PDA

View Full Version : Hunting near a roadway on state / public land

il Padrino
12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm aware of the 150 yd. rule regarding safety zones near and around buildings,

But not clear on hunting on state land or any land near a roadway, just exactly what does the following mean? Is it legal to hunt the land right up to the road as long as I'm far enough away (150yds.) from any buildings structures across the street from the state/ public land?

Hunting and Trapping Within a Road or Railroad Right-of-Way
You may hunt and trap within a road right-of-way where the adjoining property is publicly owned. If the adjacent property is privately owned, you must have permission from the landowner. Railroad rights-of-way are private property. Trespassing on railroad property is a misdemeanor. You must have written permission from the railroad company to be exempt from trespass.

Safety zone rule does not mention anything about roadways.

Safety Zones Around Buildings
Safety zones are all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building, house, cabin, or any barn or other building used in a farm operation. No person, including archery and crossbow hunters, may hunt or discharge a firearm, crossbow or bow in a safety zone, or shoot at any wild animal or wild bird within a safety zone, without the written permission of the owner or occupant of such safety zone. The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, target shooting, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any non-hunting purpose.

langenc
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
""Hunting and Trapping Within a Road or Railroad Right-of-Way
You may hunt and trap within a road right-of-way where the adjoining property is publicly owned. If the adjacent property is privately owned, you must have permission from the landowner. ""

You are mixing up safety zones and hunting/trapping on roads. Two different animals.

Safety zones are really just anti-hunting areas. There is no reason why one should not be allowed to hunt-esp archery- w/in 150 yrds of 'occupiable' structure. If one had a library of olds DNR rules I would like to know when archery hunting was added to that 'rule'?

It is anti-hunting cause you can target shoot all day in the 'safety zone' and no problem.

who dat
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Hunting and Trapping Within a Road or Railroad Right-of-Way
You may hunt and trap within a road right-of-way where the adjoining property is publicly owned. If the adjacent property is privately owned, you must have permission from the landowner. Railroad rights-of-way are private property. Trespassing on railroad property is a misdemeanor. You must have written permission from the railroad company to be exempt from trespass.This should explain it. You can hunt near the road, just not on the road.

Most roads, even seasonal ones, are 66' wide with right of way. The road may be a single lane or two track. You would be legal if you were off the track but still within the 33' from centerline.

il Padrino
12-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I know and am aware of what a safety zone is, and realize they are not the same as the area permiting to hunt near a road is different. What is not clear to me is the hunting near a roadway boundries.
I'm looking for facts, not opinions.
thank you.

Leader
12-06-2010, 01:50 PM
This should explain it. You can hunt near the road, just not on the road.

Most roads, even seasonal ones, are 66' wide with right of way. The road may be a single lane or two track. You would be legal if you were off the track but still within the 33' from centerline.

Actually, you may stand in the middle of the road & hunt as long as hunting is allowed in the area you are in & you have the proper licenses.
What makes you think otherwise?

who dat
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I know and am aware of what a safety zone is, and realize they are not the same as the area permiting to hunt near a road is different. What is not clear to me is the hunting near a roadway boundries.
I'm looking for facts, not opinions.
thank you....

who dat
12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Actually, you may stand in the middle of the road & hunt as long as hunting is allowed in the area you are in & you have the proper licenses.
What makes you think otherwise?Published rules.

ETA:

From a DNR website:

Michigan law prohibits hunting or shooting from a vehicle. The state’s recreational trespass law prohibits shooting game from a public roadway when the adjacent property is privately owned.

So my answer only applies to private land AFAIK.

Hockey9019
12-07-2010, 12:14 AM
As long as you are not shooting "across" the road, you can shoot from the roadway onto state land or the private property you own or hunt etc

Leader
12-07-2010, 06:39 AM
As long as you are not shooting "across" the road, you can shoot from the roadway onto state land or the private property you own or hunt etc

And as long as it is legal to hunt the land on both sides, you MAY shoot across the road.
Hunters are responsable for their shots, & you shouldn't shoot someone useing the road but hunting on, across, over, or near a road is not regulated.

brass hat
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Basicly put,if the land on both sides of the road is public land you may hunt in or next the road(not from a vehicle). If there is private property even on one side of the road you need permission from the land owner to hunt from the road.

maricar
12-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Do not throw or place objects onto railroad tracks--they can cause derailments. Stay three or four feet away from railroad tracks-rail cars are wider than tracks.

pkuptruck
12-27-2010, 02:28 PM
pardonn the interuption....

but WHY would you hunt from the road to begin with????

TomE
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Family Tradition ?

Leader
12-27-2010, 07:52 PM

If I'm walking down the road and a deer shows him/herself, I'm going to shoot it.
That is assuming I have the proper license & it is the proper season for whatever killing machine I have in my hands at the time.
This also applies to rabbits, birds, or even tree rats.
Also moose, bear, elk, etc.

WoW
12-28-2010, 07:09 AM

Varmint houndsmen do it on a regular basis.

fr3db3ar
12-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Cause I can see 800 yards down the road unobstructed :sniper: :D

pkuptruck
12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Cause I can see 800 yards down the road unobstructed :sniper: :D

+1 :score:

guess different people just define "hunting" differently....

WoW
12-29-2010, 08:32 AM
+1 :score:

guess different people just define "hunting" differently....

Where all have you hunted to form your definition?

willforu1
12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Varmint houndsmen do it on a regular basis.
I believe Coyote hunters that hunt with dogs do this

WoW
12-29-2010, 11:17 AM
I believe Coyote hunters that hunt with dogs do this

Perhaps pkuptruck is fleet of foot enough to keep up with the dogs for miles on end but, most hunters are not.

maricar
01-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Most hunting in Nebraska is done on private land. Permission of the landowner or his agent is required to hunt, trail game or retrieve downed game on private lands whether posted or not (including railroad rights-of-way). Always respect the landowner's rights. DON'T TRESPASS! It is recommended that you get permission before the hunting season.

Leader
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Most hunting in Nebraska is done on private land. Permission of the landowner or his agent is required to hunt, trail game or retrieve downed game on private lands whether posted or not (including railroad rights-of-way). Always respect the landowner's rights. DON'T TRESPASS! It is recommended that you get permission before the hunting season.

Am I missing something here?
Why would someone from Ohio post Nebraska hunting laws on a Michigan gun forum in response to a question about Michigan law?

PackRat
01-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Am I missing something here?
Why would someone from Ohio post Nebraska hunting laws on a Michigan gun forum in response to a question about Michigan law?

Lost???