PDA

View Full Version : ported guns and shooting in the dark!

RSF
04-30-2005, 06:21 PM
well once again today we dispelled another myth of the ported gun! myself whoisjohngalt, combat comander and johns son were shooting indoors and i decided once again what good time to try this in front of a few witness! so we took johns xd ported 40 and shut all the lights off the range stood 7yds from the target (human form) and ran a mag through the gun and we got lots of good hits keeping them all on the target and no ill effects to us at all and was able to pick up the sight and target no issues!

WhoIsJohnGalt
04-30-2005, 07:17 PM
After all the warnings of the "temporary blindness" that would be caused by low light/no light shooting with a ported gun, I fired a 12 round mag from my V10 ported XD and had absolutely no vision problems afterwards.
I am a believer........and I love that ported XD!

RSF
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
a real eye opener huh john! lol not like they say it! i guess one has to actually try this stuff out before beliving it

alex-vitek
05-01-2005, 06:54 AM
a real eye opener huh john! lol not like they say it! i guess one has to actually try this stuff out before beliving it
I remember a write-up in one of the popular gun magazines a couple of years ago on this very thing. The author ran tests similar to yours, shot in low light, in the dark, used different ammo, different guns, different targets, and did it indoors and outdoors. His conclusions were the same as yours.

Yet, like you say, some people will continue to go on a say things about the low-light shooting and muzzle or port flash. They read the article or your report and will immediately ignore or dismiss the conclusions.

I did the same sort of thing but my experimenting was to see the differences that different powders made in the muzzle flash or in the flash from the barrel cyclinder gap.

45 acp
05-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Well this handgun will cause temporary blindness from the muzzle flash.

Although it is not your typical carry gun. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.hunt101.com/img/099991.jpg

enfield
05-01-2005, 03:29 PM
My .30 carbine Blackhawk eargeschplittenloudenboomer is probably similar in muzzle flash. You can sure feel the shockwave!. :shock:

bluethunder
05-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Hey that looks like me shootin' the AR pistol? :roll:

Autumnlovr
05-02-2005, 07:44 PM
It looks like my hubby shooting his 35-Rem TC Contender. Impressive flash in low-light

45 acp
05-02-2005, 10:29 PM
It looks like my hubby shooting his 35-Rem TC Contender. Impressive flash in low-light

You win the prize it is a TC Contender .357 Remington Maximum :lol: :lol:

bluethunder
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM

You win the prize it is a TC Contender .357 Remington Maximum :lol: :lol:

Geez, that Contender didn't seem that brutal, Lauren. :?: And that's a brave guy, a .357 Maximum :shock: . That's got to leave a mark :lol:

ANIMAL
05-03-2005, 05:47 PM
I had a colt walker and when loaded with 50 gr of fff and a 44 round ball it looked about the same except it had large flashes coming from each side of the cylinder also.

We used to play capture the flag in the dark with blank loads. loved scaring the crap out of the newbies. :lol:

LivoniaDan
05-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Not to HiJack the thread, but - Does anyone that owns an XD have any preferences as to the 4" to 5" model. Leaning to 5" but thinking a 4" is better for carry.

RSF
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
i have shot both! i like the 4 inch better as a carry gun and it seams to point a bit better

Meta4
05-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I'll second the 4" model. It feels far more "natural" and is much better balanced than the 5" model. The Tactical tends to be noze-heavy and `dips' a bit.

-James