DLL9MM
12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Coming to Total Firearms indoor range
Glock Firearms Shooting Match
Saturday, January 8, 2011 9am – 5pm Sunday, January 9, 2011 9am – 3pm
Saturday, February 12, 2011 9am – 5pm Sunday, February 13, 2011 9am – 3pm
Saturday, March 12, 2011 9am – 5pm Sunday, March 13, 2011 9am – 3pm
Prizes will be awarded!
Shirts, hats, knives, trophy plaques & more! Even a Glock pistol!
• All Glock shooters welcome! You must compete with a stock Glock pistol – no unlimited class. Loaner guns are available.
• GSSF membership required and you must shoot in two of three months to have scores registered and be entered for prizes.
• To join GSSF, visit www.gssfonline.com, call GSSF at 770-319-4780 or join at the match.
• Match registration is $15 per 50-round course of fire.

TOTAL FIREARMS
1380 N. CEDAR ST.
MASON, MI 48854

DLL9MM
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone plan on going?

russianblood
12-13-2010, 08:11 PM
I'll try to make it to one. It's too close not to. Might as well use my GSSF membership for something other than spending money. :)

SpaceOddity
12-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Whoaa Mason? That's awesome. Closest match I've ever seen.

DLL9MM
12-18-2010, 05:41 AM
:bfg2:

russianblood
12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm going to sign up for the January 8th. Who's with me? I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with my G38 for the match. It's what I train with and carry. I have a G17 but I don't shoot it often.

DLL9MM
12-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm going to sign up for the January 8th. Who's with me? I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with my G38 for the match. It's what I train with and carry. I have a G17 but I don't shoot it often.

I should be at all 6 events. I am on the Total Firearms Glock shooting team, so I may be helping out/working all the events. I believe there will be 2 Glock 19 prizes and maybe another pistol. There should also be Glock merchandise for sale.

russianblood
12-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Do I need to sign up ahead of time or just show up? I'm already a GSSF member.

DLL9MM
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Do I need to sign up ahead of time or just show up? I'm already a GSSF member.

You can just show up.

russianblood
12-18-2010, 03:52 PM
You can just show up. I forgot how much it cost though...

$15 per 50 round course. My wife gave me the go-ahead to be there so I'm going!

hopeitsfast
12-18-2010, 04:17 PM
$15 per 50 round course. My wife gave me the go-ahead to be there so I'm going!
Dude, you better edit this post before you get your 'man card' revoked. :poke:

DLL9MM
12-18-2010, 05:06 PM

+1 :pirate:

russianblood
12-18-2010, 05:35 PM

In my house, she's the boss. A happy wife is a happy family. I like being married and plan on keeping it that way.

Joerockhead
12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
In my house, she's the boss. A happy wife is a happy family. I like being married and plan on keeping it that way.

I'm with ya buddy..... Just let her " THINK" she's in charge...
That way YOU are really in charge ... Smart Very Smart,,,..:hardhat:

russianblood
12-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm with ya buddy..... Just let her " THINK" she's in charge...
That way YOU are really in charge ... Smart Very Smart,,,..:hardhat:

:yeahthat:

G36 Shooter
12-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Will be there. .40 or .45 mmmmm?

lotusexige
12-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Sounds fun. Never been to a competition before. Whats the course set up? IDPA? Id be running a G17

russianblood
12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Sounds fun. Never been to a competition before. Whats the course set up? IDPA? Id be running a G17

Go to http://www.gssfonline.com/courses.cfm to see what the courses are. I've never shot a pistol competition either.

turbolag23
12-20-2010, 09:21 AM
sounds like fun, i just joined GSSF to take the armorers course Jan 11th, hopefully i can do at least one of those matches.

RoadRunner71
12-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Not nearly as competetive as IDPA. GSSF is a good way to get your feet wet in competition. Very low stress. It is fun, though. And it's cheap enough to run through a couple of times.

That G17 will be all anyone could ask for, but you'll see people running virtually every model and caliber.

Show up, have fun!

RoadRunner71
12-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Will be there. .40 or .45 mmmmm?

Why not both?

DLL9MM
12-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Why not both?

+1 :getsum:

parkerinc
12-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Is it possible to be a spectator, I have never shot in a competition. I am a member of GSSF but would like to watch one to see how it works.

RoadRunner71
12-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes and no. On the indoor shoots, you are at the mercy of the particular range. Some have viewing windows, others do not. Obviously, the outdoor shoots are easier to watch.

Total Firearms does not have a viewing gallery, unfortunately. I doubt if they will allow anyone other than shooters and staff to be in the range, but you can ask. However, why watch when you can shoot? These things are for fun.

Even if you are a relative novice, these are still fun, and a good learning experienced. Safety is stressed, but they are not as intimidating as some competitions. Shoot as best you can and see if you surprise yourself.

I would suggest you bring your gear and ammo. Five minutes into it, and you will get the bug!

Hope to see you there!

Villainous
12-24-2010, 04:52 AM
Wow, I would love to do something like this but i don't think i am a good enough shot to be competitive with anyone here. Also, none of my friends have glocks and i don't think they would drive an hour and a half with me, and showing up alone to a first time event would be a little intimidating.

maybe i will talk myself into it!

RoadRunner71
12-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Wow, I would love to do something like this but i don't think i am a good enough shot to be competitive with anyone here. Also, none of my friends have glocks and i don't think they would drive an hour and a half with me, and showing up alone to a first time event would be a little intimidating.

Then don't try to be competitive. Just come and have fun. This is also a good way to learn what you need to work on. Trigger control? Sight alignment? Target acquisition? Speed? Fun and learning all in the same day. Wow!

As far as your friends, ask them if they would drive an hour and a half with you to go to a concert or amusement park. Same thing. No Glocks? They can rent one, or you could let them borrow yours.

