PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain to me...

eckzow
05-13-2005, 05:05 AM
A group of friends and I have decided that we enjoyed our experiences with firearms in the past and were looking to investigate, now that we're no longer officially minors, some training with handguns. Unfortunately the places I've looked (and I'll admit I've not exactly searched all that far or wide yet, but I have started looking) seem to imply the following, rather silly restrictions.

If you're over 18 you can get a permit to purchase a handgun, yet you cannot *rent* a handgun until you are 21.

Now, I'm somewhat baffled by this statement. Basically my friends and I would like to try things out and see if we're interested or if this is just one of those things that we've all decided we should do to see what happens. None of us are willing, nor even *want* for that matter, to own a handgun at this point. The people who give lessons, however, seem to require students to be 21+.

Have I just not looked far or wide enough? Thanks in advance.

Tallbear
05-13-2005, 05:33 AM
You'll find "most" of the 21+ requiremnet is for insurance purposes. THey can't get insured without following the "rules" put down by the insuance companies.

Keep watching this message board. We will be haveing another "fun shoot" in the near future where you can come out and try hand guns that otheres bring.

What part of the state are you located?

45 acp
05-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Contact Jim here .

http://webpages.charter.net/jjsport/ccwmain.html

You will get a full day of training and I dont think you have to be 21. Jim can answer for sure about any age requirement. Depending on where in MI you are at it might be a drive but the quality of training will be worth your money and time

Depending on where in the state you are I have another option for hand gun training. E-mail or pm me.

eckzow
05-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Sorry, should have included information on area orginally--we're located in SE Michigan, a little north of Detroit.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Tallbear
05-13-2005, 06:42 AM
We do fun shoots at The Firing Line in Westland (see banner on front page) and in Lansing at Total Firearms.

If you can get everyone together, pick a day and I'll meet you somewhere out by you with my guns. I have a pretty good variety from .22 and 44 Mag revolvers to 9mm, 40mm and .45 semi-auto.

Kouger
05-13-2005, 07:02 AM
The people who give lessons, however, seem to require students to be 21+.

I am an NRA Certified Instructor and I do not require "students" to be 21

However to get a CPL you must be 21 at the time of application.

I am in S.E. Michigan and will do one on one or small groups as well

you can Contact me in Email, Private Message or Visit my Site at

WWW.CCW4ALL.COM

Roger Roney
05-14-2005, 02:18 AM
Slightly OT, since you appear to be asking for "training," or "experience."

Stop by around 5 p.m., this Sunday at Hunts with Double Indoor Range, 23 Mile & Schoenherr, to check out Bowling Pin Shooting, and talk with knowledgeable people about what you need to do to further your interest, (or non-interest, :twisted: ) in the shooting sports.

You say you and your friends have some "experience" with guns and shooting. Hehe, I certainately can't promise anything on an open message board, but if you and your friends can demonstrate knowledge and safe handling of firearms, someone might let you "borrow" and have a try at pin shooting. :wink:

See "Shooting Events/Places to Shoot" Header. Look at the "Last PFH Pin Shoot Until..." or "May Day Massacre" threads.

Or go to Alex's homepage at http://home.ix.netcom.com/~alexvit/outdoor/amv.htm
Scroll down and click on link to the Power Factor Handgunners web page.

Roger

Trebor
06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
The people who give lessons, however, seem to require students to be 21+.

I am an NRA Certified Instructor and I do not require "students" to be 21

However to get a CPL you must be 21 at the time of application.

I am in S.E. Michigan and will do one on one or small groups as well

you can Contact me in Email, Private Message or Visit my Site at

WWW.CCW4ALL.COM

Sorry to drag up an old post, but:

The NRA now requires a minimum age of 21 for PPITH students. This was announced in a recent issue of the training newsletter that the NRA sends to instructors. I'll see if I can find the issue with the exact wording.

Kouger
06-28-2005, 11:29 AM
please do. i didnt see it