lieu of a NICS check is optional for a FFL dealer.

Dunham's will run a NICS check for every firearm. Gander Mountain will accept the CPL in lieu of NICS checks for handgun, but for long guns they will still run a NICS check. Go figure! :-?

sullyxlh
12-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Dunhams seems to be notorious for this, for what ever reason... I dunno.

But yes, the social is optional. It does "usually" speed things up, and you can usually avoid this. You are however the first one I've seen or heard of getting a delay after providing social.

For the record, it happened too me at Dunhams also. I went to Dicks the following day and picked up the same weapon (with a better scope), without a hitch.

Such a shame Dunhams is a Michigan based company, yet I try to avoid them like the plague.I just bought a WASR from a Dunhams in SE MI
dealt with a manager, filled the paperwork, waited...10-15min and had my gun,
no hiccups, smooth transaction maybe in the store 1/2hr-45min tops he had the lock on the trigger and
I put it in my case and he walked me to the door and that was it.

I had made the comment that I would do the paperwork and pick it up in a few days he said are you gonna put it in layaway?
I said no I just thought the background check may take a couple days and he said no, it takes about ten minutes so we did that and I had my gun.

I did suspect that he had gun knowledge cause I bought some XM193 with it
and he he did show concern making sure I knew that rd didn't go in that gun.
All in all a very pleasant transaction.

customizedcreationz
12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
A couple of things.

1 IF you were delay 12 days, were you delayed from a store purchasing the firearm, of getting your purchase permit ? If your delayed on a NIC's check, you only have to wait 3 days ( 5 if its a weekend ) to pick up your firearm. If the dealer is not called back within 3 days ( 5 if its a weekend ), then your clear proceed as normal. So if you were delayed 12 days from a purchase at a store, it was the store that screwed you , not the NIC's check.

2 Regardless of whether you have a CPL or not, any corporate store is going to run a NIC's check on you. Its 99% store policy. If you think people would fake a CPL , but would first buy a gun on the street, ask your bank how many counterfeit bills they get on average. You'll be surprised. So the reason behind the background check is also to make sure that within the time that you received your CPL that you have not committed or are being charged with a crime. Just because you got a CPL last year, doesn't mean that this year you didn't commit a crime that would keep you from purchasing a firearm.

3 Gander Mountain will not accept CPL's from my local branch. Even with me being a FFL holder, they will still do a background check on me. And they require different paperwork to fill out for FFL holders, and require your license to be on file with them ( every time they ask for a new FFL even though they already have one on file ).

4 For big box stores one store getting popped because they didn't do a background check on a CPL holder will draw unwanted national news. That would not only suck for them, but the gun industry too. If Gander Mountain stopped selling firearms, the gun industry would feel a sting in the form of manufacturer's.

5 For the local small business that gets popped for not doing a background check on a CPL holder, that is their livelihood. If they get in trouble, then there goes their business. Their source of income and ability to continue their business. So when those of you complain, think if big brother came in and just said , John/Frank/Bill whoever.....you know we aren't going to let you work in this field anymore and on top of that your a convicted felon, in order to clear yourself, your going to have to spend your life savings ( even though you no longer have a job to support yourself and your family ). Then we aren't going to give you your license back and you'll have to start over in another line of work.

So it would be like many of you CYOA at your job when some dumbass is dorking around with a machine, or some files etc. You know you would cover yourself, so hence, have the same idea that this is what others are doing. The CPL is almost like you yourself taking your dumbass fellow employee's word ( his word is the cpl in this example ) that nothing is going to happen to you if you help him, or cover for him / whatever. Though it may have good intentions, it doesn't make it 100% safe for you.

Yes you did go through the background check to get a CPL, but that doesn't stop people who hold CPL's from doing dumb things and being in trouble ( watch the news everyday ). Heck look how many people drive cars with no license and continually do it. There are huge flaws in the system and ways around everything. A CPL can be a way around one of those hiccups.

So don't bitch ( or atleast don't bitch to me ) about FFL's or Corporate FFL's doing background checks on CPL holders. Take some of these thoughts into consideration.

Bottom line it does suck to be delayed. And if your continually delayed, actions have been stated how to avoid those delays ( UPIN ). If your delayed once in awhile, take it for what its worth. A pain, but its life and it happens.

I bought 10+ guns one week prior to me having an FFL. I wasn't delayed and they all weren't purchased at the same time, there were 3 one day, 2 or 3 the next etc. They were all multiple gun sales.

Fast forward a couple months I buy three guns in one week. The first one I am delayed on ( lets say it was Monday ). On Wednesday , the other two guns come in. I am not delayed on those , but I can't take the one that came in on Monday with me. Now I pass the NIC's background check with a proceed on Wednesday. Doesn't that mean I should be cleared to take the gun from Monday as well. Sorry doesn't work that way. I had to come back on Friday to pick up Monday's gun.

So it happens. Sorry , but that's just the way it is sometimes. And it happens to EVERYONE eventually.

