PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense gun.

Gdem007
12-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Hello All, I am new to MGO. I don't have any guns yet but hope to buy soon. I have been debating about whether to go with a HK P30, Walther P99, or the trusty old Glock. I think I want a .45 cal, I like the recoil but not sure what to purchase. In all honesty it will probably just sit on/in the night stand after the first year but anyway I need help making a decision. I think these are all reliable guns and the price really doesn't make a difference, I can save a litle more for the more expensive models... I have been to the local gun shops (Shooter Service, Firingline, Gander, ...) They are all very helpfull but I'm very indecicive. I like the Glock's weight and reputation but don't feel it is as accurate as the others? I like the others but someone brought to my attn. that getting parts and repairs may be a bit more costly, I am not very wealthy and have small children.

Funny aside, people always say shotgun but I find if you ask them what they reach for at home it ends up being a pistol 95% of the time.

Just thought maybe some of you may have some insight to add!!

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Greg

intheburbs
12-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Welcome to MGO.

Go find a range that rents these guns, take them for a test drive, and I'm sure you'll have a favorite. Plenty of reliable handguns out there - find one that you shoot well, buy lots of ammo, practice frequently and get training.

And yes, most people include a handgun in their home defense plan. However, poll most folks on here and you'll find that shotguns and black rifles are their primary choice. The old saying is "you use your pistol to fight your way back to your rifle."

3fingervic
12-24-2010, 01:29 AM
I have a few questions. Do you ever plan to conceal carry the gun? Would you want your wife to be able to shoot it? Will you put a light on it?

DetroitBiker
12-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Welcome to MGO.

Go find a range that rents these guns, take them for a test drive, and I'm sure you'll have a favorite. Plenty of reliable handguns out there - find one that you shoot well, buy lots of ammo, practice frequently and get training.

And yes, most people include a handgun in their home defense plan. However, poll most folks on here and you'll find that shotguns and black rifles are their primary choice. The old saying is "you use your pistol to fight your way back to your rifle."

+1 this is the best answer right here. And I might add,If there are little ones around you might want to look into a smal gun vault that opens
quick with touchpad or key for the handgun option.

Billetproof
12-24-2010, 02:33 AM
A biometric or fingerpad safe would be first with small children. Since you like 45 acp (the Walther P99 isn't available in 45acp) and money would be an issue, I would say go with the Glock. Best bet would be to go to a range and fire a rental to make sure it fits. Otherwise an affordable 1911 or Sig P220 would be the next choice.

Gdem007
12-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Thank you all so much you've given me some things tothink about! I will look into safes but was also thinking of just a trigger lock,, seems quick and easy? It will kept high on my tall dresser either way like 6 or 7' high.

I don't plan on carring this gun as it will be heavier than what I'd like to carry. Probably end up carrying a Ruger LCP or LCR.

I will however put a light on this gun. Sounds goofy to me to say out loud but no I don't think this will be for the wife to shoot. We'll have to get something a litle smaller and easier for her.

I like the old saying "you use your pistol to fight your way back to your rifle." Never heard that one before! Then again I'm pretty new to the whole gun world too I guess.

Another question though... What do you guys think about the notion that it would be better to get a .40 or 9mm because if ammo ran out those may be the last left being that the military and police use those rounds??? May sound a bit aliens, paranoid, and conspiracyish but what are your thoughts?

Thank you for your thoughts,

Greg

Joeywhat
12-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Few thoughts:

- Why is smaller 'easier' for your wife? Generally speaking smaller guns have more recoil and are overall more difficult to shoot.

- If you're picking up ammo from fallen military or police you're already FUBAR.

- Don't put a trigger lock on a loaded gun. PERIOD. And don't have an unloaded gun for home defense.

- A rifle is easier to manipulate and generally more effective at getting the job done then a pistol. Shotguns work great too...but generally a little harder to use then a rifle. Pistol caliber carbines or AR15/AK47 are always a good choice. Pistols aren't necessarily bad...I'd just rather have a rifle.