And if you wind up coming alone, I promise there will be people there to help you figure things out.

Jackam
12-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok, This looks like a ton of fun. You guys have done a great job with the encouragement and the info! I have a few questions...

Are these Glock matches held throughout the year and in various Michigan locations?

Is buying into the membership (I'd get the family membership) worth it if we're just out to have some fun and never out to win it all?

Is there an age restriction?

Lastly, can one Glock be shared by three family members or would that be a pain in the rear?

Jessie Abbate encouraged me to get into this a year ago. We went the cowboy action shooting route instead. Ton-o-fun

1-504 PIR
12-31-2010, 12:35 PM

You know, there always has to be a "first time". Then when you shoot the match again in February, you will have experience. Besides shooting in a GSSF match is about as low stress as competitions go.

Also, I shot at an In-Door GSSF match at Silver Bullet three years ago and they scored the match using the Lewis system. Basically they took the total number of shooters and made four divisions based on the number of shooters, so you could get lucky and "win" your division based on a lucky cut off.

Just go shoot the match, you will be glad you did.

SeeTee
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Ok, This looks like a ton of fun. You guys have done a great job with the encouragement and the info! I have a few questions...

Are these Glock matches held throughout the year and in various Michigan locations? Two or three indoor matches,one is in Westland Feb,Mar, Apr. one outdoor in Brighton, late August

Is buying into the membership (I'd get the family membership) worth it if we're just out to have some fun and never out to win it all? that would be up to you, the family shooting together can't be a bad idea, you get a discount on buying guns, and you can win prizes in the random drawing at the match, without a winning score

Is there an age restriction?I am not sure the cut-off but teens under 18 do compete.

Lastly, can one Glock be shared by three family members or would that be a pain in the rear?yes, not really a pain, you can shoot at different times, or just have extra mag's loaded up

Jessie Abbate encouraged me to get into this a year ago. We went the cowboy action shooting route instead. Ton-o-fun

PM sent with some links to the action at Brighton this year, my first time in a match ever, I had a great time. a very laided back easy event.
for more details go to www.gssfonline.com

Jackam
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you SeeTee!
I got the PM with the pics and videos. Spent another 20 minutes searching youtube :)

Ok, we're in. Can't wait.

Are there any online plans available to make the six 8" plate targets?

SeeTee
12-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Some people just use paper plates, stapled to a a wood bar Horizontally or strung on a line for practice, it’s not as cool as steel but it is cheep and works.

The descriptions of the shooting stations in the rule book (you will be sent a copy when you join GSSF) seemed a little hard for me to picture at first, could just me being old and not been in a match before of any kind, anyway a fellow GSSF member from out of state offered and did walk me threw the stages and it was easy, when you see a picture and video it makes it easy to understand, at least for me it did.

scrapinby
01-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm meeting a couple of friends Saturday at noon. I'll be the 6'2" 270lb redheaded guy wearing some Buddy Holly style glasses (I only wear them for throwing darts and shooting).

Is there anything else I need to bring other than $50 ($35+$15), 50 rounds of ammo, my Glock and two mags? If I bring some extra rounds will it be possible to "get warmed up" before competing?

KayL
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
....my Glock and two mags?
5 mags are better.

Jackam
01-04-2011, 09:39 PM
5 mags are better.

Ummm.... I only have two.... am I still good to go?

1-504 PIR
01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Is there anything else I need to bring other than $50 ($35+$15), 50 rounds of ammo, my Glock and two mags? If I bring some extra rounds will it be possible to "get warmed up" before competing?[/QUOTE]

I haven't shot at their range before, so I don't know if they allow for "warm ups". However I strongly suggest bringing extra ammunition just in case you have to shoot a stage over do to a malfunction of some sort. Maybe your firearm doesn't malfunction, but if your target comes unstapled and falls half way through your course of fire and you need to re-shoot a stage. I've seen this at other events, so you never know.

"Better to have and not need than to need and not have".

KayL
01-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Ummm.... I only have two.... am I still good to go?
You'll just have to reload quickly in between. Two separate targets, A and B, with usually 25 rounds in each, shot in groups of 5... so 5 mags with 5 rds each gets you through an entire target.

Unless they are doing something differently than has been done at other GSSF indoor matches, it is usually a variation on the above.

Silver Bullet did matches with 10rds and 5rds per mag, but they aren't holding matches anymore, and their range distance is 75 ft. Duncan's in Bay City is the only range that can move targets simultaneously so they can write in reloads which is cool, and they stick with 5rds per mag. Their range distance is 50ft. I haven't been to Firing Line in ages so don't remember what they do anymore.

It will be interesting to see what Total comes up with.

willowofwisp
01-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Do you draw from the holster in GSSF matches (for some reason i think you dont)? I am thinking of going out Saturday and shooting my 26 in the match.

is it just 15$ or 15$ per course of fire you want to shoot?

KayL
01-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Do you draw from the holster in GSSF matches (for some reason i think you dont)? I am thinking of going out Saturday and shooting my 26 in the match.

is it just 15$ or 15$ per course of fire you want to shoot?
It's $15 per 50 rd 'match', plus you need to join GSSF for $35... and no draw from holster, only low-ready.

willowofwisp
01-06-2011, 11:08 PM
It's $15 per 50 rd 'match', plus you need to join GSSF for $35... and no draw from holster, only low-ready.

I'm already a member :grouphug:

KayL
01-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm already a member :grouphug:
Yaaaaay... !!!

I can't imagine Total would do anything too much differently from other ranges, but it will be fun to see what they come up with.

DLL9MM
01-07-2011, 04:23 AM
I am not 100% sure on the how they will have it set up, But I know we will need to shoot strong hand, weak hand, and in one string there will be 5rds, Magazine change then 5 more. I will get more details tonight.
:shiner:

Quantum007
01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm there.

