PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Chosin match at Capitol City 12/4/2010

Garandpa
11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Always a nice bunch, and a chance to shoot 200 yards with pits. Interesting twist this year: no shooting coats or gloves. Grab your M1 and your woolies and come commemorate this amazing battle.

http://www.ccrifleclub.org/newsite/web_pages/frozenchosen.htm

rifle guy
11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Garandpa,

Sounds like a good time to be had in Lansing! Just might go but I am a little picky about what I feed my M1's. Would you know what ammunition they plan to issue?

rifle guy @ LSC

mini4m3
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Sounds cool! What day is this though?

45/70fan
12-01-2010, 09:19 AM
For those not familiar with the Frozen Chosin: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/33876/485388

In November and December 1950, the 1st Marine Division was holding the area around the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea, when the Communist Chinese Forces came screaming across the China-North Korea border.

Garandpa
12-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Saturday's Frozen Chosin Match at Capitol City Rifle Club was excellent, with 24 shooters on the line in three relays. This has got to be one of the best values in Highpower, with 72 rounds of Lake City 30-06 ammo, a hot lunch, a commemorative T-shirt, and awards through 4th place provided, all for the $35 entry fee.

After registration, The match director took a few moments and related an excellent short history of the the Korean War in general, and Chosin Reservior Battle specifically. He did a superb job, and it was a very nice touch, setting the tone for the whole event. The match was then conducted smoothly and safely, with awards and lunch immediately following.

The course of fire was interesting and challenging, with four sighters and 68 rounds for record in five stages. First, an 8-round clip was loaded and there was an eight minute block-time for four sighters and four rounds for record, fired from the prone position with the pits scoring each round. Next came a rapid prone string of 16 rounds fired in a time limit of two minutes. This was followed by a rapid sitting string of 16 rounds fired in a time limit of two minutes. A very unusual string of rapid kneeling was fired next, again consisting of 16 rounds in two minutes. All of these strings used a standard SR target at 200 yards. Finally, a 50 meter pistol sillhouette was used as the target for the "rattle battle" stage, where 16 rounds were fired in a time limit of 60 seconds, each hit on the sillhouette scoring a single point, for a grand total of 536 points across the whole course of fire.

Conditions were perfect for early December, and although a chilly 31 degrees was the high, it was still nearly 50 degrees warmer than the conditions at the battle we commemorated. There was no precipitation, and almost no wind to worry about, with only a slight breeze blowing almost directly at the firing line. In fact, the calm conditions made for an interesting shoot, with significant smoke obscuring the targets during the rapids and making focus on the sights difficult, particularly during the Rattle Battle, where the sillhouette was barely half the width of the front sight post on an as-issued M1.

The winning rifleman fired an impressive 485/536 and took home a nice plaque for his effort, as did the second, third, and fourth place finishers. I was very happy to place ninth overall with a 423/536 after a dismal finish in last years event due to a loose rear sight. This year, everything was tight and right, and I have nothing to blame but the "nut behind the trigger" for my score!

These frozen Chosin events are really a lot of fun, and represent not only an excellent value, but also a great time to remember those who have endured the very worst to keep freedom's flag flying. There are at least three more events around the State that I know of (Linden, Ionia, And Kalamazoo) that are held during the winter months, and I will try to post links to the various club's websites as information becomes available.

I appologize for not checking back here after posting the link to Capitol City's website, but I have no affiliation with this club and only meant to help them get the word out about this annual event.