PDA

View Full Version : Stupid/quick CCW-class question...

BravoKilo
04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
I'll be looking to take a CCW class sometime this summer and was wondering if holsters are required for the range portion of the class? (i.e. what type of drills can I expect to do?). If so, I better start looking to pick up one sometime soon.

GrimReaper
04-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I went to http://www.counter-strike-indoor-range.com/ and there was no need for a holster for the ccw class, but for the advanced class you need a holster and mag pouches :D

karcent
04-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Depends on the instructor.

M1911A1
04-27-2005, 04:26 PM
The NRA Personal Protection in the Home class does not do any holster work. If your instructor uses that curriculum, then you will not need holsters.

fbuckner
04-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Marty If you want we can have another out here sometime

RSF
04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
this is one of the biggest issues i have this is a deadly mistake not to teach holster drills

RSF
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
i highly recommend karen and marty as teachers as well as simon richards, and the crew at the firing line they are all top notch

Fiddler
04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
this is one of the biggest issues i have this is a deadly mistake not to teach holster drills

I agree. PPIH is the NRA course that satisfies the Michigan requirements for a license to carry a concealed pistol, but as an NRA instructor, I am prohibited from teaching any holster work in the PPIH class. We really need to make some improvements there, in my opinion, but in the meantime, I really emphasize that the PPIH class is only the beginning, and encourage students to continue on with advanced training after the CPL class. I do offer to work one on one with them on holster work after the class, as well as referring them for advanced training. However, many students don't seem interested in further training once they get their certificate, which is really pretty frightening. Something as basic as drawing from the holster really should be included in the CPL class. The NRA has also been working on a Personal Protection Outside the home course, but there are liability issues holding up the release of such a class.

BravoKilo
04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
i highly recommend karen and marty as teachers as well as simon richards, and the crew at the firing line they are all top notch

do you happen to have any recommendations for instructors in/around Macomb county? I live in Utica/Shelby Twp., and while the drive out to Northville wouldn't kill me, I would like to find something closer.

I'll probably end up taking the basic course at DSC, as its only a few miles from my house... then I guess I could travel a bit further for advanced classes. Speaking of which, I know that they probably would vary in duration, but on average how many hours/days are the advanced courses?

Thanks

RSF
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
i recommend you travel to a good instructor and not skimp, you only cheat yourself and those whom depend on you. I go with karen and marty or simon richards. being sowm of the best i have ever delt with i can not comment on counter strike! as i have never trained with them or taught with them i have on the other hand trained and taught with several others and only those get my stamp of good no ******** no war stories no ego boosting, as far as advanced course go, on average of 6-8 hrs and 600-1000 rnds of ammo and 1 day some times 2 depending on class request but dont do not skimp many say they had good teachers but what makes a good teacher? remember there are no bad students just bad teachers.

RSF
04-27-2005, 05:21 PM
i also like the guiys at the firing line! NOTE iam not bashing the guys at counter strike! i have never taught with them or trained by them i have taught with simion and karen and marty and a few others but those are the ones i highly recommend. simon is doing classes at gander mtn novi and peters still i belive. and he is a great guy as well

Combat Commander
04-27-2005, 05:23 PM
And another vote for Karen and Marty great instructors.

Barbara
04-28-2005, 04:47 AM
remember there are no bad students just bad teachers.

Hey, that's not what you told me. You told me I should get a shotgun and pray more!

:D :? :D