Jackam
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Do you have to be there right at 9 am or is noon ok?

How long would one expect to be there total?

DLL9MM
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Do you have to be there right at 9 am or is noon ok?

How long would one expect to be there total?

Noon should be good.

russianblood
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I have no idea what to expect but I'll just do what they tell me to. I'm bringing 6 magazine, 100 rounds of ammo, 2 magazine pouches and a holster (though I know GSSF doesn't do draws from the holster) as well as ear protection. I stopped in Wednesday and the guys behind the counter didn't know anything more than was on the flyer.

Jackam
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Myself and my 16 year old will be there.
Hope to meet SeeTee and you others.

RoadRunner71
01-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Myself and my 16 year old will be there.
Hope to meet SeeTee and you others.

It's great to see the kids at these events. Have fun!

russianblood
01-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I just got back from the shoot. I was in the first wave. The shoot consisted of:
A
10 rounds weak hand at 9'
10 rounds strong hand at 15'
10 rounds two handed at 50'

B
10 rounds two hands 21'
5+5 rounds two hands 21'

All rounds were with a 15 second time limit.

I shot my G38 and scored 484 24X. This was my first shoot and I had a mild case of the shakes while on the line but once the shooting started, they went away.

I may try it again tomorrow with my Gen3 G17.

chevyman
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I Shoot A Glock 20 In 10mm will they let me shoot or is this gun to big. :badass: :flamethr:

Jackam
01-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I just got back from the shoot. I was in the first wave.

Grrr... snowing REAL hard! Don't know if the road conditions warrant an hour and a half drive....

How many people were there when you shot?

russianblood
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I Shoot A Glock 20 In 10mm will they let me shoot or is this gun to big. :badass: :flamethr:

Their range can handle everything up to a 500 S&W.

The crowds were just starting to come is as I was leaving. I actually got there before they opened. Here in the Lansing area the sun is shining and the roads are clear.

Jackam
01-08-2011, 01:20 PM
on our way!

russianblood
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I forgot to mention all rounds were with a 15 second time limit.

scrapinby
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I scored 464 with my G22. It was my first shooting competitions of any kind.

russianblood
01-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I scored 464 with my G22. It was my first shooting competitions of any kind.

Nice job! I'm going back out Sunday morning and try it again with my G17 this time.

DLL9MM
01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Just finally got home. Very good turnout (50-60 shooters) I helped out in the range for the whole event. I also shot today score was 475/500. :smile:
I should be there tomarrow as well.

DLL9MM
01-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Nice job! I'm going back out Sunday morning and try it again with my G17 this time.

See you tomarrow! :mrgreen:

Jackam
01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Waiting for our food to arrive at our table at Smokeybones now. Had a GREAT time shooting! The people that ran that event were really really really nice! The whole experience was wonderful!

My 16 year old shot a 419 with 15 Xs (he's only ever shot about 6 clips total in that gun)

I squeaked out a 443 with 15 Xs.

Thanks for the heads up on this one! We'll be ready next month. :)

scrapinby
01-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Just finally got home. Very good turnout (50-60 shooters) I helped out in the range for the whole event. I also shot today score was 475/500. :smile:
I should be there tomarrow as well.

Was this you?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/scrapinby/the_big_lebowski.jpg

1-504 PIR
01-08-2011, 07:59 PM
What distances did you shoot in this GSSF match?

russianblood
01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
What distances did you shoot in this GSSF match?

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1116483&postcount=48

Here's the post with the whole course of fire.

willowofwisp
01-08-2011, 08:08 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1116483&postcount=48

Here's the post with the whole course of fire.

what type of targets did they use? b-27's or idpa style?

russianblood
01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
what type of targets did they use? b-27's or idpa style?

Tombstone shaped with concentric circles in the middle.

http://speedwelltargets.com/cart/images/speedwell/d1p.jpg

Jackam
01-09-2011, 12:42 AM
I helped out in the range for the whole event.

Ok, trying to put a face on a forum name... which one were you? :)

DLL9MM
01-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok, trying to put a face on a forum name... which one were you? :)

On the range. Taller, black sweatshirt, glasses, shaved head, etc, etc. :-?

RoadRunner71
01-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Was this you?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/scrapinby/the_big_lebowski.jpg

Better be nice to this guy. He looks kinda mean to me!

scrapinby
01-09-2011, 10:23 AM

I was thinking you were the guy that was calling people back and helping Rick in the range. He kinda looks like the Big Lebowski guy.

Jackam
01-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Gotcha! Nice to meet ya :grin:

The bigger guy in there - is he a member of this forum? Looked intimidating as all get out but was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

I just can't tell you what a GREAT experience this was for my son and me. The shooting was fun, of course, but I have never been treated so friendly at an event like this. Even Cowboy Action shooting, where they stress that they are the friendliest bunch, doesn't come close.

I was also happy to have shown my Glock 19 to the Glock representative. I just wanted to know the exact generation of the pistol and before I knew it, he had it disassembled and was replacing springs! I don't know much about my Glock except that it's a blast to shoot. I know more today than I did yesterday :grin:

This event is still going on today until 3pm folks. Go have some fun!

russianblood
01-09-2011, 11:53 AM
I just got back from shooting it again. This time with my G17. Didn't do as well this time. 461 24X. I'm not use to my G17 as I rarely shoot it.

And I will agree that they were the friendliest people EVER! I cannot wait to do it again in March (I'm out of town for the February shoot >:( )

HoldHard
01-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Total Firearms does not honor Open Carry or even Michigan CHL licenses. There are two big signs outside indicating that all weapons must be unloaded and cased.

They also failed to mention that the GSSF match is not having an Unlimited class.

Would have been nice to know before burning $25 in gas and wasting three hours driving there and back. For nothing....

Total Firearms.... more like Total Waste Of Time

HH

russianblood
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Total Firearms does not honor Open Carry or even Michigan CHL licenses. There are two big signs outside indicating that all weapons must be unloaded and cased.

They also failed to mention that the GSSF match is not having an Unlimited class.

Would have been nice to know before burning $25 in gas and wasting three hours driving there and back. For nothing....

HH

Gander Mountain has the same type of sign but it refers to NON concealed carry guns. I'm sorry to hear about your "unlimited" class exclusion but I didn't know any indoor GSSF shoots has an "unlimited" class. As for the gun shop itself, they are nice enough but their prices are way too high to actually shop there.

DLL9MM
01-09-2011, 05:15 PM

HH

Actually they do allow concealed carry. They also teach CPL classses.
Also, they offered to let you use one of their 3 stock Glocks(no charge)
It was only a waste of time because you made it a waste of time.

$$$
01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I have heard the membership process takes a while when done online. I would like to shoot at the Feb match. Do you know if I can sign up right then?
Looks like a good time.

russianblood
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I have heard the membership process takes a while when done online. I would like to shoot at the Feb match. Do you know if I can sign up right then?
Looks like a good time.

Yes, you can sign up at the shoot. It's $35 for membership and $15 per shoot.

DLL9MM
01-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Looks like a good time.

Send in your member application asap(witin the next couple of days) If you don't have anything by the end of Jan. Call GSSF and get your member ID number. You should be just fine. It usually takes a 2-3 weeks to get everything.
I would do this personally or you can sign up at the shoot.

DLL9MM
01-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Gotcha! Nice to meet ya :grin:

The bigger guy in there - is he a member of this forum? Looked intimidating as all get out but was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

I just can't tell you what a GREAT experience this was for my son and me. The shooting was fun, of course, but I have never been treated so friendly at an event like this. Even Cowboy Action shooting, where they stress that they are the friendliest bunch, doesn't come close.

I was also happy to have shown my Glock 19 to the Glock representative. I just wanted to know the exact generation of the pistol and before I knew it, he had it disassembled and was replacing springs! I don't know much about my Glock except that it's a blast to shoot. I know more today than I did yesterday :grin:

This event is still going on today until 3pm folks. Go have some fun!

I don't think he is a member. Not 100% sure though.

HoldHard
01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
It was only a waste of time because you made it a waste of time.

GSSF Glock Firearms Shooting Match
Prizes will be awarded!
• All Glock shooters welcome! You must compete with a Glock pistol.
• GSSF membership required to have scores registered and be entered for prizes.
• To join GSSF, visit www.gssfonline.com, call GSSF at 770-319-4780 or join at the match.

TOTAL FIREARMS
1380 MASON, MI
517-699-0597

What was the big deal with excluding Unlimited class? It boils down to a column on the match scoresheet for "U" (Unlimited) or "S" (Stock) to separate the competitors. Some events even state in their advertising that there has to be a minimum number of competitors to qualify for awards.

When the question "Why?" was asked, the response was that there were only two options, shoot the modified G34 for no score or borrow a range gun. You are correct. It was my choice to not shoot a weapon that I had no prior knowledge of its maintenance, no opportunity to handle or even inspect the weapon as there was no area allowing that and no chance to shoot the weapon before the first shot of competition. That was my decision and it was based on years of experience. Once you see a handgun blow up, what happened to the person firing it is etched in your mind.

After shooting competition for over 17 years and having been a Range Master for numerous matches at the local, state and section level servicing hundreds of competitors, several things at this facility came into attention. When there is no designated "Safe Area" anywhere at the range, that is strike one. A "Safe Area" is one where a weapon can be handled, but no ammunition. Weapons have to be lubricated, function checked and in some cases minor adjustments have to be made before being shot. (Several other experienced competitors mentioned the lack of "Safe Areas".) All of this should be accomplished before coming to the firing line so one individual does not hold up the entire match. Providing a "Safe Area" away from the actual firing range is standard operating procedure.

There are two large signs with red lettering at the entrance of the building stating that "all weapons must be unloaded and cased". That indicates the owners are not friendly to the 2nd Amendment and specifically to Michigan CPL holders. Now every CPL holder has to disarm their carry guns and lock them up before entering the building. If this is the first time a competitor is going to shoot at this range, there is no indication visible from the parking lot that they honor CPL licenses. Strike two.

When there are posts on GlockTalk and this forum advertising a GSSF event with the words "You must compete with a Glock pistol" but failing to mention that Glock pistols with specific modifications cannot be shot for score, that's strike three.

Maybe those facts should be included in what is posted on forums for the February and March matches.

From a seasoned point of view, there were some serious deficiencies at this match. Maybe someone from Total Firearms should have come to another GSSF match to see how the basics are accomplished.

Personally, it's good to see that people had an enjoyable time at an entry level competition event. Maybe the range will take this as a learning experience and build on it.

Time will tell.

HH

poopheadfred
01-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Does anybody know how Total Firearms scored hits outside of the rings of the target but still on paper at the GSSF meet?

DLL9MM
01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
There are two large signs with red lettering at the entrance of the building stating that "all weapons must be unloaded and cased". That indicates the owners are not friendly to the 2nd Amendment and specifically to Michigan CPL holders. Now every CPL holder has to disarm their carry guns and lock them up before entering the building. If this is the first time a competitor is going to shoot at this range, there is no indication visible from the parking lot that they honor CPL licenses. Strike two.

I agree that the "Unlimited" info should have been posted and/or added to the flyers.
Aside from that, I will say it again, Total Firearms allows concealed carry.

Jackam
01-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Total Firearms allows concealed carry.

Hope they do cause I done didder.

russianblood
01-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Does anybody know how Total Firearms scored hits outside of the rings of the target but still on paper at the GSSF meet?

5 points for any round outside the circles. They used a GSSF score sheet that had the printed scores right on them. I saw them grade mine that way.

poopheadfred
01-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.
The folks at Total Firearms did a great job putting on their first GSSF match.
I have been to several GSSF indoor matches and never have been treated so well by the volunteers and staff at a indoor GSSF indoor match.
Sure there was a couple hiccups but I believe the folks at Total Firearms are willing to learn from any mistakes or difficulties and utilize that info. to make future matches even better.
Unlike one of other ranges that hold GSSF indoor matches.

Thanks again Total Firearms :clap:

scrapinby
01-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Hope they do cause I done didder.

Me too. My G26 stayed on my hip the entire time I was there.

DLL9MM
01-11-2011, 05:02 AM
It was nice to meet a few of you guys at the event. Hope to see everybody Feb and March :getsum2:

turbolag23
01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I hope to be at the Feb & March events. I notice the times go almost all day saturday and sunday. how long do you actually have to be there or is there a schedule for what goes on during the day?

russianblood
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
I hope to be at the Feb & March events. I notice the times go almost all day saturday and sunday. how long do you actually have to be there or is there a schedule for what goes on during the day?

You'll be in and out within an hour. The shooting itself only take about 10 minutes total.

turbolag23
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
You'll be in and out within an hour. The shooting itself only take about 10 minutes total.

Sounds good, i assume the earlier you show up the sooner they will be able to get you shooting. what if you sign up for multiple stages?

garrykolb
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
What was the big deal with excluding Unlimited class? It boils down to a column on the match scoresheet for "U" (Unlimited) or "S" (Stock) to separate the competitors. Some events even state in their advertising that there has to be a minimum number of competitors to qualify for awards.

When the question "Why?" was asked, the response was that there were only two options, shoot the modified G34 for no score or borrow a range gun. You are correct. It was my choice to not shoot a weapon that I had no prior knowledge of its maintenance, no opportunity to handle or even inspect the weapon as there was no area allowing that and no chance to shoot the weapon before the first shot of competition. That was my decision and it was based on years of experience. Once you see a handgun blow up, what happened to the person firing it is etched in your mind.

After shooting competition for over 17 years and having been a Range Master for numerous matches at the local, state and section level servicing hundreds of competitors, several things at this facility came into attention. When there is no designated "Safe Area" anywhere at the range, that is strike one. A "Safe Area" is one where a weapon can be handled, but no ammunition. Weapons have to be lubricated, function checked and in some cases minor adjustments have to be made before being shot. (Several other experienced competitors mentioned the lack of "Safe Areas".) All of this should be accomplished before coming to the firing line so one individual does not hold up the entire match. Providing a "Safe Area" away from the actual firing range is standard operating procedure.

When there are posts on GlockTalk and this forum advertising a GSSF event with the words "You must compete with a Glock pistol" but failing to mention that Glock pistols with specific modifications cannot be shot for score, that's strike three.

Maybe those facts should be included in what is posted on forums for the February and March matches.

From a seasoned point of view, there were some serious deficiencies at this match. Maybe someone from Total Firearms should have come to another GSSF match to see how the basics are accomplished.

Personally, it's good to see that people had an enjoyable time at an entry level competition event. Maybe the range will take this as a learning experience and build on it.

Time will tell.

HH

HoldHard: I am one of the many folks that volunteered our time for the guest shooters at the Total Firearms shoot this past weekend. I am sorry to hear about your experience and that you chose not to shoot with one of the well-maintained range guns that Total made available. I do understand your concerns about using a gun that you are not familiar with, and appreciate your concern for safety.

As for your criticisms of how the match was run, thank you for the feedback. The match was run 100% by volunteers, with the exception of the Range Officer. This was the first match ever run at Total Firearms, and while we strive for perfection, unfortunately, we are human, and some things were overlooked. Your feedback about stating on the flyer that we only have a stock class is terrific, and we will make that change prior to the February match. Also, your feedback about a "safe" area is great. Store policy prohibits handling firearms unless under direct supervision of store staff, so I expect that we will not be able to provide that safe area, but we will certainly explore that as an option.

You are mistaken about the store policy regarding carrying loaded weapons. The do not allow loaded weapons in the store, unless you are a CPL holder and you are carrying concealed. This has been true for as long as I have been a customer. I took my CPL class through Total. I carry into the store, on to the range, step up to the line, un-holster and unload, load, shoot, reload, re-holster and conceal and step back from the line, all under the watchful eye of the safety-minded range officer. I have seen the signed you refer to, but that was always explained to refer to unconcealed pistols. I will be sure to pass your comments along to staff that I know at the store.

So, as novices at running an event like this, we appreciate your seasoned point of view. Based on the other feedback we have received from many of our guest shooters, this match compared favorable with the other GSSF matches they have been to in Michigan. With your suggestions, along with others we have received, we plan to improve with every shoot.

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your constructive suggestions. We are listening and appreciate the feedback. Hopefully we can shoot together at a future match.

Regards,

Garry

scrapinby
01-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Is there any way to find out the scores? Also, since they didn't call me to pick up my free Glock, I imagine they are only doing one giveaway at the end?

garrykolb
01-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Is there any way to find out the scores? Also, since they didn't call me to pick up my free Glock, I imagine they are only doing one giveaway at the end?

Unfortunately, GSSF doesn't post them until the entire thing is over in March. We don't have a practical way to post scores although we are looking into possible ways to get them up and online. Keep watching.

garrykolb
01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Sounds good, i assume the earlier you show up the sooner they will be able to get you shooting. what if you sign up for multiple stages?

It is walk-up - first come, first shoots. On Saturday, we had about 50 shooters distributed evenly thoughout the day, so there was very little wait time. For folks shooting multiple guns, they could go with the next available group, or wait for a while if they wanted to. We have a few folks wait by choice, because there were several lively discussions going on around the doughnuts. :smile:

poopheadfred
01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
As far as a place to post the scores from the match that is real simple.
List the scores here and on Glock Talk in the GSSF or Michigan sections.

1-504 PIR
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know how the GSSF match will be broken down as far as categories? Is everyone grouped into the same class and the best score wins without any regard to the type of pistol?

For example, are the shooters shooting a Glock 27 in the same group as shooters shooting Glock 35's?

Or will it be based on the Lewis system?

russianblood
01-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I was told the categories are based on frame size. I shot one round with a full size G17 and another round with a compact G38. Someone said (didn't get the name) that if I shot another round with a subcompact I'd have 3 different chances to win (not counting the random drawing).

scrapinby
01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I was told the categories are based on frame size. I shot one round with a full size G17 and another round with a compact G38. Someone said (didn't get the name) that if I shot another round with a subcompact I'd have 3 different chances to win (not counting the random drawing).

GSSF's website says it is based on the Lewis system. The lady at the registration desk told me that I was welcome to compete as many times as I wanted (at $15 each time for the first two, and $10 each after that), but only the first time would count towards the competition.

garrykolb
01-15-2011, 06:05 PM
GSSF's website says it is based on the Lewis system. The lady at the registration desk told me that I was welcome to compete as many times as I wanted (at $15 each time for the first two, and $10 each after that), but only the first time would count towards the competition.

To the best of my knowledge, these are the prize rules:

There are three matches (Jan, Feb, Mar) that make up the competition. Shooting in any two of the three qualifies you for prizes. I don't have the information on how the placques will be awarded. Those go to the top scorers in each class, but I don't have the class breakdown. Only your first shoot in each match counts toward the scoring.

The prizes - the Glock from Glock and the two guns from Total and the other prizes are all being awarded via the Lewis system - random draw. Every time you shoot, you get another entry into the drawing.

DLL9MM
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Updated first page.

poopheadfred
01-16-2011, 06:28 PM
The prizes - the Glock from Glock and the two guns from Total and the other prizes are all being awarded via the Lewis system - random draw. Every time you shoot, you get another entry into the drawing.

I don't understand how the pistols can be awarded via the lewis system and random draw.

Typically the pistol from Glock is awarded in a random draw from shooters who have competed in at least two of the three matches.
Now the pistols from Total that may be a different story as that should be up to Total to decide on how to award the pistols they donate.
But it sure would be nice to have Total Firearms give the complete details on what and how prizes are to be awarded prior to the beginning of the match so we (the shooters) know the ground rules going in.

Hey Total hows about posting the results from last weekends match?

Medic124
01-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone plan on going?

Looks like close to a two hour drive but I would like to try it out and I am not sure there is one closer to the SE MI crowd. I might make the trek in February.

garrykolb
01-25-2011, 07:54 PM
As far as a place to post the scores from the match that is real simple.
List the scores here and on Glock Talk in the GSSF or Michigan sections.

Here you go (I realize there are some typos on model numbers but I don't have any better info)

Shooter Model Score X's
Brian L. 17 498 33
George G. 34 498 28
John H. 17 496 35
Chris H. 21 496 30
Doug C. 17 491 33
George G. 17 490 31
John H. 21 489 38
Jennifer D. 19 489 28
David N. 17 487 34
Chris H. 19 487 34
Terry D. 17 487 34
Kay L. 17 487 31
Al F. 19 487 27
Richard H. 17 486 38
Doug C. 19 486 32
Lois K. 17 486 22

Shooter Model Score X's
Ron R. 34 485 27
David E. 38 484 24
Garry K. 19 484 22
John H. 34 483 30
Dave G. 19 483 30
Dennis S. 34 481 32
Lois K. 19 480 25
Dennis S. 17 476 31
Ken P. 32 476 18
Duane L. 19 475 29
William B. 34 471 25
Loren E. 21 471 23
Jerod B. 19 470 31
Ron R. 19 469 20
Francis S. 23 468 18

Shooter Model Score X's
George M. 17 467 16
Brian L. 26 465 26
Garry K. 17 465 22
George M. 37 464 27
Michael R. 22 464 21
Daniel J. 22 463 22
Kevin S. 22 463 11
Francis S. 21 462 21
David E. 17 461 24
Ed H. 19 455 22
Mike F. 19 455 21
Kathleen J. 17 454 17
George M. 26 452 23
Tim F. 17 452 22
Robert M. 22 451 29
Duane B. 34 451 19
James M. 34 450 19

Shooter Model Score X's
Deanna S. 26 442 14
Phil Z. 19 441 21
Gregory O. 21 440 21
Brad N. 26 435 15
David R. 23 435 11
Nicole H. 34 433 13
Andrew T. 23 430 21
John F. 21 430 17
James K. 17 425 17
Brad N. 32 423 9
Phil O. 26 422 14
Ben W. 26 421 10
Carrie C. 19 418 16
Loren E. 17 414 8
Mike C. 17 413 19
Michael E. 19 411 17
Joel P. 27 410 15

Shooter Model Score X's
Bob H. 19 410 11
Jacob C. 19 407 14
Jacob C. 23 405 11
Dale R. 23 404 9
Jill E. 21 396 0
Loren E. 19 383 8
Wilbert R. 17 372 11
Darren L. 19 371 6
Jill E. 19 367 7
Becky T. 19 365 11
John N. 19 351 7
James J. 21 336 5
Arlona K. 19 335 7
Tim H. 23 325 8
Wilbert R. 19 281 1
Jill E. 17 247 4

Guest shooters
Shooter Model Score X's
James P. 19 487 27
Jim S. 19 475 31
Jack A. 19 443 15
Josh L. 23 428 15
Jay JR A. 19 419 15
Fred F. 19 319 6
Nick L. 21 307 2
Richard F. 17 239 7

scrapinby
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for posting the scores Garry. I'll be at Total tomorrow and was thinking about asking Rick to copy the scores so I could post them.

garrykolb
02-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Prizes will be awarded!
• All Glock shooters welcome! You must compete with a stock Glock pistol – no unlimited class. Loaner guns are available.
• GSSF membership required and you must shoot in two of three months to have scores registered and be entered for prizes.
• To join GSSF, visit gssfonline.com, call GSSF at 770-319-4780 or join at the match.

TOTAL FIREARMS
1380 N. CEDAR ST.
MASON, MI 48854

turbo54
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Hope im not being a retard, but what does "stock" mean?

Plastic oem sights only?
Trijicons ok?
ghost ring ok?

I understand no aftermarket connectors or triggers...

Can you have grip tape on the grip?

russianblood
02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Hope im not being a retard, but what does "stock" mean?

Plastic oem sights only?
Trijicons ok?
ghost ring ok?

I understand no aftermarket connectors or triggers...

Can you have grip tape on the grip?

Stock means it's as it came from the GLOCK factory. No parts added that weren't made by GLOCK (with very few exceptions such as Pearce mag extensions). Grip take is Okay.

turbo54
02-08-2011, 04:37 PM
So what about the sights?

scrapinby
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM

I used a set of trojicons last time. I think as long as you're not using some red dot race gun, you'll be OK.

poopheadfred
02-08-2011, 04:54 PM
You can use aftermarket sights as long as they are notch and post type sights.
Night sights OK.
No reflex sights.

DLL9MM
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM

I used my G19 w/ XS Big Dots.

HoldHard
02-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Prizes will be awarded!
• To join GSSF, visit gssfonline.com, call GSSF at 770-319-4780 or join at the match.

TOTAL FIREARMS
1380 N. CEDAR ST.
MASON, MI 48854

Bump

Match is tomorrow and Sunday.

HH

turbo54
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, that was fun. Shot one course of fire with my G20 and scored 469, then did another course with my G30 and scored 488. I guess someone today managed a clean 500!

poopheadfred
02-12-2011, 05:31 PM
500 eh.
Cheater:salute:

garrykolb
02-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Well, that was fun. Shot one course of fire with my G20 and scored 469, then did another course with my G30 and scored 488. I guess someone today managed a clean 500!

Actually, we had two 500s today! It was a great turnout. We hope to have another good turnout Sunday from 9am-3pm.

poopheadfred
02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Two Cheaters :wink: :wink:

poopheadfred
02-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Actually, we had two 500s today! It was a great turnout. We hope to have another good turnout Sunday from 9am-3pm.

Are you using the same COF as last month?

garrykolb
02-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you using the same COF as last month?

Yes. Same course of fire as January.

DLL9MM
02-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Hope to see some of you guys there today!

:badass:

scrapinby
02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Today I scored 477 with 35x's with my Glock 22. I also competed with my Glock 26 this time. I scored 486 with 32x's.

garrykolb
02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Today I scored 477 with 35x's with my Glock 22. I also competed with my Glock 26 this time. I scored 486 with 32x's.

Nice!:salute:

garrykolb
02-13-2011, 04:24 PM
What a great turnout! We had well over 100 shooters over two days and five 500s shot!

Looking forward to another good shoot on March 12/13!

poopheadfred
02-13-2011, 08:30 PM
You guys are doing a great job running this match!
Thanks

turbo54
02-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Definitely.... please pass on to the rest of the folks involved that all volunteers have been friendly and helpful, and range officer Rick friendly (for an RO) and safe.

HoldHard
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
The support staff in the waiting room said that "George" shot clean with 35 X's.

Hopefully the scores will be posted in this thread as they were for the first match.

HH

garrykolb
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
The support staff in the waiting room said that "George" shot clean with 35 X's.

Hopefully the scores will be posted in this thread as they were for the first match.

HH

We are planning to post scores. I am waiting for them to be compiled. We had for 500s, three with 35x and one with 38x, I think. Watch for scores before you quote me on that. We also had a 498 with 45x!

garrykolb
02-14-2011, 09:26 PM

HH

Scores are in! (Updated to include a second letter in last name to distinguish individual shooters)

