PDA

View Full Version : Defending Against Tazers and Stun Guns

Brian
04-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I've been seeing a lot of advertisements for the civilian version of tazers and I got to thinking about how a cpl carrier could defend themselves against such a device if a bad guy got the idea to use one in a robbery or mugging. Now a tazer wouldn't be considered a deadly weapon because it is a "less lethal" device however, knowing that if the goblin disables you and hence gets your gun as a prize, do you use deadly force against him?

No specific scenario, just a question.

If you had the chance would you, should you take the shot?

How about this, if you have a bad heart or a pacemaker in your chest and you know from previous stories that a shot from a tazer or stun gun would likely kill you, how would you react to someone "armed" with only a tazer or stun gun.

Anybody else been thinking about this?

RSF
04-27-2005, 12:03 PM
the issue hear is retreat as quicly as possible create distance, got off the line of threat with then old style contact must be made to use them, as far as the shot goes well it is choice you must make when that happens, now i would be more worried about pepper spray being deployed against you than a tazer

Divegeek
04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
If I was confronted by a Goblin armed with a Tazer, I would be in fear of great bodily harm, death or forced sexual penetration. Therefore after fullfilling my "attempt" at retreat I would drop said goblin like a bad habit.

jpeos
04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't be worried about an attacker taking my gun, wallet, or watch after zapping me -- I'd be worried about being killed while lying on the ground completely unable to defend myself. I'll take my chances with a jury.

- John

Brian
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm more concerned about tazers or stun guns than I am pepper spray. I have a pretty high pain tolerence and I should be able to fight my way out of a pepper spray confrontation or at least retain my gun long enough to be a problem for the bad guy. With a tazer, well laying on the ground flopping around like a fish waiting for the bad dude to have his way just isn't my style. Of course outside I would retreat as far and as fast as possible but in the home I think I would depend on a disparity of force argument and try to get off the fastest first shot I could make. Of course arm chair quarterbacking is just that, nobody knows whats going down untill it goes down.

Just something to think about.

ultrarider
04-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Without trying to hi-jack this thread. I heard on the news today that a local BG has been using a tazer for home burglary. Home owner answers a knock at the door and gets zapped with the tazer. This could be very bad news for an unsuspecting woman.

Brian
04-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Bad news indeed. As soon as I started seeing the ads for these things I wondered how long it would be before the BG's started using them.

If you have a link to the news article maybe you could post it.

BigDaddy40
04-28-2005, 02:06 AM
Without trying to hi-jack this thread. I heard on the news today that a local BG has been using a tazer for home burglary. Home owner answers a knock at the door and gets zapped with the tazer. This could be very bad news for an unsuspecting woman.

that's what they invented peep holes for. a foot jammed sideways against the door if it's a stranger, hand on weapon asking them what the hell they want

karcent
04-28-2005, 06:22 AM
This could be very bad news for an unsuspecting woman.

Do Tasers effect women more severly than men?

G22
04-28-2005, 06:29 AM
A long time ago (80's) my buddy got a tazer, probably one of the first ones out. It was 50,000 volts? Anyways he zapped another one of my buddys through a leather jacket. He said Owww. (actually what he said I cant repeat here!!). It did not incapacitate him in any way. He said it felt like a bunch of needles poking him. I don't know if it was because of the leather or just a whimpy tazer. I know they make them with allot more volts that 50,000 now.

Divegeek
04-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Leather is a pretty good insulator. Not as good as rubber or plastic though. 50,000 volts applied directly to the skin or through a normal piece of clothing will be a lot different.

Knimrod
04-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Video: Three Cops get Tasered (http://media2.big-boys.com/files/3cops.wmv) (Demonstration)

...flopping around like fish is about right. :shock:

Cherokee
04-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Video: Three Cops get Tasered (http://media2.big-boys.com/files/3cops.wmv) (Demonstration)

...flopping around like fish is about right. :shock:

:lol: Got tears in my eyes, I laughed so hard....

Cherokee
04-28-2005, 06:48 PM
BTW, I thought tazers/stun guns were against the law for citezens to possess(sp?) in Michigan?

M1911A1
04-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Tasers and stun guns are illegal in Michigan.
we all know a criminal would never break the law and posses something they couldn't :wink:

LivoniaDan
04-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Check this one out

http://www.taser.com/law/video/high/bull_512k.mov

ultrarider
04-28-2005, 07:10 PM
This could be very bad news for an unsuspecting woman.

Do Tasers effect women more severly than men?

What I meant by that is women not only have the risk of being robbed, they also have the risk of being raped. I guess I think about that more than robbery because I have two daughters that I always worry about ... even though they're both married.

goldwing2000
04-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Check this one out

http://www.taser.com/law/video/high/bull_512k.mov

Whoa.

:shock:

That's... impressive.

Knimrod
04-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Here's a dashcam video (http://media2.big-boys.com/files/taserguncop.wmv) of a cop "tasering" a drunk who resists arrest...

The drunk is completely incapacitated but a slow learner. Very effective. Beware of the vulgar language in the video.

Thrindle
05-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I agree with the above posts. If some bad guy pulls a taser on me, I shoot him.

Jim Rund
05-08-2005, 10:11 PM
What a dummy.
just goes to show that those are nice for the police to have.
Also shows that you will be left helpless if a goblin uses one on you.

fbuckner
05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
I bet you put that guy in the pen with the bull the bull wont forget. And what that animal would do once the juice wore off wouldnt feel all that good. Those horns look about 18 inches long. COLONOSCOPY anyone