If you want to bitch, call up your local ATF Office, they will direct you to the person to talk to.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks
Todd

Mike in Michigan
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I actually met the complaint lady once.

Her name is: Helen Waite

If you have a complaint, you go to Helen Waite...

customizedcreationz
12-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I actually met the complaint lady once.

Her name is: Helen Waite

If you have a complaint, you go to Helen Waite...

Her maiden name was Keller.

I know I am bad... :roll:

chewy
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
As I understand it, accepting the CPL in lieu of a NICS check is optional for a FFL dealer.

Dunham's will run a NICS check for every firearm. Gander Mountain will accept the CPL in lieu of NICS checks for handgun, but for long guns they will still run a NICS check. Go figure! :-?

It's optional but it is acceptable. We can still run NICS if we choose or in stead of if we want. I know some places do both, I used to but I had several CPL holders that came back delayed so now I just take the CPL. I've had several people say it was only OK for handguns but I called NICS and they told me straight up that a MI CPL is acceptable in lieu of a NICS for any weapon. Some places do the NICS anyway just to CYA because the CPL's are fairly easy to make and they aren't all the same. I personally think it'd be awesome to just have it put as a holograph or something onto the Drivers License.

Donzie
12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
It's optional but it is acceptable. We can still run NICS if we choose or in stead of if we want. I know some places do both, I used to but I had several CPL holders that came back delayed so now I just take the CPL. I've had several people say it was only OK for handguns but I called NICS and they told me straight up that a MI CPL is acceptable in lieu of a NICS for any weapon. Some places do the NICS anyway just to CYA because the CPL's are fairly easy to make and they aren't all the same. I personally think it'd be awesome to just have it put as a holograph or something onto the Drivers License.
+1
I still have never heard of a case were a counterfeit CPL was ever used, or found.

chewy
12-03-2010, 02:15 PM
+1
I still have never heard of a case were a counterfeit CPL was ever used, or found.

Me either (except ATF using a fake one to make sure the gun shop was paying attention) but I'm sure that's what they'll use as an excuse. There hasn't been any legal automatics used in crime either but they still have the ban on them making it *******g outragiously expensive to own one.

customizedcreationz
12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I have personally never seen a fake CPL myself.

But when I was paired with a couple ATF agents in the past, I heard some stories of cases they were involved with , include a couple of fake CPL/Id's.

So it happens. Just because we don't hear about , doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Its just not common I would presume.

But on the flip side, how would anyone know if you have been duped with a fake CPL, unless the gun is used in a crime and the person is actually caught. If you don't call in a NIC's check, the paper work may never leave the FFL ( because the fake CPL guy isn't going to turn in his RI60 form ).

Signess
12-03-2010, 03:42 PM

Ding... Ding... Ding...

Someone gets it!

Now... to fire up that printer, I need a 2nd income! :score:

mechredd
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I've only bought 1 gun from Dunham's, and it went problem free other than they wouldn't accept my CPL.

When I worked for an FFL dealer, I noticed that people whom didn't put down their SSN or had common first and last names, almost always got delayed. Also, people that lived on streets with common names were often delayed.

Donzie
12-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I've only bought 1 gun from Dunham's, and it went problem free other than they wouldn't accept my CPL.

When I worked for an FFL dealer, I noticed that people whom didn't put down their SSN or had common first and last names, almost always got delayed. Also, people that lived on streets with common names were often delayed.
Heck, I seen a FFL dealer get delayed :coocoo:

aquatic-archer
12-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Bought several guns at Dunhams as well as other places have never given
SS# and never been delayed even on black friday. Like Will-Be-Ready said sometimes it just happens, knock on wood not to me.

TAC
12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Most often NICS delays are due to request overload and short staffing.

I've also had it explained to me that the NICS check is required on rifles/shotguns, even if you do have a CPL. It's one of those gray areas because of the way it's worded. The exception specifically points out pistols, and does not included long arms. Some ignore it, claiming it was to be assumed, and was left out accidentally. Others claim they don't want to take the chance of loosing their license.

ColKurtz
12-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I was delayed 12 days on the NICS check. I don't blame the FFL for not releasing the gun after the 3 day mark. If someone gets a delay, but then comes back denied, the ATF does a confiscation. I'm sure the FFL just doesn't want to create a situation like that for their customers. People get denied occasionally for wrongful reasons. Then not only did you get screwed by the NICS, you're out your expensive firearm.

A couple of things.

1 IF you were delay 12 days, were you delayed from a store purchasing the firearm, of getting your purchase permit ? If your delayed on a NIC's check, you only have to wait 3 days ( 5 if its a weekend ) to pick up your firearm. If the dealer is not called back within 3 days ( 5 if its a weekend ), then your clear proceed as normal. So if you were delayed 12 days from a purchase at a store, it was the store that screwed you , not the NIC's check.

