PDA

View Full Version : XD-9MM PORTED

RSF
04-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Ok, so i got one from john and a case of ammo and off i went to day, 750 rnds later im back,

first off points very well in hand fast target pick up,
very low recoil and almost no muzzle rise

very nice fast resetting trigger, easy to operate controls.

now the ports were no issue during speed rocks or modified retion drills to say the least. this will be shown to all during the next class this weekend

accuray was outstanding and rapid fire runs were awesome as well.
controlled pairs and failure drills were a snap had one magazine with a problem of ftf/fte issues go figure it was one of the hicaps! we will see as it gets worked out abit more this weekend, overall i give it a huge thumbs up as a carry gun

Meta4
04-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Two questions...

First, is this a 4" Service or 5" Tactical model?

Second, what lead you to purchase a V10 (ported) model for carry? The increased muzzle flash and burn risk seems too great for the minor increase in muzzle control gained from porting a 9mm handgun.

If you ever decide to carry that pistol in an unported configuration, you can purchase a solid aftermarket barrel from EFK (and maybe BarSto?).

My next handgun will be another XD, probably a ported 5" Tactical in .40.

XD's are tons of fun and one of the best carry pistols on the market. Have fun!

-James

RSF
04-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Uhmmmm Look up again!

there is no issue with port blast and having jsut shoot this gun in my friends range in his barn at night and able to get hits on 2 targets in very little light at 7 yds flash is no issue as i have said before. the muzzel blast is a non issue if you train with it in a proper manor in the class i just taught this was shown with this ported gun while wearing a thin shirt and firing a rapid string of shots from close postions, this is the 4inch i choose because i didnt have one! with the porting i can runoff a 16 rnds in a such rapid controlled fashion that i keep all the rnds in a very small area on the target and even more control while shooting on the move and support hand drills or man down drills. it is a great gun no plains on changing barrels.

Knimrod
04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Deputy did demonstrate that the porting is indeed, a non-issue. After watching him shoot several strings of rapid fire using various techniques, I'm convinced. The accuracy was remarkable and his clothing and skin didn't seem any the worse for wear. :thumbup:

Meta4
04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Fantastic! I guess my next XD will ported, then!

-James

RSF
04-12-2005, 08:47 AM
no remember dont go and try to shoot from a standard close contact postion you need to learn to use the modified postion to do so or you will risk injury from ports i train and teach the modified postion as it is a good defensive postion and easiser to defend against grabs as well.

when drawing the gun as soon as you clear holster the gun is rolled outward almost 90 degrees and the grip is placed against your body almost level with mid rib cage

Jim Simmons
04-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Steve, you're a big strong guy with big hands. In a 9mm, is the porting going to make any real difference in recoil and time to back on target?

I wish there were a way to do a blind test. Take three of the same handgun, one ported. Blindfold the shooter, have him/her fire multiple rounds from all three, and attempt to identify the ported gun, and report on the difference in recoil.

Unfortunately, I can't see a safe way to conduct a such a test.

RSF
04-12-2005, 09:25 AM
when using a timer i noticed a bit faster strings of fire on my rapid pairs!
i can notice a big differance in muzzle climb and sight picture, i shot 3- different 9mm of mine and noticed quite a differance in felt recoil. i also notice it when shooting on the move quite a bit

yes true i have no issues really controlling a gun with my size and strength,
. but every little bit helps but man when shooting on the move what a huge differance and wow on rapid strings of fire.
the porting offered better accuracy in rapid fire(tighter groups)

SIX29
04-12-2005, 09:34 AM
How does the "Modified Position" work if you are shooting "left handed"?

RSF
04-12-2005, 09:39 AM
same as right handed everythnig is trained in mirror image

Jim Simmons
04-13-2005, 08:58 AM
I haven't seen an XD in real life, but on the website, they look like Glock wannabes. How do they compare to their Glock counterparts?

RSF
04-13-2005, 09:05 AM
better in my thought better trigger system, i like the grip saftey, higher hand axis for us big handed guys no more slide bite, seams to point better for me at least ambi mag release jsut pain old feels good

Knimrod
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm not the expert Deputy is but IMHO, the XDs out-Glock the Glocks. One significant difference is the grip angle. The XD has a 105 degree grip angle with a flat mainspring housing (like a 1911) while the Glock has a 107 degree grip angle. For me, the XD is a lot more comfortable to hold, aim and shoot. The trigger feels more like a 1911 too. The grip safety is a great feature and the slide "locks" unless the grip safety is pressed making hostering safer. Takedown is more like a Sig than a Glock.

I never thought I'd own a "tupperware" gun but I'm thrilled with my XD.

Jim Simmons
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Hmm. I may have to try one.

Do they make one in .45 ACP? I know they're selling them in .45 GAP.

Divegeek
04-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Sorry Jim, doesn't look like they have a .45 ACP model yet. Chances are they will have to rework the whole frame and widen the grip out a bit front to back to accomadate the longer ACP cartridge.

RSF
04-13-2005, 03:50 PM
just get a 40 or 9mm

Kurgan
04-13-2005, 08:39 PM
My wife has two 9mm XD's (standard 4" barrel & tactical 5" barrel) and the first thing I've noticed is that the finish on the slide and barrel are garbage compared to the Glock's finish.

My G34 has over 20,000 rounds through it and gets cleaned once a year whether it likes it or not. There is far less wear on that slide and barrel compared to either XD, one of which has less than 500 rounds through it.

RSF
04-13-2005, 08:55 PM
yes the xd finish sucks but, i dont care a finsih is a finish if it runs and works i dont care what it looks like as long as it works when i need it i might think of a robar finish

bluethunder
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
yes the xd finish sucks but, i dont care a finsih is a finish if it runs and works i dont care what it looks like as long as it works when i need it i might think of a robar finish

Reminds me of "White Men Can't Jump"(Woody Harelson ?), something about better to look bad and win, than look good and loose.