- If set on a pistol look for police trade in Glocks. Usually pretty cheap.

Gdem007
12-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Huh, thanks Joey, i guess you're right on the recoil and all I was just thinking of a 380 Ruger LCP or Diamondback, something she could get her hands around better but you bring good points to the table.

Trade ins... are they garbage the Dept. needed to get rid of?? What do you think about the quality of them and I guess of used guns in general? I was thinking of getting one from a Gun Show or on here but I'm fraid of buying someones junk they rigged to work a few more times untill i stumbled into the reason they sold it???

No trigger lock on a loaded gun, I must be missing something... I figured with one of those on it rendered it about as usefull as a rock???

Thank you all for your thoughts, very interesting... I am here to learn and see what the experts have to say and this is working out well for me!!

Greg

suesealu
12-24-2010, 05:00 AM
While removing a trigger lock from a gun with one in the pipe you may end up firing a round. That's why.

pkuptruck
12-24-2010, 05:22 AM
the type and size of weapon you choose is a persona matter.

Go to a range that rents handguns... and shoot some. You and your wife.

Find one you both are comfortable with... ( caliber, again... is personal choice.. )

Once you find one you BOTH like.... buy it.

THEN>>>

Both of you sign up for the plethora of classes listed on this site, or others...
and LEARN TO USE IT PROPERLY and EFFECTIVELY..

( then routine range work to enhance/keep up your training... as often as possible...)

:welcome:

mikent256
12-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Find one you both are comfortable with... ( caliber, again... is personal choice.. )

THEN>>>

Both of you sign up for the plethora of classes listed on this site, or others...

( then routine range work to enhance/keep up your training... as often as possible...)

This is great advice!

My thoughts originally were not to carry, so size wasn't an issue. Then, I got hooked, and started to go practice shooting more often with friends which ultimately would leave her un armed at home. So we both got our cpl's and she is just as comfortable handling the firearm. I still ended up buying a Mossberg 500 Persuader, which I have more fun shooting ironically lol.

kingd33
12-24-2010, 08:43 AM

THEN>>>

And you may be surprised about your wife,I thought mine was not going to like the Glock I bought but she loves it and out shoots me with it:(
Now I gotta get me a new one cause she took mine.

usmcpaul
12-24-2010, 09:27 AM
It sounds to me like you(and your wife) have little experience with pistols, so my advice would be to get a .357 revolver. They are like Kodak cameras, just point and shoot. They are the most reliable gun out there, never jam, have plenty of power, reasonably priced. You can also shoot .38's for practice which will help the wife get used to it and save money on practice rounds. Your wife won't be apprehensive about shooting it because the recoil with .38's is very low, so it is easy to comfortable/proficient with.

This is the same advice I gave my buddy 6 weeks ago and he loves it. He liked shooting so much he just bought a Buckmark for practice and is buying a Kimber in a few weeks. (I think I have created a monster.LOL)

We began shooting on a league a few weeks ago and it was truly eyeopening when the Kimber he was using (mine) jammed up on him during a timed event. Just the adrenaline rush of having a timer going and people watching him, made him look like a "monkey trying to F a football". He had no idea of how to clear it and was quite flustered. I could not imagine what would have happened if there was 2 huge bad guys closing in on him. Clearing a jam(especially in a high stress situation) takes practice, lots of practice, and if you are not proficient at doing it, it could turn into a fatal mistake for whoever is using it.

GPintheMitten
12-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Considering your concern about recoil for your wife's use, you might want to purchase a 9mm for your first shared gun, or the 38 special/357 revolver recommended above. Then if you both like it, you can get a second of the same caliber. With the same caliber and make and model, you simplify things for both of you.

You might try a Glock 19 and then as a second gun, get a Glock 26 (smaller)or 17 (larger). The mags will be interchangeable and they will operate the same.

