PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun slug and choke question

Izhevsk
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I just bought a 1949 Winchester Model 12 (12 gauge) with a 24" fixed modified choke barrel. Seems like it would be a decent all around skeet and small game shotgun. What I was woundering though, would it be safe to shoot rifled slugs though that barrel. I'm kind new to shotguns. I really like this shotgun and I would hate to ruin it due to ignorance. What are your thoughts?

Mike in Michigan
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
No problem shooting slugs until you get into the Full and Extra Full chokes. Many slugs have been tossed down a Full tube with no disaster, the more open tubes usually give better accuracy.

mechredd
12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
You might find that you'll have better accuracy with the choke. Remington actually recommends an IC for their slugs, but a Mod works nicely as well.

RPMO6
12-04-2010, 11:38 AM
What I was woundering though, would it be safe to shoot rifled slugs though that barrel. I'm kind new to shotguns.
Here's a couple of articles if you are interested:
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/guns-shooting/gf_aa106503a/

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

russianblood
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Like is stated in the Box of Truth link, different shotguns prefer different slugs. I tried several brands of "rifled slugs" thru my Saiga 20 and found the Brenneke 3" 1oz slugs to be rifle accurate out to 50yds while the Remington and Winchester 2 3/4" 5/8oz slugs were acceptable, they produced grouping twice the size of the Brenneke.

Izhevsk
12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the input. I was just wondering because the wall of the barrel, where it chokes down, looks really thin. It's not a screw in choke style barrel. It's a fixed choke worked into the barrel itself. I just didn't want to take it to the range and turn it into a banana peel. I'll probably have the range officer inspect it and see what his opinion is on it. It's a nickel steel barrel though, I'd imagine it would be pretty strong.

Paragon
12-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the input. I was just wondering because the wall of the barrel, where it chokes down, looks really thin. It's not a screw in choke style barrel. It's a fixed choke worked into the barrel itself. I just didn't want to take it to the range and turn it into a banana peel. I'll probably have the range officer inspect it and see what his opinion is on it. It's a nickel steel barrel though, I'd imagine it would be pretty strong.

It'll be fine. I have thrown hundreds of slugs through my full choke Model 12.

russianblood
12-04-2010, 10:01 PM
The lead of the shotgun slug is a lot softer than the barrel it's being shot thru. It will swedge down to size as it goes thru the choke.