PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD-M 3.8 9mm Review

Morfeeus
12-09-2010, 02:11 AM
SPRINGFIELD XR-M 3.8 9MM
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/lildogg171717/IMAG0007.jpg
I was looking to purchase a new handgun and wanted to go with a 9mm to be my main range gun. I also own a Glock 27(.40 cal Sub Compact) and ammo prices were killing me so I decided to go with a 9mm. After spending over an hour looking and gripping about 7 different guns, I decided to go with the Springfield. The gun comes with 2 mags, mag pouch, paddle holster, speedloader, lock, cleaning brush, and the other 2 different sized backstraps.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/lildogg171717/IMAG0005-1.jpg

I believe this would be considered a "compact" pistol. The barrel is 3.75 inches and the overall length of the rail is about an inch longer than my sub compact Glock. The real size difference comes in play with the grip. The grip circumfrence is actually smaller than my Glock and thats using the "medium" sized backstrap that came attached from the factory. Those with smaller hands will love this gun. The grip is about 2 inches longer on the XD-M but thats the price you pay for a gun that has a 19 round mag capacity(yes, i said 19!!) The grip also uses there new "Mega Lock" texture which just feels great and really minimizes the movement of the gun in your hand after each shot.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/lildogg171717/IMAG0003.jpg
The gun basically employs a 2 safety approach. The safe action trigger style like the Glock and there is also a safety button on the part of the grip where the webbing between your thumb and fore finger hold the grip. The sights are steel Dovetail front and rear 3-dot. The XD-M also has a ambidexterous magazine release. The bottom front of the rail has 3 crossbars(I guess you could call them that) that will make it great for adding an accessory like a tactical light or laser and being able to place it exactly where you want it on the rail. I have only owned this gun for 2 days now and I just can't think of a con except that it wasn't free....lol

Overall, I love this gun. I have always considered myself a Glock homer and never thought I would find another manufacturer that could produce a gun I love as much. I took it to the range today and fired my first 200 rounds thru it(Winchester 115 gr.) and was accurate with it from the first shot. There were no malfunctions at all(FTL, FTF, or FTE) and the recoil was real minimal. I bought this gun from Top Gun Shooting Sports in Taylor for $619.99. I could have went elseware and probably saved $30-$40 but when you buy a gun at TGSS for over $300, it comes included with a 3 month membership which includes unlimited range time. At range prices of $10 an hour or more depending where you go, I will more than get my moneys worth! The next pic is of my target at 21 feet(7yards). I'm not a professional shooter, but I think I did pretty well for it being my first time shooting this gun. The one shot that missed the black area happened when i blinked and got an eyelash in my eye as I was pulling the trigger....lol.
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/lildogg171717/IMAG0008-1.jpg

XDM 40 cal
12-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Nice write up on the XDm 3.8 9mm....

Many dont like the XDm at all,but the gun shoots just as good as any others..

Dabears!
12-09-2010, 05:51 PM
if you bought it new from a store today, get your 3 free mags from springfield!

XDM 40 cal
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
if you bought it new from a store today, get your 3 free mags from springfield!

+1 till the end of the year...
http://www.springfieldpromo.com/

Dabears!
12-09-2010, 06:07 PM
+1 till the end of the year...
http://www.springfieldpromo.com/
fo shizzle mah nizzle :D

Dansjeep2000
12-09-2010, 06:11 PM
fo shizzle mah nizzle :D
I don't speak ebonics can you please translate this mess?

Dabears!
12-09-2010, 06:17 PM
if you have to ask you'll never know, and are probably better off not being able to translate it. I am pretty sure that is looked upon as joke ebonics by the ebonics speaking community anymore though.

Dansjeep2000
12-09-2010, 06:19 PM
if you have to ask you'll never know, and are probably better off not being able to translate it. I am pretty sure that is looked upon as joke ebonics by the ebonics speaking community anymore though.
Ok guess I'm to old,

Back on topic.

Dabears!
12-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I meant it as a joke, I would never seriously speak like that.

mini4m3
12-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I meant it as a joke, I would never seriously speak like that.

Don't lie you're from Clarkston..... you reppin' that Sashabaw set cuz

sunshineman68
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info, I am looking for a 9mm and will check out this gun..........