Please don't think that a tall dresser adds much safety. When my kids were small, they climbed all over and would stack things up to be able to climb higher. Curiosity and challenges for little ones are great motivators.

Get a good handgun size safe, bolt it to something solid near your bed.

Joeywhat
12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Huh, thanks Joey, i guess you're right on the recoil and all I was just thinking of a 380 Ruger LCP or Diamondback, something she could get her hands around better but you bring good points to the table.

Trade ins... are they garbage the Dept. needed to get rid of?? What do you think about the quality of them and I guess of used guns in general? I was thinking of getting one from a Gun Show or on here but I'm fraid of buying someones junk they rigged to work a few more times untill i stumbled into the reason they sold it???

No trigger lock on a loaded gun, I must be missing something... I figured with one of those on it rendered it about as usefull as a rock???

Thank you all for your thoughts, very interesting... I am here to learn and see what the experts have to say and this is working out well for me!!

Greg

Police trade ins are typically in very good condition. Cosmetically they are well worn, but they are usually barely used.

The Smith and Wesson M&P series would be good for you I think. Naturally you should try it out at the range and run it to see if you like it yourself...I think it will be small enough for your wife to handle, plenty 'big' enough for you and performing HD duty. I carry one every day, full size 9mm. You're more then welcome to try mine out at the range some day.

Also remember that wil plastic framed guns you can modify the frames to fit people with smaller hands. Grip reductions allow people with small hands to get a better grip on the gun.

XDM 40 cal
12-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Hello All, I am new to MGO. I don't have any guns yet but hope to buy soon. I have been debating about whether to go with a HK P30, Walther P99, or the trusty old Glock. I think I want a .45 cal, I like the recoil but not sure what to purchase. In all honesty it will probably just sit on/in the night stand after the first year but anyway I need help making a decision. I think these are all reliable guns and the price really doesn't make a difference, I can save a litle more for the more expensive models... I have been to the local gun shops (Shooter Service, Firingline, Gander, ...) They are all very helpfull but I'm very indecicive. I like the Glock's weight and reputation but don't feel it is as accurate as the others? I like the others but someone brought to my attn. that getting parts and repairs may be a bit more costly, I am not very wealthy and have small children.

Funny aside, people always say shotgun but I find if you ask them what they reach for at home it ends up being a pistol 95% of the time.

Just thought maybe some of you may have some insight to add!!

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Greg

Well welcome to MGO and I would suggest that you go to a range and rent what you like to shoot and go from there...
At Top Gun rental with a gun will run you about 35 +tax... If you like to switch up to a different handgun i belive it's few buck's to rent another handgun...
PM me If you like, I can help you get started....8)

Dood
12-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Renting guns at the range is an excellent idea.
As well as training for each gun you 'test fire'.
A good Range Officer should be valuable to those efforts.

I personally believe a revolver is best for defense.
No 'safeties' to deal with and no 'racking the slide' either.

Just aim and pull the trigger.
To me those few seconds you save can be all the difference in the world.

However, that is just my opinion....many here strongly prefer a semi-automatic to a revolver.

EDIT to Add: I always end my Range Time with some Double Action firing with my revolver.
It is easy to just fire Single Action.
Practicing with Double Action for me anyways really helps my accuracy and adds to my training.

Gdem007
12-28-2010, 05:28 PM
So I found a guy with an older 500 ATP (Probably 8 or 9 years old I'm guessing/hoping) I can pick it up for $220.00, (doesn't sound like he shot it much at all). Or I can get a brand new 500 Persuader from Dicks for $330.00. I am not sure which is better, I know the one is new and ya that's great but I am thinking the 500 ATP is more comparable to the present 590 version.

Will I be able to get the M-4 style black hawk recoil reducing stock, the heat shield, change the fore grip to vertical and put the laser and light on the ends???

Or should I get the newer one and avoid all the hassle?? Yes money is an issue but so is reliability.

