PDA

View Full Version : AR Build Question

mitommy
04-08-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm thinking about doing an AR build this fall & I'm trying to decide between flat top (A3) or A2. I'd like to have both a scope and the iron sights.

Is the "tactical carry handle" the way to go? (It looks like lower and close to the bore would be a good thing.)

If so, what type of rings or mount do I use that will not obstruct the iron sights?

If not what would anyone recommend?

Also,
What is the difference between the A2 & A1 flash hider? What are the advantages of each?

bluethunder
04-08-2005, 08:37 AM
I believe the A-4 model has a higher Picitinny rail than the A-3(?). Another option is to use a A-2 upper and a "co-witness" mount. This allows you to use either the iron or optical sights without moving anything. Mine attaches to the carry handle and allows me to mount a EOTech just in front on the handle. SWAT magazine(March issue) just had a article about flash hiders. If you want the lowest flash, I think it was the Vortex, followed closely by Phantom, then the traditional 'bird cage. As far as differences between the A-1 and A-2, I believe the A-1 was the 3-pronged style and the A-2 is the 'birdcage' style.

sprink
04-08-2005, 06:26 PM
I used the handle you asked about, I think.

http://www.mgouc.com/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=166

View through iron sights.....

http://www.mgouc.com/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=164

View of dot..........

http://www.mgouc.com/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=165

:D

Both sight pictures are better in real life, and the dot sits on the post if you look through both.

Freetime
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Sprink- I noticed from your picture #166, that your AR is a Stag brand. I was wondering what your opinion of the Stag brand is. The reason I ask is, I am LH and Stag makes a Southpaw Upper that is a mirror image of their RH model. DPMS also makes a LH upper but it doesn't have the ejection port cover but the Stag does. I've heard that Stag makes a high quality product but I've never actually known anyone that owns one! So I would appreciate any knowledge or opinion you or anyone else might have. I've been holding off ordering the Southpaw Upper until I could get a little more info on their product. THE DPMS and Stag are almost identical in price bit I prefer the ejection port cover as offered by Stag. Thanks
Larry

mitommy
04-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks Sprink for the pictures. Nice set-up you have there.
Now I understand that the iron sights look thru the scope.

Is that the RRA "tactical handle?"

I plan to use a Simmons ProDiamond Rifle Scope. I guess it comes down to what height rings to use.

Thanks again.
I'm sure I will have more questions as I narrow down my plans.

sprink
04-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Larry, the rifle is a home-build made on a Stag lower I bought from Karcent. The lower is high quality, but I don't know anything personally about their uppers.

Is that the RRA "tactical handle?"

I bought it loose from a guy who had RRA parts, so I think so, but can't be sure. I'll be at LGC tomorrow for the 3 gun match.

bluethunder
04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
The reason I ask is, I am LH and Stag makes a Southpaw Upper that is a mirror image of their RH model. DPMS also makes a LH upper but it doesn't have the ejection port cover but the Stag does.

My son's a southpaw, too. I'd be interested in anything you could find out, Larry. I thought Stag was the only producer of lefties. :oops: To me, the ejection cover is a good idea. And Greg, how you like that Tactical charge handle? Thanks,