Morfeeus
12-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the info, I am looking for a 9mm and will check out this gun..........

Glad you enjoyed the review. I went with a buddy of mine to the range today. He brought his Glock 27 that he CC's and I brought my XD-M. He wanted to try my XD-M.......after he shot it, he left the store with one of his own....lol.

bad86ta
12-17-2010, 01:12 AM
the xd-m is a GREAT shooting gun!

shenny88
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
are they made in Croatia?

Morfeeus
12-24-2010, 01:54 AM
are they made in Croatia?

Yes, they are.

mikent256
12-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Great review! I loved my springfield xd9 4" compact but it was much heavier than my glock. When I heard about this coming out, I thought "uh oh, this may take the place of my 26". Still not sure how much I like that gigantic grip but I will just have to try it out!

XDM 40 cal
12-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Great review! I loved my springfield xd9 4" compact but it was much heavier than my glock. When I heard about this coming out, I thought "uh oh, this may take the place of my 26". Still not sure how much I like that gigantic grip but I will just have to try it out!

Well Pm if you like to shoot my XDm 40 4.5 I'll bring it and you bring some ammo...
Right now i thinking of head to the range Sunday,so let me know..

mikent256
12-24-2010, 03:10 PM
I appreciate the offer! I'm in no position to consider a new carry right now but I may take you up on that!

XDM 40 cal
12-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I appreciate the offer! I'm in no position to consider a new carry right now but I may take you up on that!

Sound good...:salute:

snapshotdod
12-25-2010, 09:10 PM
NOTE* not trying to diss the gun.
My question is this, what is the benefit of a subcompact with a full size grip? Is it merely a weight difference that your looking for with it, my reason for asking is just that it seems for CC the hardest part to conceal is the grip, so I just wonder what the reasoning is behind keeping it longer and why shorten the barrel then. Again, not trying to say the gun is a bad idea or anything, I honestly am just wondering, because I just got done reading the review for this gun in S.W.A.T and thought the same thing.

Morfeeus
12-26-2010, 03:01 AM
My question is this, what is the benefit of a subcompact with a full size grip?

It's not considered a "subcompact". SA actually recently just came out with the "subcompact" model. It comes with 2 magazines. The compact mag has 13 round capacity. It also comes with a "extended" grip mag that has the usuall 19 round capacity. It's actually a pretty cool concept. Trying to CC? carry the 13 round short grip. Using for home prtection or OC? Use the 19 round full size grip mag. These are 9mm specs. They have only came out with the 9mm version of this weapon. If they do come out with a .40 cal version, I may just have to buy one although I do like my G27.

snapshotdod
12-26-2010, 05:03 AM
thanks for the info, just checked out there site and saw it, makes sense, I just don't understand the shorter barrel on the full size, what the are the benefits of the 3.8 v 4 or 4.25 barrel. Im just wondering if that was found to be the optimal size or something is all. I guess the size isn't really the issue when its such a small difference, but how does it affect the balance.

XDM 40 cal
12-26-2010, 09:12 AM
My question is this, what is the benefit of a subcompact with a full size grip? Is it merely a weight difference that your looking for with it, my reason for asking is just that it seems for CC the hardest part to conceal is the grip, so I just wonder what the reasoning is behind keeping it longer and why shorten the barrel then. Again, not trying to say the gun is a bad idea or anything, I honestly am just wondering, because I just got done reading the review for this gun in S.W.A.T and thought the same thing.

Well the 3.8 was made to be a shorter barrel "commander" style XDm...

It's, I guess POU was for a shooter that wanted something little More compact then the full size 4.5... Some like it,some dont.. True the grip is the same as the 4.5 as there they same fram..Still not as hard to CC with the right gear..
There is also from a marketing POV, having less round count might hurt the sales as well as the extra cost of making different mag's for the 3.8 if they shorten it..
Beside the Subcompact was commming out,i guess SA was not wanting to take away from the XDm Sc..
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/231/img1775n.jpg

*NOTE* not my SC wish though*...

bad86ta
12-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Im guessing that the 3.8 was springfields way of trying to put out a subcompact xdm @ miniumal cost to them... I as well really didn't really understand the purpose of it... I believe the 3.8 is still a nice pistol but I think springfield really nailed it with the new subcompact XDM....

Buffman
12-26-2010, 07:40 PM
the original XD Service was 4", so who knows if they just wanted to throw out a model with a 4" or so barrel. I like the looks of the 3.8 over the standard 4.5" barrel XDM. I like the compact, and will probably get one when they put them out in .40

snapshotdod
12-26-2010, 07:43 PM
i guess i just assumed they made the xdm in 4in like the service model XD I used to have. So, it makes sense to me. Thanks for the info guys

Dabears!
12-31-2010, 12:02 PM
we have a xdm compact on the way ill let yall know how it feels

XDM 40 cal
12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
we have a xdm compact on the way ill let yall know how it feels
Cool!
Feels pretty good... Like the back strap choices, and you dont have to pull the trigger like the XD...
the only thing is the small mag need a pinky plate...For me..:bounce:

Dabears!
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Cool!
Feels pretty good... Like the back strap choices, and you dont have to pull the trigger like the XD...
the only thing is the small mag need a pinky plate...For me..:bounce:
pearce doesnt have a pinky ext for it yet =[

felt it and it felt AMAZING
it lasted in the shop all 30 mins

Jerbear1098
12-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Here's the link for the XDm compact.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_1.html

Looking at getting one after the first of the year. Too late now.

XDM 40 cal
12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
pearce doesnt have a pinky ext for it yet =[

felt it and it felt AMAZING
it lasted in the shop all 30 mins

Top Gun has a Bitone 9mm on the shelf right now...

Jerbear1098
12-31-2010, 07:02 PM
I'll see if they have a black one for carry. not fond of carrying a bi-tone, but that's just me.

XDM 40 cal
12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll see if they have a black one for carry. not fond of carrying a bi-tone, but that's just me.

They had a Black one.... I'm pretty sure they will have one this week comming up...
Ask for steve or randy...

JimSig
12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
I am sold on the 3.8.. I have to wait for more shooters reviews.

XDM 40 cal
12-31-2010, 09:40 PM
I am sold on the 3.8.. I have to wait for more shooters reviews.

Well to see more reviews you need to peek over at XDtalk.com
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/142440-xdm-3-8-review.html
Also it does come in 40cal...:banana:

http://www.defensereview.com/springfield-armory-xdm-9-3-8-short-barrel-high-capacity-20-rounds-9mm-pistol-for-concealed-carry-ccw/

http://www.defensereview.com/springfield-armory-xdm-9-3-8-short-barrel-high-capacity-20-rounds-9mm-pistol-for-concealed-carry-ccw/

thatguy423
12-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I actually bought an XDM for dirt cheap off a guy hurting for money.. Needless to say it is long gone.. High bore axis in comparison to other comparable weapons caused unnecessary muzzle flip.. Not to mention the fact that when you get the mags really filthy by dropping them onto the earth 1 too many times they become less than reliable to put it nicely.. Buy a Glock, M&P, or a Sig if you want the most reliable platform (except a P250 of course) I thing the XD series is a decent gun but they really cheaped out on the magazines..

Morfeeus
01-01-2011, 04:44 AM
I actually bought an XDM for dirt cheap off a guy hurting for money.. Needless to say it is long gone.. High bore axis in comparison to other comparable weapons caused unnecessary muzzle flip.. Not to mention the fact that when you get the mags really filthy by dropping them onto the earth 1 too many times they become less than reliable to put it nicely.. Buy a Glock, M&P, or a Sig if you want the most reliable platform (except a P250 of course) I thing the XD series is a decent gun but they really cheaped out on the magazines..

Just goes to show ya that everyone is different. I love my XD-M. I havent noticed any muzzle flip. As far as the mags, I don't make a habit of kicking them around in the dirt...lol. When I chose the XD-M, I spent an hour or so looking at other guns(G17, M&P, Kahr, etc) and the XD-M just felt the best in my hands. After shooting around 500 rounds thru it so far, I know I made the right decision for myself. :badass:

XDM 40 cal
01-01-2011, 09:48 AM

The XDm is not a gun for everyone ... Shooting the XDm for me, I dont have a Flip nor do i have any flip with any handgun i shoot... Proper hands on the grip will keep the gun from flipping up...

I'm guessing your not use to the style and by you shooting Glocks or M&P with Sig's, some dont like the XDm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddgM-hsTBs&feature=player_profilepage