PDA

View Full Version : Revolver question

45/70fan
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I had an interesting situation this week, while showing a model 10 revolver to a friend he cocked the revolver (S&W) The hammer stayed back until he put his thumb on it, then it released and would have fired had a round been under it. This is an essentially new gun that has been fired very little.

I checked another revolver I own also a S&W model 19 and the same thing happened but this is a well used revolver. In neither case was a finger on the trigger nor round in the chambers.

I have been able to repeat this with both revolvers multiple times, on other S&W revolvers I own the same thing cannot be staged. Any suggestions?

.44Smith&Wesson
12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
No clue. I tried to duplicate it as best I understood you describe, slapping my thumb off the hammer? But neither my model 10 or others I tried would do it.

No problems with the SA or DA cycles? Any work done on either gun? Try posting on S&W forum? lotta experts there.

Paragon
12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
It sounds like you are describing "push off". Push off is a term used on single action revolvers that when the hammer is in full cock or all the way back a little push on the hammer well cause it to fall and fire. My old (retired) PPC pistol will push off because of wear in combination all the trigger work that was done to it. This is fairly common of heavily worked (and used) competition revolvers. You need to have a gunsmith look at it because it is an unsafe condition.

45/70fan
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Neither revolver has been worked on that I know of, the m19 is well used but the m 10 is essentially new factory. I sent off an email to S&W with a request for recommendations, hoping they will say send them in to the factory for look/repair.
Yea I know they are unsafe is why I'm questioning the mechanics of the revolvers.

45/70fan
12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
It sounds like you are describing "push off". Push off is a term used on single action revolvers that when the hammer is in full cock or all the way back a little push on the hammer well cause it to fall and fire. My old (retired) PPC pistol will push off because of wear in combination all the trigger work that was done to it. This is fairly common of heavily worked (and used) competition revolvers. You need to have a gunsmith look at it because it is an unsafe condition.

Push off is exactly what the Smith and Wesson repair shop said today, told me to mail them in.

TAC
12-11-2010, 01:20 PM
If they are modern revolvers, they should still not fire, even if the hammer is pushed-off. They have a safety hammer blocking device that gets in the way of letting them hit the firing pin, unless the trigger is actually pulled.

Also, don't let friends try to push-off your hammer. They can ruin the trigger sear.

As suggested, it's best to have S&W take a look at them, or preferably, a good local gunsmith.

JazzyJeff
02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I didnt think push-off existed in modern revolvers.

Guess you learn something every day.

TAC
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I didnt think push-off existed in modern revolvers.

Guess you learn something every day.

It's not supposed to. But if the gun has been worked on by some kitchen table gunsmith, abused, or worn badly, it's possible.

Life Member
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I had an interesting situation this week, while showing a model 10 revolver to a friend he cocked the revolver (S&W) The hammer stayed back until he put his thumb on it, then it released and would have fired had a round been under it. This is an essentially new gun that has been fired very little.

I checked another revolver I own also a S&W model 19 and the same thing happened but this is a well used revolver. In neither case was a finger on the trigger nor round in the chambers.

I have been able to repeat this with both revolvers multiple times, on other S&W revolvers I own the same thing cannot be staged. Any suggestions?
Did you buy the guns new?