What do you guys think??

mikent256
12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I bought the Persuader and the Knoxx "non-recoiling" stock and I liked the stock but it made it harder to manuever the safety for the pump. So I took it off for a Hogue youth stock like many suggested and I like it much better. I shoulda listened. But now i'm selling my Knoxx stock!

esq_stu
12-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I use lock boxes to keep curious hands away. I keep one of the ones pictured in my night table drawer. Mechanical lock, I can open it by feel. I can fit a Glock 19 and spare mag in it. Or you can get one of those simple ones with a key lock for under $30. I have them too. When I am present, I leave the key in the lock. When I am not, either I take the gun with me or take the key. The reason I prefer them is that I prefer to keep my HD pistols loaded.

Coincidentally, I have a short story about this subject, from this week.

I have a lock box in my bedroom closet. I keep a couple of pistols in it. My wife started putting valuables in it a few years ago. At the time, I told her not to handle the guns - they are loaded. But she is not a gun person, and did not think much about it.

About 18 months ago, after over 30 years of marriage, she agreed to go to a range with me. She never wanted to listen to me about Rule 1 of gun safety (all guns are always loaded, even if they're not). We went over the rules before going to the range, which I made her memorize.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. I'm sitting at the kitchen table typing away on MGO. She plops the two pistols that were in the box, in their pocket holsters (a 9mm Kahr and a .38 snubby) on the table in front of me.

She: "Are these loaded?"

Me: "Yes, why?"

She (pissed off): "Because I went to get something from the lock box and they were in my way and one came out without the holster and I just threw it on the bed. I could have shot myself or someone else by accident! Why do you have to keep them loaded? Or if they're loaded, why can't you lock them up?"

Me: "I always keep them loaded and they are locked up. That is what the lock box is for."

She (more pissed off): "Well I just threw them on the bed and I could have had an accident!"

Me: "I told you the first rule of gun safety is 'all guns are always loaded' so you should have known better. The holster covered the trigger."

She: "Oh, yeah, you did tell me that. Maybe I better not keep my things in your gun safe."

I'm just saying . . .

SeeTee
12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Greg,
Welcome to MGO, you might consider coming out to the fun shoot January 7th in Westland it’s a great opportunity to see, talk, and shoot all types of guns, this event is ideal for someone new to guns like you, bring a friend and or other family member all are welcome and it is a free event.

More information here;

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116987

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116857

Charger rt
12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
ilove mgo but just watch what you say on here because it might come back to bite you in the but.. but all around mGo is a great website to learn and help teach other people things we dont know. i like how almost everyone works together.

:stooges:

SeeTee
12-29-2010, 06:08 PM
ilove mgo but just watch what you say on here because it might come back to bite you in the but.. but all around mGo is a great website to learn and help teach other people things we dont know. i like how almost everyone works together.

:stooges:

?:shrugs:

Gdem007
12-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I got through to a guy on MGO and got a nice Home Defense gun I will dress up and make my own!! It's pretty cool, it's an old police gun with the wood stock and foregrip.

Gdem007

joelansing
12-31-2010, 12:39 AM
My wife is 4'10", but she can shoot anything. She really likes her Mossberg 500 and our Hi-Point 9mm carbine. We also have a 22/22M revolver she likes, but that's not a HD weapon. I had to explain to her the 12ga Mossberg was nice outside with hearing protection, but if she popped that off a couple times in the house with the kids everyone would have permanent hearing loss. Now she has a 9MM pistol in the house she likes. Hi-Point C9. It goes bang every time, doesn't kick, and she's good with it. It's loaded with Federal 9BPLE rounds. We'd both rather use the Hi-Point 9MM carbine with laser, but the pistol stores a lot better in a fast access lock-box, and we have kids.

For in the house you really need to balance the zombie slayablility of say a AR15 or an assault shotgun against the safety factors of do I want to suffer hearing loss, can I store it easily and safely yet still have fast access, will it penetrate so far I risk hurting neighbors, and do I really need a BMG 50 to make a bad person go away at 10 yards? Just some thoughts.

- Joe