Updated again 2/17 to make it a bit more readable

===============
Name (Model) Score-Xs
Brian Lu. (17) 500-38X
Erwin Le. (17) 500-35X
George Gu. (34) 500-35X
Richard Ha. (17) 500-35X
John He. (30) 500-34X
Chris Ha. (19) 498-45X
Terry De. (17) 498-41X
George Gu. (17L) 498-38X
John Hu. (17) 498-29X
Brian Lu. (26) 496-39X
Bill Ch. (17) 496-35X
Erwin Le. (34) 496-33X
Terry De. (19) 494-40X
George Ma. (17) 493-31X
Kay Lo. (17) 492-34X
Garry Ko. (17) 492-25X
Lois Ka. (19) 490-24X
Lois Ka. (34) 489-26X
Chris Ha. (21) 488-35X
John St. (30) 488-26X
Jerod Be. (19) 487-28X
Doug Cr. (17L) 486-33X
Michael Ri. (26) 486-32X
David No. (17) 485-31X
Chris Ha. (36) 485-24X
John He. (21) 483-28X
James Me. (34) 482-36X
Francis Se. (23) 482-22X
Bill Ba. (34) 481-32X
Alan Fi. (19) 481-29X
John He. (34) 480-26X
Anthony Ap. (17) 480-25X
Duane La. (34) 479-34X
Todd Mi. (17) 479-24X
Todd Mi. (19) 479-20X
Robert Mc. (22) 478-23X
Michael Ri. (22) 477-35X
Jennifer De. (34) 477-28X
James St. (19) 477-27X
Michael Fi. (21) 477-18X
Doug Cr. (17) 476-28X
George Ma. (26) 476-28X
Lois Ka. (17) 476-25X
Ron Ro. (34) 476-20X
Doug Cr. (19) 475-29X
Phil Za. (19) 475-22X
Duane La. (19) 473-31X
Dean Gr. (17) 473-17X
Francis Se. (21) 472-25X
Ron Ro. (21) 471-25X
David Ce. (Gen 4 17) 470-20X
Deanna St. (17) 469-21X
John St. (20) 469-19X
Dennis Sc. (17L) 468-29X
John Po. (34) 467-17X
Ron Ro. (19) 466-27X
Kathleen Jo. (23) 465-11X
Richard Wy. (17C) 462-29X
Garry Ko. (21) 461-20X
Kevin Si. (22) 461-19X
Tim Fl. (19) 461-19X
Garry Ko. (19) 460-30X
John Po. (17) 458-24X
Gregory O'. (21) 457-17X
Benjamine E.. (26) 456-20X
Philip Ot. (17) 455-17X
Jeff Bo. (19) 453-22X
Jennifer De. (19) 453-16X
James Ke. (17L) 453-15X
Kathleen Jo. (17) 452-15X
Brad No. (17) 449-19X
Duane Ba. (34) 448-22X
Farhad Si. (21) 448-18X
John Po. (19) 447-22X
James Ro. (23) 445-16X
Reed He. (22) 445-14X
Robert Hu. (17) 445-14X
Dale Ro. (23) 443-12X
Mike Cr. (17L) 442-19X
Dennis Sc. (34) 442-13X
Alan Fi. (17) 441-16X
Carrie Ca. (19) 440-26X
Reed He. (Gen 4 17) 439-19X
Lyle No. (22) 438-20X
Mike Di. (19) 438-10X
Dale Mc. (34) 436-16X
Kenneth Po. (35) 434-18X
Timothy Ho. (26) 431-18X
Timothy Hi. (22) 429-16X
Brad No. (32) 429-15X
David Ro. (23) 428-10X
Aaron Lo. (17) 427-18X
Edward Ha. (19) 421-20X
Darren Lu. (17) 418-7X
Art Bu. (17) 415-10X
Jacob Cr. (32) 401-8X
Daniel Jo. (22) 399-21X
Farhad Si. (23) 399-13X
Rebecca Ti. (19) 396-10X
Jacob Cr. (22) 395-13X
Kathleen Jo. (19) 392-13X
Timothy Ho. (23) 386-10X
Evan Br. (19) 383-16X
Michael Fi. (19) 365-31X
Nicole He. (34) 351-3X
Jill Ep. (21) 330-6X
Arlona Ko. (19) 321-5X
Carol Ha. (21C) 314-7X
Rebecca Ti. (17) 314-7X
Amy Bo. (19) 311-4X
Jill Ep. (26) 305-1X
Wilburt Re. (17) 303-9X
Jill Ep. (17) 277-6X

RoadRunner71
02-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Perfect scores aside, what about the guy who shot 485 w/24X with a G36! Ten round strings with a gun that only holds 6+1.

scrapinby
02-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Perfect scores aside, what about the guy who shot 485 w/24X with a G36! Ten round strings with a gun that only holds 6+1.

It's more than likely an error. They listed my friend as shooting a G32 in the first shoot when I know for a fact he was shooting a G35. It has to be a real PITA to transfer those handwritten scores to the forum.

Thanks for posting them Garry!

EDIT*
Maybe it wasn't an error. The same guy also shot a 488 with his 21.

garrykolb
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
It's more than likely an error. They listed my friend as shooting a G32 in the first shoot when I know for a fact he was shooting a G35. It has to be a real PITA to transfer those handwritten scores to the forum.

Thanks for posting them Garry!

EDIT*
Maybe it wasn't an error. The same guy also shot a 488 with his 21.

No typo! He's a stud. He also had the 498-45X!

scrapinby
02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
No typo! He's a stud. He also had the 498-45X!

45x's is more impressive to me than a 500. That's insane.

turbolag23
02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
is there any limit to rounds per mag or forced reloads?

russianblood
02-16-2011, 04:53 PM

10 rounds per mag. max except for the 5+5 round reload round. My G38 magazines only hold 8 rounds but I was lucky to have enough G37 magazine (10 rounds) to not have to reload during a round unless required.

garrykolb
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Since each string is ten rounds, no more than ten per mag is allowed. I don't understand what you are asking about with forced reloads. String five was a ten rounds string with a limit of five rounds per mag. Is that what you were referring to?

turbolag23
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Since each string is ten rounds, no more than ten per mag is allowed. I don't understand what you are asking about with forced reloads. String five was a ten rounds string with a limit of five rounds per mag. Is that what you were referring to?

thanks guys. ill bring 6 mags then.

yes thats what i was referring to, a 10 round string where u had to reload after 5. couldnt think how to word it.

garrykolb
02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
thanks guys. ill bring 6 mags then.

yes thats what i was referring to, a 10 round string where u had to reload after 5. couldnt think how to word it.

The COF isn't a secret since we've run two of three events, so I can spell it all out:

COF is 50 rounds in five strings. All strings are 10 rounds, 15 seconds.

Target A = 30 rounds
1) weak hand only, 3 yards
2) strong hand only, 5 yards
3) two hands, 15 yards

Target B = 20 rounds
4) two hands, 7 yards
5) two hands, 10 yards - two mags required - 5+5

Time is allowed for reloading between strings as needed. You need a minimum of two mags. Six mags will allow for no mag reloads needed.

Let me know if you need any other information!

--Garry