2 Regardless of whether you have a CPL or not, any corporate store is going to run a NIC's check on you. Its 99% store policy. If you think people would fake a CPL , but would first buy a gun on the street, ask your bank how many counterfeit bills they get on average. You'll be surprised. So the reason behind the background check is also to make sure that within the time that you received your CPL that you have not committed or are being charged with a crime. Just because you got a CPL last year, doesn't mean that this year you didn't commit a crime that would keep you from purchasing a firearm.

3 Gander Mountain will not accept CPL's from my local branch. Even with me being a FFL holder, they will still do a background check on me. And they require different paperwork to fill out for FFL holders, and require your license to be on file with them ( every time they ask for a new FFL even though they already have one on file ).

4 For big box stores one store getting popped because they didn't do a background check on a CPL holder will draw unwanted national news. That would not only suck for them, but the gun industry too. If Gander Mountain stopped selling firearms, the gun industry would feel a sting in the form of manufacturer's.

5 For the local small business that gets popped for not doing a background check on a CPL holder, that is their livelihood. If they get in trouble, then there goes their business. Their source of income and ability to continue their business. So when those of you complain, think if big brother came in and just said , John/Frank/Bill whoever.....you know we aren't going to let you work in this field anymore and on top of that your a convicted felon, in order to clear yourself, your going to have to spend your life savings ( even though you no longer have a job to support yourself and your family ). Then we aren't going to give you your license back and you'll have to start over in another line of work.

So it would be like many of you CYOA at your job when some dumbass is dorking around with a machine, or some files etc. You know you would cover yourself, so hence, have the same idea that this is what others are doing. The CPL is almost like you yourself taking your dumbass fellow employee's word ( his word is the cpl in this example ) that nothing is going to happen to you if you help him, or cover for him / whatever. Though it may have good intentions, it doesn't make it 100% safe for you.

Yes you did go through the background check to get a CPL, but that doesn't stop people who hold CPL's from doing dumb things and being in trouble ( watch the news everyday ). Heck look how many people drive cars with no license and continually do it. There are huge flaws in the system and ways around everything. A CPL can be a way around one of those hiccups.

So don't bitch ( or atleast don't bitch to me ) about FFL's or Corporate FFL's doing background checks on CPL holders. Take some of these thoughts into consideration.

Bottom line it does suck to be delayed. And if your continually delayed, actions have been stated how to avoid those delays ( UPIN ). If your delayed once in awhile, take it for what its worth. A pain, but its life and it happens.

I bought 10+ guns one week prior to me having an FFL. I wasn't delayed and they all weren't purchased at the same time, there were 3 one day, 2 or 3 the next etc. They were all multiple gun sales.

Fast forward a couple months I buy three guns in one week. The first one I am delayed on ( lets say it was Monday ). On Wednesday , the other two guns come in. I am not delayed on those , but I can't take the one that came in on Monday with me. Now I pass the NIC's background check with a proceed on Wednesday. Doesn't that mean I should be cleared to take the gun from Monday as well. Sorry doesn't work that way. I had to come back on Friday to pick up Monday's gun.

So it happens. Sorry , but that's just the way it is sometimes. And it happens to EVERYONE eventually.

If you want to bitch, call up your local ATF Office, they will direct you to the person to talk to.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks
Todd

G-lock
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
They all do.... Dicks, Gander, Dunhams. It just seems that more often than not, it's Dunhams who's inquiry puts up a red flag.

Contact the AFT, and acquire you own unique PIN, and do away with this crap. About the only thing you can do to avoid retailers BS.

Gander, at least in Lansing will use the CPL, Jay's in Clare as well.

ublyhunter
12-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I get declined also with CPL,

Gandermountain, Dunhams, Dicks Sporting Goods.

CPL does not matter.

My issue is that a person with the same name as me has a criminal record...it appears the birthday may be the same as well.

I have a CPL and a clean record and I'm fighting issues all the time when I cross the border. I'm in the process of fixing all of this with some border control paper work stuff.

TAC
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm fighting issues all the time when I cross the border. I'm in the process of fixing all of this with some border control paper work stuff.

Do you have the new Michigan Enhanced Driver's License? That is supposed to be no hassle.

RayMich
12-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Gander, at least in Lansing will use the CPL, Jay's in Clare as well.Gander Mountain on Market Place Blvd in Lansing's west side will use the CPL when selling you a handgun. But when I bought a 20 gauge shotgun last year they still ran a NICS check. (Only took about 5-minutes) The guy told me that YES they use the CPL for handguns, but their company policy is to do a NICS check for ALL long guns. Makes absolutely no sense to me. :sad:

Dood
12-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I been purchasing my guns at Total Firearms in the Holt/Mason area.

No problems...I just fill out the paperwork and 'Wa-La'...I walk out with my gun purchase.
(After I PAY for it of course...haha)

You can also dicker on the price as well...

Just this week I purchased a brand new SS Super Blackhawk Single Action .44 Magnum/.44 Special with a 7.5" barrel.

I rather purchase from a smaller/local shop then a national chain store any day....