PDA

View Full Version : Rig-Rag/Rig Grease

malignity
12-13-2010, 04:39 AM
ITEM REVIEWED: Rig-Rag/Rig Grease

PURCHASED FROM / COST: Target Sports, $7 for the rag, $10ish for the grease.

PRO'S: I don't know where to begin. This stuff is awesome. First, one purchase will likely last you a lifetime. I polish up my guns regularly with this stuff and it's amazing. It coats with rust prevention grease, makes your gun shine like new, and works well as a nice lube. A TINY bit is all that is needed. A tip of a knife-full into the rag and then rubbed around the rag can clean all of my guns. I recommend this stuff to everyone who owns a gun; the sheepskin cloth is extra soft on even sensitive gun finishes. This stuff is absolutely amazing for long term storage because it's a grease, not an oil. There's nothing quite like it out there.

CON'S: It isn't free. Sometimes hard to find.

Overall Experience: If you see it somewhere, be sure to buy it. You won't be disappointed; I promise.

manic mechanic
12-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Really good product, been using mine since 05 and just starting to get a little thin in the middle.

Batman
12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree, I've been using the stuff for years. You can sometimes buy a package deal with a big tub of grease and a Rig Rag at the gun shows for $20.

dougwg
12-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Best stuff made for it's purpose.

sse
12-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Removed by the moderator

oldskoolford427
12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
ITEM REVIEWED: Rig-Rag/Rig Grease

PURCHASED FROM / COST: Target Sports, $7 for the rag, $10ish for the grease.

PRO'S: I don't know where to begin. This stuff is awesome. First, one purchase will likely last you a lifetime. I polish up my guns regularly with this stuff and it's amazing. It coats with rust prevention grease, makes your gun shine like new, and works well as a nice lube. A TINY bit is all that is needed. A tip of a knife-full into the rag and then rubbed around the rag can clean all of my guns. I recommend this stuff to everyone who owns a gun; the sheepskin cloth is extra soft on even sensitive gun finishes. This stuff is absolutely amazing for long term storage because it's a grease, not an oil. There's nothing quite like it out there.

CON'S: It isn't free. Sometimes hard to find.

Overall Experience: If you see it somewhere, be sure to buy it. You won't be disappointed; I promise.

It lasts a long time!! I had a small jar of it last 16 + yrs and I used it a lot!! I just purchased a new tub that was 4X as big as my old one just because it was a good deal, my kids will be using it long after I am dead and gone. I gave away the 16 yr old half full one to a someone just getting started. It is a GREAT product that I use on ALL my guns.

malignity
12-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Eh.. I've tried at least 6 other types of grease.

I stand beyhind my statement.

snowdog
12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree it's great stuff (not the foam), been using it last 20 years, very easy to use and convenient.

sse
12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Eh.. I've tried at least 6 other types of grease.

I stand beyhind my statement.
Ok. But there are at least three or four others, which I have not tried, and which I doubt are noticeably less effective.

scot623
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Removed by the Moderator

malignity
12-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Wow..did someone from rig-rag piss in your cheerios?

LOL. You said exactly what I was thinking!

Will-IB-Ready
12-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Ok. But there are at least three or four others, which I have not tried, and which I doubt are noticeably less effective.
That's the problem.
This is a review of a single product. Unless you want to talk about Rig Rag/Rig Grease specifically, you're in the wrong place.
Let's keep these reviews on point.

mikeb32
12-14-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm trying to find it....He's right it is hard to find...Plus I am getting embarrassed asking for it by name!! Lol

john.41
12-14-2010, 09:02 AM
I've been using RIG since the '70's, never found anything else like it.
The way it spreads and seals metal is the best for protecting your guns. When ever I get another gun, stock or stocks come off, and it gets a thorough rubdown with RIG. Ever hunt in the rain for a few days, then finally get home for a good cleaning, and find traces of rust in the corners or under the stock? It has never happened to a gun of mine after treating them with RIG.

I'd suggest trying it before you say it's just GREASE.

malignity
12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to find it....He's right it is hard to find...Plus I am getting embarrassed asking for it by name!! Lol

Brownells has it! So does Midwayusa.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31843/Product/RIG_RAG_UNIVERSAL_GREASE_APPLICATOR

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31842/Product/RIG_reg__UNIVERSAL_GUN_GREASE

sse
12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I use Rig. But, I know of others out there that are probably the same in function.

Weapon Shield, Militec, Slide Glide, TW 25b, Lubriplate, Tetra. Remington markets one, Shooter's Choice has one.

malignity
12-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Of those, I've tried Shooter's Choice (I use their grease for my slides), as well as Militec and a handful of others. I still stick with Rig. Just not the same imo.

Will-IB-Ready
12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
I use Rig. But, I know of others out there that are probably the same in function.

Weapon Shield, Militec, Slide Glide, TW 25b, Lubriplate, Tetra. Remington markets one, Shooter's Choice has one.
Well, once you try one or more of them, you could start a comparison thread.

sse
12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Just not the same imo.
That's cool. I didn't mean to be an *ss about it. It just occurs that a grease product would have minimal differentiation across brands, but I'm sure those with more experience using them will gravitate to their faves...

john.41
12-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Here is an unbiased test by Brownells of rust preventatives.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12616/GunTechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Pr eventatives

miforest
12-29-2010, 11:13 AM
never tried anything else because it works so well. Order it NOW if you don't have some.

Mongo
12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Here is an unbiased test by Brownells of rust preventatives.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12616/GunTechdetail/Gun_Cleaning_Clinic__Knowing_the_Limits_of_Rust_Pr eventatives

This is a great test link. I've always used RIG, and always been happy with it. This test seems to prove that it's not just my opinion.

Ol` Joe
12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
never tried anything else because it works so well. Order it NOW if you don't have some.

+1
I`ve used Rig since the late 70s and have never had a rust problem with anything it has been used on even though my firearms have been stored mostly in basements.
It isn`t the best lube, but for long term rust it`s the closest thing to cosmoline! It can`t be beat IMO.

Batman
12-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Instead of steping on this post folks can create another review comparing products as to why there are or are not similar. Thanks

Passthru
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Ive been using the same rag and grease for the last 15 yes. I bought some after using it at a gun shop I worked at. The best stuff ever for protecting and storing your guns. Just grab the Rig Rag and wipe them down after handling and their good to go. Seem expensive at first but when you consider it will last you decades it's quit a buy.

Jay

tdbrown1969
05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Shipping is only $2.99

Rig Grease 12OZ jar $11.99

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=186359&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

Rig-Rag $8.59

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/186366__Birchwood_Casey_Cleaning_Supplies_Rig-Rag_Universal_Grease_.aspx?SR=1

rugersingleshot
06-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Ray at Target Sports sold me on it 10 years ago. Love it.

TAC
06-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Is it just for rust preventing, or a lubricant too? Their advertising appears to say it is not a lubricant. Also, how does grease polish, without having some kind of abrasive?

joepistol
06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
I just received my Father's Day present (to me - from me), an assortment
of small but needed items (well my Lee auto prime handle broke after 20+years)
and I included a 12oz. jar of RIG (currently on sale) for $9.99 (reg. $11.66)
from Natches shooters supply ...

they also have Hornady's Unique case lube for $2.99 ( reg.$3.24) doesn't sound like much of a sale, except I saw the same container (4oz?) at Basspro for $6.99 earlier this week..Joepistol..:pistols:

malignity
06-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Is it just for rust preventing, or a lubricant too? Their advertising appears to say it is not a lubricant. Also, how does grease polish, without having some kind of abrasive?

It does leave a slick shine behind, so it may be used as a lubricant likely. I use an all weather Shooter's choice to lube up my guns though.

Ol` Joe
06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Rig isn`t much of a lube, it is sulfonated petroleum grease, and is by design meant as a rust inhibitor 1st. Think Vaseline with a sulfur compound added to draw the moisture. It has been around since the 30`s IIRC, and there are better lubes today. It still is at the top of rust preventatives though, and I recommend and use it on all my guns.

happy1
07-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Along with Rig Universal preservative I use Rig's SS gun grease for close to Forty years now.

Paul