PDA

View Full Version : .45 GAP

ANIMAL
04-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Anyone have first hand info about this gun and cartridge?

Brian
04-28-2005, 08:10 PM
.45 Glock Automatic Pistol. Team effort between Glock and Smith & Wesson the way I understand it. The round is .160" shorter than a standard .45acp round, uses a small pistol primer and nearly the same ballistics as the standard .45 also. Smith & Wesson is chambering the XD in this calliber and from what I've read it shoots great. The idea behind the project was to get the same performance as a .45 from a slightly smaller package. I was hoping S&W would chamber the XD in a standard .45 but I may have to wait a while as they seems they are focusing on the GAP instead.

Combat Commander
04-28-2005, 08:34 PM
.45 Glock Auto Pistol is a joint effort between Glock and Speer. The round is shorter than a standard .45acp. uses a small pistol primer and has nearly the same ballistics as the standard .45 acp., but at +P pressures Glock & Springfield Armory both make pistols in this caliber.

IMO its a fad and will be the next 10mm or .41Mag.

45 acp
04-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Basically it gives you a 45 cal. bullet with the performance of a 45 acp in a gun with the frame size of a 9mm.

Here is is some good info on it.

http://www.miragetechnologies.net/45_gap_technical_brief.htm

WhoIsJohnGalt
04-29-2005, 04:28 AM
I have seen prices for some pistols chambered for the .45GAP already dropping.....like the Glock37.

Brian
04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
What the heck was I thinking. Speer not Smith & Wesson. I get the dummy award onthat one.

Jim Simmons
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Someone whose opinion I respect describes the .45 GAP as "a solution desperately in search of a problem."

Thrindle
05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Personally, I like the idea. What they haven't mentioned much is the main reason Glock wanted to make the .45 GAP. The reason is simply ease of manufacturing. The .45 GAP is exactly the same length as a 9mm and the .40 S&W. So Glock can make a .45 GAP gun that uses the same frame as the 9mm and .40 glocks, only the slide and barrel are different. It's easier and cheaper to manufacture. Springfield followed suit with a version because all they needed to do was make a new slide and barrell and put it on the frame it was already making for the 9mm and .40 guns.
I figure it will probably catch on, and all our favorite guns in 9mm and .40 will probably soon be available in .45 GAP.

Kurgan
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
I think a driving factor was Gaston's ego. He wanted his own cartridge seeing as how Sig has their 357, Ruger has their own successful cartridges and obviously S&W have a boatload of their own.

Gap doesn't offer any superior ballistics to the 45 Auto. I can buy 45 Auto anywhere from 165 to 230 grain and from 825 to almost 1300 fps with a variety of bullet styles. Gap doesn't offer this range/flexibility.

For Springfield and others, yes, it's easier to produce and cheaper since they never had to spend the money on developing a larger frame, larger slide, etc. For Glock, they just cobbled up what they already had.....a fat slide on a narrow frame. Just like Taco Bell....everything is either bean or meat, hard shell or soft shell, flat or curved.....and they've got 50 items on the menu! :D