PDA

View Full Version : Safe Locks

Jackam
12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm in the market for another safe.
I have two high end full sized safes with combination locks. I feel very secure that, short of a locksmith, nobody is getting in.

I have three secure-vault (handgun style) safes that are electronic. These safes are basically to keep the honest man honest, and to keep young minds from investigating. I don't think they are very secure. If you know the factory sequence and have an external battery, you're in.

My question is about the higher end, full size safes that have the electronic locks. Are they as secure (and dependable) as a combination lock?

What's been your experience with the electronic locks on full size safes?

snowdog
12-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a sergeant electronic lock on my Liberty full size safe. No problems, just change the battery every couple years, you'll hear it getting slower (by a millisecond or two) also when the batteries are getting low/down for a warning. Otherwise ok by me, had the safe for about 10 years. Now if it's secure after a nuclear attack and the related EMF, that I don't know. But I don't think I'll have worry about that, but ya never know.

dhrith
12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm in the market for another safe.
I have two high end full sized safes with combination locks. I feel very secure that, short of a locksmith, nobody is getting in.

I have three secure-vault (handgun style) safes that are electronic. These safes are basically to keep the honest man honest, and to keep young minds from investigating. I don't think they are very secure. If you know the factory sequence and have an external battery, you're in.

My question is about the higher end, full size safes that have the electronic locks. Are they as secure (and dependable) as a combination lock?

What's been your experience with the electronic locks on full size safes?

I can't vouche for dependable but no, they are not as "secure". Not because they are physically weaker, but easier to bypass. Does Joe schmuck the jackhole thief know the necessary info? Not too damn likely. Irregardless I don't buy them.

gale
12-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Hey, I also give my vote to the electronic lock. I have also used it for a very long time but till now never got any issue with them. They have always performed to my expectation. I think they are secure enough. But I would advice you to do a thorough research according to your need.

msbcomputer
12-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Best thing about the keypad locks is you can open the safe in the dark. I've had a Cannon safe for 6 years with no issues.

usmcpaul
12-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I called a local locksmith and he said that he has not had any service calls for the electronic type for failure reasons. With that being said I still chose the combination style, I dunno why, but it makes me feel better.

hopeitsfast
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I have an electric Cannon and i don't have any issues with it. I've only had for a year or two though.

hopeitsfast
12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I can't vouche for dependable but no, they are not as "secure". Not because they are physically weaker, but easier to bypass. Does Joe schmuck the jackhole thief know the necessary info? Not too damn likely. Irregardless I don't buy them.
Do you really think someone would try and "bypass" the locking mechanism, regardless if it's electric or mechanical? There are tools that will cut those safes open pretty quickly, why screw with the lock at all?

Buzzcat
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
My point of view when it comes to safe locks is that the fancier it is, the more likely it is to pose a potential problem for the owner.

Groo
12-27-2010, 09:49 AM
If "good enough" is good enough for you, just get a sheet metal type gun locker. If you want a multigenerational still works after you pull it out of the ashes of your burned down house, go for the mechanical. electronics get old and out dated, become undependable, can be worked around with more and more common more sophisticated electronics, but the high-end safe grandpa purchased used, is still a high-end safe.

BlueWing
12-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Best thing about the keypad locks is you can open the safe in the dark. I've had a Cannon safe for 6 years with no issues.
BINGO, we have a winner here. With Electronic locks you can be in the pitch dark and still open your safe without turning any lights on.
Lets see, you have small children so you are responsible and keep all your guns in the safe.
Some thugs do a home invasion in the middle of the night, busting down your back door.
A: do you want to turn on a light so you can use the dial to open your safe?
B: do you want to open your safe in the dark without any lights on?

Groo
12-27-2010, 08:49 PM
BINGO, we have a winner here. With Electronic locks you can be in the pitch dark and still open your safe without turning any lights on.
Lets see, you have small children so you are responsible and keep all your guns in the safe.
Some thugs do a home invasion in the middle of the night, busting down your back door.
A: do you want to turn on a light so you can use the dial to open your safe?
B: do you want to open your safe in the dark without any lights on?

I wouldn't recommend keeping a SD/HD weapon in any kind of safe.

There are quick access options out there. A safe about security.

HDRider2002
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
+1 IMO safes are for things you dont' need immediate access to. my SD weapon goes in the night stand in a quick access box that keeps it away from my son, but is readily available to me if its needed. the otehr pistols and long guns stay in the safe.

I wouldn't recommend keeping a SD/HD weapon in any kind of safe.

There are quick access options out there. A safe about security.

justin92
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
i leave my HD out But hidden good not kept in plain sight

but if anything were to happen its kept handy only thing you dont keep in the safe, but only if you dont have kids.

:coffee: