PDA

View Full Version : First-Time Muzzleloader

Meta4
04-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Uh oh, I'm going to break the four-month streak of silence! I'm looking at buying a muzzleloader "just cuz'" to add to my fledgling firearms collection. I'm trying to get one firearm from each major category, and have yet to pick up a smoke pole.

As such, I'm looking for recommendations for a relatively easy-to-operate muzzleloader, and I'm giving preference to an all-in-one "kit" that'll give me the necessities. I've seen a few of these at the local gun shop, but don't know the first thing about them. I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that'll mostly be a safe queen, but at the same time I don't want to go "cheap."

I don't know anyone nearby that has a muzzleloader, so I'll need something that's easy enough to teach myself on without losing any limbs or other signficant body parts.

Thanks!

-James

Jerry
04-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Are you looking for a traditional type of muzzle loader or a modern style?

Flintlock?

Percussion?

In-Line?

Decisions,Decisions,Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Let us know what you decide!

JohnT
04-21-2005, 05:26 PM
The break open shotgun style with the 209 ignition system. 50 cal.

Meta4
04-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Wow, that is a lot of decisions. I'm looking for something that is relatively simple yet not "too simple." In other words, if the system does all of the work for me, it would defeat the purpose. I guess I'll try to find some articles on the Internet that describe the fundamental differences and come back to you folks with a more descriptive question! Thanks!

-James

fbuckner
04-22-2005, 08:49 AM
ENCORE THOMSON CENTER If you want you can come out and shoot mine. I also have a hawken traditional.
There is one suposedly better than the encore but i cant justify 1400 bucks to shoot something that shoots 400+ yards???. especially down here in the howell area not to many 400 yard shots that dont have a house somewhere beyond. besides the ncore you can switch out barrels in about 30 seconds. and shoot some other caliber rifle IMO.

RSF
04-22-2005, 08:54 AM
what are slamming my Ultimate, lol i had encore and omegas love them both great guns cant go wrong with either or. simple get a box or triple 7 pellets some 250 grain sst/shockwave bullets

load 2 pellets one bullet sabot combo add 209 cap and fire this load has been a very constiant load i shot in 4 omegas/encores

fbuckner
04-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I cant slam that ultimate I think its a nice gun but as far as really any shooting in michigan its to much as far as practical range. It would be the best for shooting muleys or elk out west with a reported range of 400 yards Im pretty sure i should achieve 250 with the encore plenty enough for anywhere in michigan. Besides Steve not many people here are pushing or over 300 lbs like us and shooting 250 grains of pellets is a big arse load. You have to admit it kicks like a frikin mule.

RSF
04-22-2005, 09:08 PM
nope it dont! lol and iam only295! lol

i have a few places were i can get 400yd in hiilsdale. but i have killed a lot of deer with my encore out to 250

I only shhot the 200 grain load and besides you dant have to shoot that big a charge it is still 150fps faster than a standard smokepole but then again it is expensive i alway recommned the omega or encore to most jsut ask wes and sandie

Autumnlovr
04-23-2005, 09:20 AM
James....watch out for this "Deputy" guy. He talked me into buying one of those Ultimates for my first muzzleloader. I just got that call that mine's ready so I can't give any review on it yet. My hubby has the T/C Omega and likes it. If you go with the in-line, be prepared to listen to the folks who tell you "it's not a real muzzleloader". But, it's your choice.

fbuckner
04-23-2005, 08:57 PM
oh they are real you shove it down the barrel it muzzle loads. And Steve BS 295lbs Im almost 8-10 inches shorter than you and you dont fit any better through the snipper tower door. And im 6'2 270lbs
trust me you shove 200-250 grains in that beast and she will kick back autumnlovr.

RSF
04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
really rick i was jsut on the scale at the doctors the trouble is the chest and shoulders really, but on the other hand that 200 grain is a powder puff since lauren hunts with an 06 and several big boomer handguns she can handlei t

RSF
04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Humm maybe we should make the door bigger! lol

fbuckner
04-25-2005, 03:41 AM
Yes we should, Carpet ,heat,finish the insulation and make the lower level.
way to much work around that place

RSF
04-25-2005, 07:48 AM
well let me know lot of time this summer any turkeys yet

fbuckner
04-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Our turkey population seems to be residing just the other side of the river on the state land. Ive called them to locate and thats where they answer from.

bluethunder
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
but on the other hand that 200 grain is a powder puff since lauren hunts with an 06 and several big boomer handguns she can handlei t

I've seen her shoot a .35 Remington T/C. Quite well, might I add. 8)